9/11 - Conspiracies & Crackpots

A right load of bollocks...

9/11 - Conspiracies & Crackpots

Postby HobbitFeet » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:43 am

It amazes me that it is so long ago

I clearly remember being on a short day and getting home, there was a program I used to like with Toyah Wilcox in it, something to do with guessing property prices but the property usually had a twist (like teetering on the edge of a cliff), so I put television on, there was a scene of a plane flying into a building and I genuinely thought I was watching a film until the awful realisation that this was breaking news

I'm sure my memory of that day is slightly false as it has been covered so much since, but the memory of finding out what was happening is very very clear

so where were you when you found out what was happening?
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Re: 9/11 - 18 years ago today

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:47 am

I arrived home in time to see the plane hit the tower and immediately thought ... that's a demolition job ... a controlled demolition.
I'd just sneaked out the fire escape at an industrial unit where steel girders were having corner pieces welded on and then painted and escaped the health and safety raid!
My oldest son arrived at my house at the same time and said it before I could get the words out.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby McAz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:57 am

I can no longer separate my memories of the day and the videos I've seen subsequently. I do remember thinking though that the yanks are going to use this as an excuse to justify just about anything, and I was right.
McAz

Postby NastyNickers » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:06 am

I don’t really remember much. I must have just started high school. I can recall listening to it on the car radio, outside my sisters nursery. And then getting home and it being on the TV. But I don’t think I really understood the significance of it till a few years later.
NastyNickers

Postby Meg » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:11 am

I was at work in london. It was a very surreal afternoon as all sorts of rumours were flying about regarding planes on their way to london as well, not being able to leave, then being told to go early and so on.

Wasnt till I got home and saw the news that the enormity of what happened became real. :shake head:
Meg

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:15 am

NastyNickers wrote:I don’t really remember much. I must have just started high school. I can recall listening to it on the car radio, outside my sisters nursery. And then getting home and it being on the TV. But I don’t think I really understood the significance of it till a few years later.

Yes I heard it first on the car radio but wasn't really listening as I had other stuff on my mind.
I drove under the impression there had been a massive terrorist attack on a train station and managed to figure out I wasn't making sense of it and would be home in twenty minutes check it out then.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby TWAT » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:26 am

I'd just started work at what would turn out to be my final job in I.T..

Started on Monday, 9/11 happened on the Tuesday and I was sacked on the Thursday.

Weird week overall ..
TWAT

Postby Vam » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:04 am

I was in the bedroom, unpacking after a trip. Had a News channel on as background noise, as usual. Saw it all, as it was breaking. Sat immobile on the bed, and just kept incredulously staring at that TV screen for what must have been hours.
Vam

Postby Drunk Dalek » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:09 am

Busiest work day ever. It was absolutely insane.
Drunk Dalek

Postby Nucks » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:32 am

I was driving a school bus but we heard about via the radio. I turned the tv on when I got home and remember watching the towers collapse. It didn't seem possible that such enormous structures could do that. The amount of debris would have been mind-blowing.

Have we made any headway with terrorism? We just seem to keep cutting the head off but not addressing why it keeps growing new ones.
Nucks

Postby Middens » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:33 pm

Yes, it was such a shock that it's created all these flashbulbs of memory. Where you were what you were doing, even the weather.

It's horrific that so many were killed in the collapse but now it also seems many who survived are now suffering from cancers and respiratory illnesses because the dust was so toxic. A hideous legacy and I don't even think these people will be counted as official victims of that attack.
Middens

Postby Vam » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:41 pm

One of the more poignant comments I've read today was about the men who are currently graduating from their Police/Firefighter academies, whose fathers/mothers were among the dead First Responders.
Vam

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:43 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:It amazes me that it is so long ago

I clearly remember being on a short day and getting home, there was a program I used to like with Toyah Wilcox in it, something to do with guessing property prices but the property usually had a twist (like teetering on the edge of a cliff), so I put television on, there was a scene of a plane flying into a building and I genuinely thought I was watching a film until the awful realisation that this was breaking news

I'm sure my memory of that day is slightly false as it has been covered so much since, but the memory of finding out what was happening is very very clear

so where were you when you found out what was happening?

I was working on a penthouse with a roof top patio in Manhattan. I was outside cutting a bit of wood and went into the apartment. When a co worker came running in saying a plane had just fly over head real low. We went outside to look and it was the first plane to hit the towers. Next thing we see smoke drifting across the skyline. A plasterer who happened to be an Egyptian told us on that on his transistor radio news reports said a small/light plane had crashed into the twin towers.
After a bit we returned to work as we didn't know what was going on. Next thing the second plane hits and everyone knew it was an attack.
The radio is saying that up to 11 planes are unaccounted for. We stood on the patio rooftop and watched an F15 plane fly past us travelling at max speed, and it seemed to stop in mid flight and turn left. Something that I found weird thinking it looked like an impossible maneuver. We decide to call it a day and get off the island before they shut it down. We had to walk across the 59th st Bridge along with thousands of others. Finally made it back to our local bar where we stayed and watched NY1 news.
A lot of Police/ Firemen drank in the bar and some were good friends. No one knew who was alive or dead.
At the time no one noticed, but one of our guys was a fireman who worked construction on his days off. He was on our job that day. When the first plane hit he took off his toolbelt left it on the floor where he was working and headed to the towers. He died there. We didn't know until about a week later and when we went back to work. His Tool belt was there where he had left it.

Postby xtras1 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:50 pm

Cannot recall where I was at the time ... but the news images stick in my mind.
xtras1

Postby Frankly » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:17 pm

Not until I got back from work. I put the tv on to watch the news, and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Shocked to the core. I even cancelled going out that night for birthday drinks.
Frankly

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms