What does 'gammon' refer to in modern English..

A right load of bollocks...

Re: What does 'gammon' refer to in modern English..

Postby LEGENDARY » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:02 pm

Stooo wrote:
LEGENDARY wrote:
Stooo wrote:
LEGENDARY wrote:parlance?

See it appearing out of context nowadays...

It was coined by Dickens :ooer:

Charles Fucking Dickens

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

The meaning of that term—gammon,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I am proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.

HTH :thumbsup:

Fair enuff! :thumbsup:

I can categorise them up to a point having spent a lot of time with them, in my defence I only joined the Con Club in my old town because it had an excellent snooker table.

They're mainly insular racists who aren't keen on women being more than a step above the negro. Always angry and moaning about something rather than just getting on with it.

Wankers basically... :dunno:

Appreciated it originates from the Charles Dickens passage it is only in the last few months that I have come across its quite frequent usage online, or has it been used regularly far longer than that in recent times?
LEGENDARY

Postby Stooo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:17 pm

LEGENDARY wrote:Appreciated it originates from the Charles Dickens passage it is only in the last few months that I have come across its quite frequent usage online, or has it been used regularly far longer than that in recent times?

I'm totally guilty of this but I don't give a fuck, our country has been divided between gammons and remoaners and it's harming relationships as well as really potentially causing sectarian problems.

Mercer and Bannon did this with some help from Putin. It makes me feel a bit Fletch to post about it but I just watch people who follow the money. If you do Reddit Poppencream is a good well researched source.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby LordRaven » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:05 pm

Stooo wrote:
LEGENDARY wrote:Appreciated it originates from the Charles Dickens passage it is only in the last few months that I have come across its quite frequent usage online, or has it been used regularly far longer than that in recent times?

I'm totally guilty of this but I don't give a fuck, our country has been divided between gammons and remoaners and it's harming relationships as well as really potentially causing sectarian problems.

Mercer and Bannon did this with some help from Putin. It makes me feel a bit Fletch to post about it but I just watch people who follow the money. If you do Reddit Poppencream is a good well researched source.

That won't be of interest to Felch then, he prefers SputnikRadioMoscowKremlinSouthFrontDisinformationClearingDachajustlikeUncleJoe'sVladPutinApproved.com
LordRaven
Twat.

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms