The Strange Case of Adele and Cultural Appropriation

A right load of bollocks...

The Strange Case of Adele and Cultural Appropriation

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:41 am

For the Notting Hill Carnival this year, Adele (who is looking great) posted a photo on her Instagram account showing her wearing a Jamaican flag bikini with her hair in bantu knots.

This caused a certain amount of consternation with some (mostly American) commentators:

but also pushback from many (British) people saying this was not appropriation but appreciation given the history of Carnival.

So, what do you think? Is this a clear case of appropriating another culture to make yourself look good or something positive?
Avon Barksdale

Re: The Strange Case of Adele and Cultural Appropriation

Postby drum » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:47 am

I thought it was a lot of noise over nothing. She was celebrating the carnival and the people there had no issue with how she looked, else they'd soon have told her. She's looking great. I thought she looked like a sunflower. :wubbers:
drum

Postby HobbitFeet » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:55 am

I would have thought celebrating together was the theme rather than fighting about cultural appropriation

but it's not my culture so it's not going to bother me
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:57 am

drum wrote:I thought it was a lot of noise over nothing. She was celebrating the carnival and the people there had no issue with how she looked, else they'd soon have told her. She's looking great. I thought she looked like a sunflower. :wubbers:

Yes, I didn't see what all the fuss was about either. People have been celebrating Carnival in this way for as long as I can remember.

I think part of the issue is that some of the arguments arising from the BLM movement have a much more US-centric basis which doesn't translate that well into a UK setting. We certainly have work to do but I have the perception that we are not anywhere near as divided as the US.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Red Okktober » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:52 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
drum wrote:I thought it was a lot of noise over nothing. She was celebrating the carnival and the people there had no issue with how she looked, else they'd soon have told her. She's looking great. I thought she looked like a sunflower. :wubbers:

Yes, I didn't see what all the fuss was about either. People have been celebrating Carnival in this way for as long as I can remember.

I think part of the issue is that some of the arguments arising from the BLM movement have a much more US-centric basis which doesn't translate that well into a UK setting. We certainly have work to do but I have the perception that we are not anywhere near as divided as the US.

You should have a read of Mathew Syed's 'Identity Politics Has Shattered America' article in last weeks Sunday Times - some interesting stuff about MLK's vision - that of colour mattering less and not more - the exact opposite of BLM, and how the US is segregating students by colour - 72% of colleges had separate graduation ceremonies for black students - 'Blackalaureate' 'Raza' and other silly-named ceremonies. 42% of colleges have segregated halls of residence for black and minority students. Naturally, the US left are seeing both these things as a 'celebration of diversity'. You couldn't make it up.

There was also some stuff about cultural appropriation - a black dancer was accused of it because she did an Irish jig, and was castigated for being racist. She was also accused of it on a second count, because apparently her eyebrows are tapered, which 'appropriates Asian beauty features'.

I would agree it's far worse in the US than here at the moment. But with BLM hanging around like a bad smell here, we will start catching them up.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/american ... ion-189788
Red Okktober

Postby Red Okktober » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:53 pm

I wrote eyebrows but got the smiley instead.

Eye brows
Red Okktober

Postby Honeybee » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:25 pm

It’s because she was so very, very large not so long back that they need to find new ways to take pot-shots at her.

But I doubt it’s going to work. :canny:
Honeybee

Postby xtras1 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:00 pm

Fgs she was brought up in Tottenham .. she is showing her love for Jamaica & the community .. wish these jobsworths would fuck off!
xtras1

Postby NastyNickers » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:41 pm

I don’t think it’s appropriation.
She’s celebrating the carnival. It’s quite clearly appreciation.
NastyNickers

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:15 pm

Red Okktober wrote:I would agree it's far worse in the US than here at the moment. But with BLM hanging around like a bad smell here, we will start catching them up.

I think we might have some of the trends that are happening in America but can't really see it being as OTT or having as much traction. We are a different country with a different history.

A lot of it seems like the whole "political correctness gone mad" stuff but in a different guise to me. There will be some organisations which take it too far for British tastes but can't see it being a seismic shift in thinking or if it is headed in that direction there will be a correction.

The question is what the younger generation will do when they get into positions of power as they seem far more on board with thinking of race in a different way rather than trying to transcend it along the lines of the previous civil rights struggles.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Stooo » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:13 pm

It's probably got something to do with Mumsnet :ooer:

It's bollocks, the carnival has always been mainly about West Indian culture and people dress up for the occasion. Are you going to go to a death metal concert in a three piece suit? Conclusive proof that twattery crosses all human boundaries.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Text » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:20 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:For the Notting Hill Carnival this year, Adele (who is looking great) posted a photo on her Instagram account showing her wearing a Jamaican flag bikini with her hair in bantu knots.

This caused a certain amount of consternation with some (mostly American) commentators:

but also pushback from many (British) people saying this was not appropriation but appreciation given the history of Carnival.

So, what do you think? Is this a clear case of appropriating another culture to make yourself look good or something positive?

It's her life, she can dress how she wants.
Even if she wants to sashay around like a native Red Indian squak, complete with 6foot high feather headdress, it's her business.

So incredibly talented, she achieved so much so young, far more than her critics will ever achieve in a lifetime.
I love her to bits.
Text

Postby Red Okktober » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:45 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
I think we might have some of the trends that are happening in America but can't really see it being as OTT or having as much traction. We are a different country with a different history.

A lot of it seems like the whole "political correctness gone mad" stuff but in a different guise to me. There will be some organisations which take it too far for British tastes but can't see it being a seismic shift in thinking or if it is headed in that direction there will be a correction.

The question is what the younger generation will do when they get into positions of power as they seem far more on board with thinking of race in a different way rather than trying to transcend it along the lines of the previous civil rights struggles.

I don't know mate, i would say things have got worse since people first used the 'political correctness gone mad' and 'PC brigade' terms 10-15 years ago. Some of what was said then was quite predictive of where we are at now and where we are heading.

I hope you are right, and society self-corrects itself before we do become USA Lite . I'm fiercely anti-liberal, and I'm struggling to think of any positive signs re the 'woke train' being slowed down. if anything, the recent BLM nonsense has caused the wheels to turn even faster.
Red Okktober

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:01 pm

Will white men still be able to sing the blues?
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Stooo » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:02 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Will white men still be able to sing the blues?

People will always sing the blues.
Stooo
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms