Are Kelloggs CoCo Pops Racist . ??

A right load of bollocks...

Are Kelloggs CoCo Pops Racist . ??

Postby Snookerballs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:51 pm

You could not make it up ,

Now Kelloggs CoCo Pops are deemed to be rascist by a Labour MP .
Kelloggs Rice Krispies do not feature a BAME "Snap . Crackle , and Pop" person on the box .

https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/16/ex-labour-mp-asks-kellogs-why-coco-pops-are-advertised-monkey-12858168/
Snookerballs

Re: Are Kelloggs CoCo Pops Racist . ??

Postby drum » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:00 pm

Well why do the rice crispies have white faced elfs while coco pops have a monkey ? bearing in mind the monkey references used towards black people, often.. Nobody is going around imitating elfs in front of white people.
I can understand why folk would be offended.
I wouldn't say they were racist per se but the packaging isn't great.. no matter how many years they've been around. Maybe it wasn't deliberate, but we're in changing times now and if the packaging is offending people then time to change it.

People probably don't even get it until its pointed out to them.
drum

Postby xtras1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:37 pm

Tbh if everything is going to offend someone then I'm offended there are only white elves... on another note are white people seen as elves..

Coco the monkey was never intended to offend any one ..but it could be used against a black person they could be called coco...

My ex & my son have been called pikey, paddy Seamus anything connected with Irish to offend.

It's a very sensitive subject & really only matters to those offended.
xtras1

Postby Avon Barksdale » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:43 pm

Wait till they hear about the Um Bongs adverts...

It seems there is a concerted effort to start a culture war which will distract away from meaningful political change at this moment in time.

Edit: just watched the old Kia Ora advert on YouTube. Oh my days.
Last edited by Avon Barksdale on Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avon Barksdale

Postby xtras1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:45 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:Wait till they hear about the Um Bongs adverts...

It seems there is a concerted effort to start a culture war which will distract away from meaningful political change at this moment in time.

Sometimes I feel the division will be widened...
xtras1

Postby Avon Barksdale » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:48 pm

xtras1 wrote:

I care about this as much as the statues.

Can we have some investment in youth services, public libraries, mental health provision, social housing please?
Avon Barksdale

Postby xtras1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:52 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
xtras1 wrote:

Can we have some investment in youth services, public libraries, mental health provision, social housing please?

Exactly.. so many fantastic youths out there with skills waiting to be exposed.

Housing & education .. needs a kick up the arse also.
xtras1

Postby drum » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:53 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
xtras1 wrote:

Yes 100% needed. The systematic reduction of all youth services play a large part in todays unrest, 10+ years of austerity has decimated just about everything. The money was always there, removing those services was always a cruel and vicious move. Now people are angry and the government are like :dunno:
drum

Postby Avon Barksdale » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:56 pm

drum wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
xtras1 wrote:

Yes 100% needed. The systematic reduction of all youth services play a large part in todays unrest, 10+ years of austerity has decimated just about everything. The money was always there, removing those services was always a cruel and vicious move. Now people are angry and the government are like :dunno:

Exactly.

I guess it's in the Government's interests to witter on about wokeness, statues and Royal Commissions rather than doing the hard work of real world policy implementation.
Avon Barksdale

Postby xtras1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:59 pm

drum wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
xtras1 wrote:

So true drum... now we have youths no where to Hang out other than streets, they need a place to be creative learn, even apprentices are no longer in the majority of work places.
xtras1

Postby Avon Barksdale » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:03 pm

xtras1 wrote:
drum wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
xtras1 wrote:

So true drum... now we have youths no where to Hang out other than streets, they need a place to be creative learn, even apprentices are no longer in the majority of work places.

Precisely.

You can't dismantle the infrastructure which allows disadvantaged kids safe routes into civil society and opportunities and then shrug your shoulder wondering why they get lured into county lines gangs.

Clearly it's all the fault of drill music...
Avon Barksdale

Postby drum » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:07 pm

You don't see it until you see it. no true ?
I haven't seen um bongo for years.. doesn't mean its not around its a thing i've never bought. I don't believe for a minute the people of the Congo ever drank um bongo. :snooty:
drum

Postby Avon Barksdale » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:12 pm

drum wrote:

You don't see it until you see it. no true ?
I haven't seen um bongo for years.. doesn't mean its not around its a thing i've never bought. I don't believe for a minute the people of the Congo ever drank um bongo. :snooty:

Yeah, I haven't seen Um Bongo around for yonks, or Kia Ora for that matter. Watching the adverts now shows how much society has changed since the 80s.
Avon Barksdale

Postby xtras1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:18 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
Precisely.

You can't dismantle the infrastructure which allows disadvantaged kids safe routes into civil society and opportunities and then shrug your shoulder wondering why they get lured into county lines gangs.

Clearly it's all the fault of drill music...

Don't get me wrong.. if a young one wants to go down that road of being a gang member because it sounds better than any youth club they will go down that road, you only have to see the celebs snoop, drake, young thug etc promoting a easy life... then wonder where it all went wrong for the youths who join gangs they want what the celebs have.

Even now that artist for want of a better word 6ix9ine
Is being bullied by his idols..... all because his snitched .. no one likes a snitch.. but the youth look up to this lot .
Instead of using a platform to educate the youth they have told their story in their songs & has been replicated in the streets.
xtras1

Postby xtras1 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:20 pm

Excuse the writing on my phone.. difficult see the screen :mrgreen:
xtras1

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms