Random Stuff # 32

Big Threads

Random Stuff # 32

Postby Avon Barksdale » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:54 pm

dis wrote:Has anyone been to Berlin? I’m going there for a concert, it’s not somewhere I’d ever thought about going to, any good places to eat or things to see?

I went to Berlin to run the half marathon last year and it's an amazing city. I would go back in a heartbeat.

I went with the family so you may want a different experience but did some touristy stuff (Brandenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, East Side Gallery, the Tiergarten, took a boat ride etc) which was all great. It's easy to get round on the trains (just remember to punch the ticket at the machine on the platform before you travel though!)

Spoilt for choice when it comes to food. There's a Turkish influence along with the more traditional German stuff and it's reasonably priced.
Avon Barksdale

Re: Random Stuff # 31

Postby dis » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:57 pm

calitom wrote:
dis wrote:Has anyone been to Berlin? I’m going there for a concert, it’s not somewhere I’d ever thought about going to, any good places to eat or things to see?

I was there summer of '85.there is a pic of me jumping halfway up the wall(i was 27. i was superman at the time).had a great time. Loved the all nite cafes
and the different sections of the city.
East Berlin was creepy but interesting. I wandered into an area i shouldnt have been in and was surrounded by 4 stasi.thank God I didnt misplace my passport.
We had a ton of this worthless east german money,.I gave it all away to the east berlin cab driver.he was thrilled cuz at least he could use it.

They should still have an east germany--at least a re-enactment of it---so you corbyn type idiots would understand what communism is.

It’s crazy how different it will be now compared to when you went. My nephew has been, he’s planning to go back.
dis

Postby Avon Barksdale » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:00 pm

NastyNickers wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:I'm going to the Reading Festival for the first time in about 20 years for the Sunday only (ain't no one got time for camping) because....

Rage Against The Machine are headlining! I am ridiculously excited.

Also, I booked some limited availability tickets for my wife and my eldest daughter to see Dear Evan Hansen in two weeks time. I took my eldest over the weekend but thought it was really something my wife and her should see together as well (the relationship between Evan and his mother is central to the story and so relatable.)

Annoyingly they are better seats than the ones I booked about ten months ago and were marginally cheaper! Why I outta...

Oh I am envious!
I saw Prophets of Rage a few years ago when they supported Eminem. I’d give my right bollock to see actual rage.

IKR!!

They haven't toured in over a decade. There's six of us going but I'm sure I am the most excited ;)
Avon Barksdale

Postby dis » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:08 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:

I went to Berlin to run the half marathon last year and it's an amazing city. I would go back in a heartbeat.

I went with the family so you may want a different experience but did some touristy stuff (Brandenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, East Side Gallery, the Tiergarten, took a boat ride etc) which was all great. It's easy to get round on the trains (just remember to punch the ticket at the machine on the platform before you travel though!)

Spoilt for choice when it comes to food. There's a Turkish influence along with the more traditional German stuff and it's reasonably priced.

I suppose it’s because we are going to see a concert there, not because we want to go there if you know what I mean. Fourtet and squid soup at the velodrom, can’t wait for that.

We are staying in a hotel looking out on to a river so it might be nice to go on a boat ride, that’s good to know about the trains. My husband would like to go and see the thing goodwife linked to, me not so much.

I think I’ll be happy to eat and drink and potter about, there might be more things on as we get nearer the time, we aren’t going to be there for long, we changed our minds and decided to stay just 2 nights.
dis

Postby Avon Barksdale » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:14 pm

dis wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:

I suppose it’s because we are going to see a concert there, not because we want to go there if you know what I mean. Fourtet and squid soup at the velodrom, can’t wait for that.

We are staying in a hotel looking out on to a river so it might be nice to go on a boat ride, that’s good to know about the trains. My husband would like to go and see the thing goodwife linked to, me not so much.

I think I’ll be happy to eat and drink and potter about, there might be more things on as we get nearer the time, we aren’t going to be there for long, we changed our minds and decided to stay just 2 nights.

There's lots of stuff concentrated around the Brandenburg Gate area so you could get a lot done in a day (depending on how energetic you feel.)

The weirdest thing was seeing the remnants of the Berlin Wall. They've only kept a small amount of it and unless you know it was there could easily miss it for the shops etc. Strange to think people were getting shot there not so long ago!
Avon Barksdale

Postby dis » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:21 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
There's lots of stuff concentrated around the Brandenburg Gate area so you could get a lot done in a day (depending on how energetic you feel.)

The weirdest thing was seeing the remnants of the Berlin Wall. They've only kept a small amount of it and unless you know it was there could easily miss it for the shops etc. Strange to think people were getting shot there not so long ago!

Cheers for that, that’s helpful. :smilin:
dis

Postby Fletch » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:55 pm

calitom wrote:

I was there summer of '85.there is a pic of me jumping halfway up the wall(i was 27. i was superman at the time).had a great time. Loved the all nite cafes
and the different sections of the city.
East Berlin was creepy but interesting. I wandered into an area i shouldnt have been in and was surrounded by 4 stasi.thank God I didnt misplace my passport.
We had a ton of this worthless east german money,.I gave it all away to the east berlin cab driver.he was thrilled cuz at least he could use it.

They should still have an east germany--at least a re-enactment of it---so you corbyn type idiots would understand what communism is.

It wasn't communism Tom.
Fletch

Postby Toke 'n' gesture » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:23 pm

Stepped on a plug. Bloody hurt.
Toke 'n' gesture

Postby xtras1 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:28 pm

Toke 'n' gesture wrote:Stepped on a plug. Bloody hurt.

I feel your pain.. ouch!
xtras1

Postby Toke 'n' gesture » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:39 pm

xtras1 wrote:

I feel your pain.. ouch!

Right in the instep, the fleshy bit. Ouch is a lot tamer than what came out of my mouth!
Toke 'n' gesture

Postby xtras1 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:42 pm

Toke 'n' gesture wrote:
xtras1 wrote:

I feel your pain.. ouch!

Right in the instep, the fleshy bit. Ouch is a lot tamer than what came out of my mouth!

:pmsl: I can imagine!

The worst part to hit.
xtras1

Postby Toke 'n' gesture » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:46 pm

xtras1 wrote:
Toke 'n' gesture wrote:
xtras1 wrote:

I feel your pain.. ouch!

The worst part to hit.

If my gf didn't leave her hairdryer cable trailing on the floor it wouldn't have happened, but apparently it's my fault for not watching where i'm walking ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Toke 'n' gesture

Postby xtras1 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:48 pm

Toke 'n' gesture wrote:
xtras1 wrote:
Toke 'n' gesture wrote:
xtras1 wrote:

I feel your pain.. ouch!

The worst part to hit.

If my gf didn't leave her hairdryer cable trailing on the floor it wouldn't have happened, but apparently it's my fault for not watching where i'm walking ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Have to agree with her! Look where you are going :laughing:
xtras1

Postby Dean » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:49 pm

You have a girlfriend?
Dean

Postby Toke 'n' gesture » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:53 pm

xtras1 wrote:Have to agree with her! Look where you are going :laughing:

Should've known, women stick together :razz:
Toke 'n' gesture

Next