The £10 packet of cigarettes.

A right load of bollocks...

Re: The £10 packet of cigarettes.

Postby McAz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:53 pm

jra wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:I smoked about the same amount as you for decades - but I quit cold turkey. I've never vaped, some say it relaxes - does it?

In my case yes. It also takes the craving away from smoking cigarettes. I did amazingly quit smoking for about 4 years (before e-cigs became well known) and found it very difficult not to smoke when some of your peers are around, e.g. when going out. I eventually relented/gave in. e-cigs for me have filled that gap.

And of course, you don't get that cigarette smell in your clothing, breath and finger staining.

Fortunately, everyone around me quit too so temptation was not an issue. It's been about 9 years now, only very rarely when I'm driving do I miss it.

Keep up your efforts, tobacco really is a mug's game. :thumbsup:

It's also not a good idea to smoke while driving, just like using a mobile phone (non-hands-free) as it's a distraction. Also, you've got a problem if you accidentally drop the cigarette or the lit end falls off, which can happen if you smoke them down to the filter.

I smoked rollups - but just about everything you mentioned happened. Cars don't have ashtrays now or cig lighters so it's all a bit moot.
McAz

Postby jra » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:55 pm

McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:I smoked about the same amount as you for decades - but I quit cold turkey. I've never vaped, some say it relaxes - does it?

In my case yes. It also takes the craving away from smoking cigarettes. I did amazingly quit smoking for about 4 years (before e-cigs became well known) and found it very difficult not to smoke when some of your peers are around, e.g. when going out. I eventually relented/gave in. e-cigs for me have filled that gap.

And of course, you don't get that cigarette smell in your clothing, breath and finger staining.

Fortunately, everyone around me quit too so temptation was not an issue. It's been about 9 years now, only very rarely when I'm driving do I miss it.

Keep up your efforts, tobacco really is a mug's game. :thumbsup:

It's also not a good idea to smoke while driving, just like using a mobile phone (non-hands-free) as it's a distraction. Also, you've got a problem if you accidentally drop the cigarette or the lit end falls off, which can happen if you smoke them down to the filter.

I smoked rollups - but just about everything you mentioned happened. Cars don't have ashtrays now or cig lighters so it's all a bit moot.

I've noticed that. Nowadays there are other distractions like being able to make phone calls from the car and sat-nav.
jra

Postby McAz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:58 pm

jra wrote:
McAz wrote:I smoked rollups - but just about everything you mentioned happened. Cars don't have ashtrays now or cig lighters so it's all a bit moot.

I've noticed that. Nowadays there are other distractions like being able to make phone calls from the car and sat-nav.

I find a satnav indispensable - it's good to know traffic conditions, speed limits etc - and in country areas like this, the shape of the roads up ahead.
McAz

Postby jra » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:13 pm

McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:I smoked rollups - but just about everything you mentioned happened. Cars don't have ashtrays now or cig lighters so it's all a bit moot.

I find a satnav indispensable - it's good to know traffic conditions, speed limits etc - and in country areas like this, the shape of the roads up ahead.

It's good when it works, which it does most of the time, but not always. All I'm saying is it can be a distraction, as when you're looking at the sat-nav, you are essentially taking your eyes off the road in front.

The same can apply when talking to passengers and playing (loud) music.

When rallying, you normally have a passenger to read the map/sat-nav so the driver can concentrate on driving and obviously at those speeds you need to be totally on the ball.
jra

Postby McAz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:29 pm

jra wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:

It's good when it works, which it does most of the time, but not always. All I'm saying is it can be a distraction, as when you're looking at the sat-nav, you are essentially taking your eyes off the road in front.

The same can apply when talking to passengers and playing (loud) music.

When rallying, you normally have a passenger to read the map/sat-nav so the driver can concentrate on driving and obviously at those speeds you need to be totally on the ball.

It's an aid, nothing more - but more reliable than my missus screaming "that way" as she wrestles with a paper map. :smilin:
McAz

Postby Stooo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:56 pm

jra wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
Guest wrote:
Stooo wrote:Eight months on the vape and I really don't want another fag, forty years of that shit cost me how much?

Cutting the cigs instantly like that is impressive.

I've done the same and had been smoking since my 20's. I'm roughly the same age as Stooo. Even if vaping is as bad as smoking it saves you a ton of money in 'running costs'.

Did you still vape or have you given up nicotine addiction?

Still vape with the nicotine 'juices', but very few cigarettes. Only the odd one if offered, once in a while. I was never what you'd call a heavy smoker (10-15/day).

I can't abide the idea of an actual cigarette, I find the smell repellent now.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:58 pm

McAz wrote:

My car does (French) and my van does (2016, German).
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby McAz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:09 pm

Stooo wrote:
McAz wrote:

My car does (French) and my van does (2016, German).

I'm surprised. I've had 5 cars since my beloved Inca van died - none equipped for drug taking.
McAz

Postby jra » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:48 pm

Stooo wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
Guest wrote:Cutting the cigs instantly like that is impressive.

I've done the same and had been smoking since my 20's. I'm roughly the same age as Stooo. Even if vaping is as bad as smoking it saves you a ton of money in 'running costs'.

Did you still vape or have you given up nicotine addiction?

Still vape with the nicotine 'juices', but very few cigarettes. Only the odd one if offered, once in a while. I was never what you'd call a heavy smoker (10-15/day).

I can't abide the idea of an actual cigarette, I find the smell repellent now.

A good reason then to avoid, just like I can't stand the taste of drinks which have liquorice or aniseed in them. A notable example being Sambuco.
jra

Postby Fletch » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:15 pm

Snookerballs wrote:
Guest wrote:
Snookerballs wrote:
Fletch wrote:
Stooo wrote:Eight months on the vape and I really don't want another fag, forty years of that shit cost me how much?

:thumbsup:

Told you they were good years ago! :snooty:

San Francisco has banned all vape products

When vapes/e-cigarettes first got in circulation people used them everywhere. Slowly but surely they are becoming outdoor use in public only in the uk, with pub after pub banning them, and rightly so.

There is some medical evidence that vaping can cause " Pop Corn Lung" as with hazards of cigarette smoking major companies deny this problem and put forward medical evidence to deny this problem
San Francisco is the first to take the initiative

Do you have a link to any cases of it?

I've heard about it and it theoretically can if used in very high quantities, it's also caused by other things. I've never actually heard of a case though, or even a suspected case.

"Popcorn lung" is the nickname for bronchiolitis obliterans. That's a condition that damages your lungs' smallest airways and makes you cough and feel short of breath. It's sometimes caused by breathing in a chemical used to flavor microwave popcorn. But other chemicals or lung illnesses can also cause popcorn lung.

What Causes Popcorn Lung?

The chemical that gave this condition its nickname is diacetyl. After workers at a factory that packaged microwave popcorn were found to have bronchiolitis obliterans more often than other people, some companies stopped using diacetyl as a flavoring. But it's still used in some electronic cigarette flavors in the US. Many e-cigarette makers state they aren't using this chemical in their products and its use in e-cigarettes is banned in Europe.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/popcorn-lung#1
Fletch

Postby art0hur0moh » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:57 am

Guest wrote:Looks horrible, smells horrible, sooo bad for your health too. Why anyone with half a brain would smoke I don't :pukeup: know.
exclusive marketing, that is like asking why a Woman wants the seasons fashion. placing a limit on anything increases its perceived value. it is easier to control the price of clear diamonds with vaults full of them so they remain exclusive. then manufacture regulations where other countries can't provide a higher supply than De Beers forcing all competition to deal with their monopoly. the only diamonds that have any significant perceived value are colored.

though I became a nicotine junky due to cannabis culture! never felt any need or desire for tobacco till I discovered I like being stoned. but not a beer stoned, more a red wine stoned.
art0hur0moh

Postby LordRaven » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:05 am

We smokers are a dying breed.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby jra » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:59 am

LordRaven wrote:We smokers are a dying breed.

Good one.

Smokers are a nice little bunsen for the government, but also have to pretend they want people to stop. The problem in the future is that because cigarettes are so loaded with tax, the government are going to have to recover the lost income in other ways.
jra

Postby McAz » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:04 am

jra wrote:

Good one.

Smokers are a nice little bunsen for the government, but also have to pretend they want people to stop. The problem in the future is that because cigarettes are so loaded with tax, the government are going to have to recover the lost income in other ways.

Not really - there is plenty of evidence to support the belief that high pricing acts as an incentive to quit.
McAz

Postby LordRaven » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:14 am

McAz wrote:
jra wrote:

Good one.

Not really - there is plenty of evidence to support the belief that high pricing acts as an incentive to quit.

True, but I agree that the tax returns are good for government and if we all quit they'd have to make it up somewhere else.
Perhaps they'll tax "time online" :smilin:
LordRaven
Twat.

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms