The £10 packet of cigarettes.

A right load of bollocks...

Re: The £10 packet of cigarettes.

Postby Al Murray » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:50 pm

A pub landlord needs a good sense of humour as well as being an affable bloke.
This Rollup bloke would drive customers away.
I can’t recommend pub landlord to him, it’s a bad fit.
User avatar
Al Murray
 

Re: The £10 packet of cigarettes.

Postby Gabby » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:37 pm

BUDGIE wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
BUDGIE wrote:I'll tell you what, up here in Scotland the drink prices are getting out of order. The smokes?? I don't understand why you'd pay cash for something that does you no good whatsoever.

And before someone says "beer's like that!" - not in moderation it's not. It raises your HDL levels, lets you relax.. gives you an excuse to make a c**t of yourself.... shag horrors etc.

Pint of Coors in the Toby Jug pub - £4.50. Stalkers welcome to go in there and check for themselves. This is for a working class pub that had its windows panned in by cowardly Tims not so long ago. Upmarket it is not.

It's getting ridiculous to go have a night out with mates and end up spending £100 for about 6 hours of fun. JRA could rent a pro for that!!!!


It is the same down here, although even more expensive I am willing to bet. Pints are expensive now and I have curtailed going out so often because of it.
Where you are the Horrors, as you call them, will be crying in their drinks because all their chances at a romp will be at watching football or movies home having stocked up the fridge with cheap booze from the supermarket.



That's why the populations of Coatbridge, Blantyre, Motherwell, Airdrie are dwindling.... :trollface:

I don't like drinking in my house - it feels antisocial somehow.


I like being antisocial sometimes! :Wiiiine!:
User avatar
Gabby
 
Posts: 21115
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: The £10 packet of cigarettes.

Postby Jobless Oddball » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:40 pm

BUDGIE wrote:
I don't like drinking in my house - it feels antisocial somehow.


Morelike ya missus won't let ya drink in the flat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pmsl:
User avatar
Jobless Oddball
 
Posts: 2867
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: The £10 packet of cigarettes.

Postby Stooo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:48 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:As I've seen pubs closedown reopen closedown reopen it has often crossed my mind .... how many pints etc do you have to sell each week to make it worthwhile.


Depends on many things.

You're allowed to say you don't know.


It's not an easy question to answer. It depends on what you're selling, how much per unit of drink, how many staff and what you pay them, business rates etc. etc.

Also, AFAIK the VAT/duty is higher on alcoholic drinks (it varies depending on whether it's cider, beer, spirits) than on non-alcoholic drinks and beverages.

Fuck me I already get the obvious!
So I need to turn over at least seven grand a week in a small pub to get myself a grand a week wages .... no wonder they're all fucking closing down.


Well yeah.

Add into the mix Mr Tim Martin (the immigrant) who will buy up basically derelict sites and turn them into the McDee's for the over forties and his brewery contracts to buy near to date stock for sod all only to sell it at a discount that closes any competition.

My old man always said that the pound in your pocket was the passport to a pint anywhere.
User avatar
Stooo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 94790
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:24 am
Location: The Jack Spratt of Forums.

Re: The £10 packet of cigarettes.

Postby LordRaven » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:58 pm

£2.59 a pint isn't bad though :smilin:
User avatar
LordRaven
 
Posts: 35900
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:39 pm
Location: Enceladus

Re: The £10 packet of cigarettes.

Postby BD/s little sister » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:09 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Guest wrote:Looks horrible, smells horrible, sooo bad for your health too. Why anyone with half a brain would smoke I don't :pukeup: know.

BD doesn't have half a brain.

I don't have half the money I used to have either Jack.
I'm being forced to cut down my smoking habits nowadays.
MP's drinks are subsidised within Westminster, not sure about their cigarettes though.
User avatar
BD/s little sister
 

Re: The £10 packet of cigarettes.

Postby jra » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:15 am

Stooo wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Stooo wrote:Depends on many things.

You're allowed to say you don't know.


It's not an easy question to answer. It depends on what you're selling, how much per unit of drink, how many staff and what you pay them, business rates etc. etc.

Also, AFAIK the VAT/duty is higher on alcoholic drinks (it varies depending on whether it's cider, beer, spirits) than on non-alcoholic drinks and beverages.

Fuck me I already get the obvious!
So I need to turn over at least seven grand a week in a small pub to get myself a grand a week wages .... no wonder they're all fucking closing down.


Well yeah.

Add into the mix Mr Tim Martin (the immigrant) who will buy up basically derelict sites and turn them into the McDee's for the over forties and his brewery contracts to buy near to date stock for sod all only to sell it at a discount that closes any competition.

My old man always said that the pound in your pocket was the passport to a pint anywhere.


Much like the supermarkets have undercut a lot of local businesses/shops which in turn have gone out of business. You can't beat a country pub with its own log fire, but they'll never be able to compete with Wetherspoons.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 17804
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: The £10 packet of cigarettes.

Postby HobbitFeet » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:29 am

they don't want to compete with Wetherspoons though, if they find the right location they can be an absolute success and carve out their own niche

great location, thoughtful food, charm, ambience = £20 for a dover sole and £6 for a glass of Chablis, not £5 for a burger and pint
User avatar
HobbitFeet
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12330
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: The £10 packet of cigarettes.

Postby jra » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:45 am

HobbitFeet wrote:they don't want to compete with Wetherspoons though, if they find the right location they can be an absolute success and carve out their own niche

great location, thoughtful food, charm, ambience = £20 for a dover sole and £6 for a glass of Chablis, not £5 for a burger and pint


As you say in the right location. I haven't eaten Dover Sole, but I have Lemon Sole. My preferred fish are Haddock and Plaice. Quite tasty if fresh, not so good if they've seen any ice along the way.

One fish I do want to try is Turbot.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 17804
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: The £10 packet of cigarettes.

Postby HobbitFeet » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:49 am

jra wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:they don't want to compete with Wetherspoons though, if they find the right location they can be an absolute success and carve out their own niche

great location, thoughtful food, charm, ambience = £20 for a dover sole and £6 for a glass of Chablis, not £5 for a burger and pint


As you say in the right location. I haven't eaten Dover Sole, but I have Lemon Sole. My preferred fish are Haddock and Plaice. Quite tasty if fresh, not so good if they've seen any ice along the way.

One fish I do want to try is Turbot.



Turbot is my dad's favourite

I think you can't beat a piece of halibut but at £30-35 a kilo it's not for every day

we do eat loads of fish though, my daughter prefers it to meat which is quite unusual for a teenager I think
User avatar
HobbitFeet
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12330
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: The £10 packet of cigarettes.

Postby jra » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:06 am

HobbitFeet wrote:
jra wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:they don't want to compete with Wetherspoons though, if they find the right location they can be an absolute success and carve out their own niche

great location, thoughtful food, charm, ambience = £20 for a dover sole and £6 for a glass of Chablis, not £5 for a burger and pint


As you say in the right location. I haven't eaten Dover Sole, but I have Lemon Sole. My preferred fish are Haddock and Plaice. Quite tasty if fresh, not so good if they've seen any ice along the way.

One fish I do want to try is Turbot.



Turbot is my dad's favourite

I think you can't beat a piece of halibut but at £30-35 a kilo it's not for every day

we do eat loads of fish though, my daughter prefers it to meat which is quite unusual for a teenager I think


We are getting into luxury territory there with Halibut.

Fish is more about the freshness rather than the make.

A Plaice you've caught yourself will be better than any Halibut bought in a restaurant, supermarket or even a fishmonger.

Fish and ice (frozen partly or wholly) do not mix, it's as simple as that, but for most people there isn't a choice, so you have to settle for second best.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 17804
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: The £10 packet of cigarettes.

Postby Gabby » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:08 am

LordRaven wrote:£2.59 a pint isn't bad though :smilin:


£1.59 beer... £1 water! :mrgreen:
User avatar
Gabby
 
Posts: 21115
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:51 pm

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests