Can the man who found the Titanic find Amelia Earhart?

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Can the man who found the Titanic find Amelia Earhart?

Postby jra » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:22 am

As for Amelia Earhart, I'd say the chances of locating the aircraft and/or her remains are low, but it would be good in terms of closure.

It might be possible using the technology which does this, but you're looking for a far smaller aircraft than an airliner.

NATURE: Drain the Oceans
On: 5Select (55)
Date: Thursday 22nd August 2019 (starting in 8 days)
Time: 22:00 to 23:00 (1 hour long)

An anytime alert is set for 15 minutes before the programme starts
Malaysia Airlines 370. Series 1, episode 10.
The case of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, which disappeared without a trace in March 2014, and why technology has so far been unable to find its wreckage.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marked By: 'Reminder: Drain the Oceans' and 'Favourite: Drain the Oceans' markers
Keywords: Natural World
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=45488

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 17804
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: Can the man who found the Titanic find Amelia Earhart?

Postby Bessie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:42 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Bessie wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:Doesn’t seem like a safe thing to travel around with.

Like a petrol tank? :mrgreen:

I always carry a Jerry can filled with petrol in my boot, it's perfectly safe in a suitable container.


Always? I’d keep one in the garage if I had to but wouldn’t want to have it on me all the time. Living in a city means a petrol station is never far away anyway. It’d be different if I lived out in the styx.

Always. I don't live in the sticks but I often have to travel to the middle of nowhere and in the middle of the night too, so it's essential for me.
User avatar
Bessie
 
Posts: 1137
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:36 pm

Re: Can the man who found the Titanic find Amelia Earhart?

Postby Lady Murasaki » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:09 am

Bessie wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Bessie wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:Doesn’t seem like a safe thing to travel around with.

Like a petrol tank? :mrgreen:

I always carry a Jerry can filled with petrol in my boot, it's perfectly safe in a suitable container.


Always? I’d keep one in the garage if I had to but wouldn’t want to have it on me all the time. Living in a city means a petrol station is never far away anyway. It’d be different if I lived out in the styx.

Always. I don't live in the sticks but I often have to travel to the middle of nowhere and in the middle of the night too, so it's essential for me.


If I was travelling to the middle of nowhere (Norwich) I’d make sure my tank was full by looking at the meter.
Carrying extra around just seems weird. And dangerous.
User avatar
Lady Murasaki
 
Posts: 31125
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Can the man who found the Titanic find Amelia Earhart?

Postby Bessie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:14 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Bessie wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Bessie wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:Doesn’t seem like a safe thing to travel around with.

Like a petrol tank? :mrgreen:

I always carry a Jerry can filled with petrol in my boot, it's perfectly safe in a suitable container.


Always? I’d keep one in the garage if I had to but wouldn’t want to have it on me all the time. Living in a city means a petrol station is never far away anyway. It’d be different if I lived out in the styx.

Always. I don't live in the sticks but I often have to travel to the middle of nowhere and in the middle of the night too, so it's essential for me.


If I was travelling to the middle of nowhere (Norwich) I’d make sure my tank was full by looking at the meter.
Carrying extra around just seems weird. And dangerous.

It's not dangerous if it stored correctly. You do know you have a petrol tank in your car? :mrgreen:

I have to travel into the countryside to rescue animals. It could be three in the morning when I'm called out, the place is often hard to find and I don't know how far I'm going to have to travel to take the animal to a vet or a rescue centre or back home with me to rehabilitate. The last thing I want is to be stuck in a field in the middle of the night with an injured animal and no petrol. It just makes sense to be prepared.
User avatar
Bessie
 
Posts: 1137
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:36 pm

Re: Can the man who found the Titanic find Amelia Earhart?

Postby Lady Murasaki » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:26 am

Can’t you just keep your tank full if you know you’re on call? I can understand doing it in the countryside.
User avatar
Lady Murasaki
 
Posts: 31125
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Can the man who found the Titanic find Amelia Earhart?

Postby Bessie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:55 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:Can’t you just keep your tank full if you know you’re on call? I can understand doing it in the countryside.

I do but I'd rather be safe than sorry. For example, I can be dealing with one incident then get called straight to another and have two animals that need to go to different places. If a centre is full, I might have to go to the next county or even further, so it just makes sense to carry extra. I live on the outskirts of a small town but most of my call outs are in the countryside.

Although a colleague was called out a couple of days by an elderly lady who had found a mouse and several babies nesting in her dyson vacuum cleaner. She'd spilt some flour in her kitchen and wanted to clean it up but was terrified of killing the mice, and the vet wouldn't help so she called us. :mrgreen:
User avatar
Bessie
 
Posts: 1137
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:36 pm

Re: Can the man who found the Titanic find Amelia Earhart?

Postby Lady Murasaki » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:21 am

Well it does make sense for you, not so much for me.

Mice? <shudder>
User avatar
Lady Murasaki
 
Posts: 31125
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Can the man who found the Titanic find Amelia Earhart?

Postby Text » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:12 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Guest wrote:
Text wrote:
Cobs wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:She's dead who cares?

Look at the route the atlantic hop is 2,000 miles. Pacific is 8,000 miles and each step you have to hit a titchy island with exactitude.
Cui bono?


Yah, I guess in terms of distance she still had a fair way to go.
But still, she was on the final leg of a multileg journey, as LR's chart shows.
Having already flown over the air spaces of so many countries without any problems.
Guess it wasn't meant to be. :(

Ran out of fuel, couldn’t find the island and ditched.
Shark food probably.


I’ve had days like that.

Now I try to keep an eye on the petrol meter.

The dashboard lights up like a beacon when the fuel is low. Big hint!! Can't miss it. :Hiya:
User avatar
Text
 
Posts: 21000
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Can the man who found the Titanic find Amelia Earhart?

Postby jra » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:32 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Bessie wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Bessie wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:Doesn’t seem like a safe thing to travel around with.

Like a petrol tank? :mrgreen:

I always carry a Jerry can filled with petrol in my boot, it's perfectly safe in a suitable container.


Always? I’d keep one in the garage if I had to but wouldn’t want to have it on me all the time. Living in a city means a petrol station is never far away anyway. It’d be different if I lived out in the styx.

Always. I don't live in the sticks but I often have to travel to the middle of nowhere and in the middle of the night too, so it's essential for me.


If I was travelling to the middle of nowhere (Norwich) I’d make sure my tank was full by looking at the meter.
Carrying extra around just seems weird. And dangerous.


Norwich in the middle of nowhere. :pmsl: I've heard it all now.

As an aside, I was watching a documentary about Joanne Dennehy (one of the few women in the UK who has a life tariff) where after the narrator described Harpenden as a little/small town (you might just get away with that), said Luton was the same. Some more research needed there I think unless you think a population of 200k+ is a small town. :thumbsup:
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 17804
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: Can the man who found the Titanic find Amelia Earhart?

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:15 pm

Must be hard for bessie living in a country without 24/7 petrol stations :thumbsup:
And carrying a can of petrol around in the boot of your car is dangerous. If you're a car crash and someone runs into the back of you on a motorway you're a bomb.
Fill your canister with water and drop it off a tall building and see if it stays intact when it hits the ground :off head:
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: Can the man who found the Titanic find Amelia Earhart?

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:30 am

jra wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Bessie wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Bessie wrote:
Always? I’d keep one in the garage if I had to but wouldn’t want to have it on me all the time. Living in a city means a petrol station is never far away anyway. It’d be different if I lived out in the styx.

Always. I don't live in the sticks but I often have to travel to the middle of nowhere and in the middle of the night too, so it's essential for me.


If I was travelling to the middle of nowhere (Norwich) I’d make sure my tank was full by looking at the meter.
Carrying extra around just seems weird. And dangerous.


Norwich in the middle of nowhere. :pmsl: I've heard it all now.

As an aside, I was watching a documentary about Joanne Dennehy (one of the few women in the UK who has a life tariff) where after the narrator described Harpenden as a little/small town (you might just get away with that), said Luton was the same. Some more research needed there I think unless you think a population of 200k+ is a small town. :thumbsup:


Yes Norwich. :dunno:
User avatar
Lady Murasaki
 
Posts: 31125
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Can the man who found the Titanic find Amelia Earhart?

Postby jra » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:27 am

Guest wrote:Must be hard for bessie living in a country without 24/7 petrol stations :thumbsup:
And carrying a can of petrol around in the boot of your car is dangerous. If you're a car crash and someone runs into the back of you on a motorway you're a bomb.
Fill your canister with water and drop it off a tall building and see if it stays intact when it hits the ground :off head:


Chances are if you get hit that hard that your petrol container ruptures, your petrol tank will also rupture, other than you might be dead anyway. :doomed:
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 17804
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: Can the man who found the Titanic find Amelia Earhart?

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:27 am

jra wrote:
Guest wrote:Must be hard for bessie living in a country without 24/7 petrol stations :thumbsup:
And carrying a can of petrol around in the boot of your car is dangerous. If you're a car crash and someone runs into the back of you on a motorway you're a bomb.
Fill your canister with water and drop it off a tall building and see if it stays intact when it hits the ground :off head:


Chances are if you get hit that hard that your petrol container ruptures, your petrol tank will also rupture, other than you might be dead anyway. :doomed:


What about the fumes? Petrol stinks. If you carry it all the time and drive a lot you’re subjecting yourself to fumes.

Hmm, that might explain a few things about some of the forummers. :srs?:
User avatar
Lady Murasaki
 
Posts: 31125
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Can the man who found the Titanic find Amelia Earhart?

Postby Dean » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:25 pm

Guest wrote:Must be hard for bessie living in a country without 24/7 petrol stations :thumbsup:
And carrying a can of petrol around in the boot of your car is dangerous. If you're a car crash and someone runs into the back of you on a motorway you're a bomb.
Fill your canister with water and drop it off a tall building and see if it stays intact when it hits the ground :off head:


What a ridiculous comparison...
User avatar
Dean
 
Posts: 43096
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Can the man who found the Titanic find Amelia Earhart?

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:35 pm

Dean wrote:
Guest wrote:Must be hard for bessie living in a country without 24/7 petrol stations :thumbsup:
And carrying a can of petrol around in the boot of your car is dangerous. If you're a car crash and someone runs into the back of you on a motorway you're a bomb.
Fill your canister with water and drop it off a tall building and see if it stays intact when it hits the ground :off head:


What a ridiculous comparison...




How so?
Don't they test crash cars by driving rams into them at speed. If you dropped a petrol canister from a height it could 20/30/40 miles ph. Or FPS. enough to fracture the can. plus it will be thrown around the boot in a crash.
Don't get me wrong I don't give a fuck if bessie carries in the back of car. It's the other car I'm thinking about :dafinger:
User avatar
Guest
 

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: calitom, dr synne and 14 guests