Covid vaccine...

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Covid vaccine...

Postby .SF. » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:32 am

Holly wrote:
.SF. wrote:Now they're at the top of the list I hope as many NHS workers as possible step up to the plate and get vaccinated, and not be put off by gossip that they might be given something dangerous.

Why are you not even worried just a little bit? Vaccines usually take at least 10 years to be considered safe, this vaccine has been developed in just a few month, can you really blame people for being a bit cautious?

I think we've been round that loop several times already in this thread.
.SF.

Postby Bessie » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:34 am

George wrote:
Bessie wrote:My dad went into hospital with a lung infection two weeks ago and caught covid from another patient. He was put on a BiPap machine and is receiving antiobiotics, steroids and remdesivir. My mum is beside herself because she can't go and visit him.

Wear a fucking mask!

I am sorry to hear that, I hope he recovers soon

Thank you x
Bessie

Postby Holly » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:33 am

.SF. wrote:
Holly wrote:
.SF. wrote:Now they're at the top of the list I hope as many NHS workers as possible step up to the plate and get vaccinated, and not be put off by gossip that they might be given something dangerous.

Why are you not even worried just a little bit? Vaccines usually take at least 10 years to be considered safe, this vaccine has been developed in just a few month, can you really blame people for being a bit cautious?

Oh well, what more is there to say then? We covered it all.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Toke 'n' gesture » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:41 am

Bessie wrote:My dad went into hospital with a lung infection two weeks ago and caught covid from another patient. He was put on a BiPap machine and is receiving antiobiotics, steroids and remdesivir. My mum is beside herself because she can't go and visit him.

Wear a fucking mask!

Sorry to hear that Bessie :( Hope he gets well soon.
Toke 'n' gesture

Postby Toke 'n' gesture » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:44 am

ArchieG wrote:
Toke 'n' gesture wrote::yess:

Around 20,000 people in Wales will be given a Pfizer vaccine in the first batch of deliveries, the health minister has confirmed.

Vaughan Gething said there are initially 800,000 vaccines coming to the UK of which Wales gets a population share of just under 40,000.

As two shots are required this means that 20,000 will be able to have the vaccine in the first delivery to Wales, which will be spread evenly across the country.

...the target was to start administering the jabs on Tuesday of next week.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/heal ... y-19385981

I won't be getting it until next year sometime, going by the lists that are going around.

Theres some of the Modena vaccine to come, and buckets of the Astra Zeneca one, assuming both of them are approved, which looks likely.

Hopefully! But i'll still be one of the last to get a vaccine because of my age. Still, i'll be happy to get it whenever, i just want everything to be 'normal' again!
Toke 'n' gesture

Postby ArchieG » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:45 am

Toke 'n' gesture wrote:

Wear a fucking mask!

Very much so. and this is why we all need the vaccines ASAP, NHS staff and patients in the 1st tranche. Bessie's dad is far from the first to get covid in hospital.
ArchieG

Postby .SF. » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:00 am

Holly wrote:
.SF. wrote:
Holly wrote:

Oh well, what more is there to say then? We covered it all.

Yes, I think the point here is that people were concerned about the apparent short development time and speculated corners might have been cut, after all if vaccines usually take years so how could they do this in months? That was my initial reaction too. But when you look a little deeper you find that development started much earlier in anticipation of a new virus appearing, explained in detail in some of the links put up here. In addition all the usual safety tests have been carried out with no indication of problems other than the occasional non-serious side effects some people get from a routine flu vaccination.
Last edited by .SF. on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
.SF.

Postby Gabby » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:07 am

ArchieG wrote:
Toke 'n' gesture wrote:

Wear a fucking mask!

Very much so. and this is why we all need the vaccines ASAP, NHS staff and patients in the 1st tranche. Bessie's dad is far from the first to get covid in hospital.

It’ll be interesting to see how many NHS staff decline it? :NAA:
Gabby

Postby Gabby » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:10 am

As for pregnant women not being offered the vaccine.... many medications aren’t deemed suitable in pregnancy! :dunno:
Gabby

Postby Red Okktober » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:23 pm

I hear a doc on the radio explain how safe the covid vaccines are.

They are using a new type of vaccine called messengerRNA (mRNA). Traditional vaccines involve being injected with weakened or inactive cells of the disease in order to create antibodies. But not with mRNA. In effect, you are being injected with instructions for your cells to produce a protein, or part of a protein.

In this case, your cells are instructed to produce part of the spike protein found on the surface of the virus, but no other part of the virus. It's impossible for your body to produce other virus parts without the instructions. I suppose it's like buying a model kit for a train, and a train is the only thing you could make from it, you won't suddenly find yourself with a model of the Eiffel Tower instead.

Once your body has produced spike proteins (completely harmless by themselves), it recognises that they shouldn't be there, and the immune system creates antibodies to fight them off. So if you catch the virus, and the next time a spike protein enters your body, in the form of covid, the antibodies produced from the earlier instructions (vaccine), are already there, ready to do the business for you.
Red Okktober

Postby dog » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:55 pm

ArchieG wrote:
Toke 'n' gesture wrote:

Wear a fucking mask!

I still won't be first in line :thumbsup:
dog

Postby dog » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:59 pm

Red Okktober wrote:I hear a doc on the radio explain how safe the covid vaccines are.

They are using a new type of vaccine called messengerRNA (mRNA). Traditional vaccines involve being injected with weakened or inactive cells of the disease in order to create antibodies. But not with mRNA. In effect, you are being injected with instructions for your cells to produce a protein, or part of a protein.

In this case, your cells are instructed to produce part of the spike protein found on the surface of the virus, but no other part of the virus. It's impossible for your body to produce other virus parts without the instructions. I suppose it's like buying a model kit for a train, and a train is the only thing you could make from it, you won't suddenly find yourself with a model of the Eiffel Tower instead.

Once your body has produced spike proteins (completely harmless by themselves), it recognises that they shouldn't be there, and the immune system creates antibodies to fight them off. So if you catch the virus, and the next time a spike protein enters your body, in the form of covid, the antibodies produced from the earlier instructions (vaccine), are already there, ready to do the business for you.

So would natural antibodies work in the same way?

I did read somewhere that even after antibodies leave the body the immune system remembers and goes into action to stop the virus.
dog

Postby dog » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:00 pm

Wear a fucking mask!

Hope he gets well soon.
dog

Postby Red Okktober » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:43 pm

dog wrote:So would natural antibodies work in the same way?

I did read somewhere that even after antibodies leave the body the immune system remembers and goes into action to stop the virus.

The antibodies produced as a result of the vaccine are also natural - they naturally develop in response to having been instructed to produce the spike proteins.

i presume you mean antibodies produced as result of having had covid rather than being vaccinated? I imagine they work the same way, although I guess it's possible they may attack a different part of the virus cell other than the spike protein.

There are also T cells in the body which 'remember' things, and they are part of the process that produces antibodies. So in theory, if you can catch the virus more than once, your body is better equipped to deal with it than it was the first time, probably leading to milder symptoms.
Red Okktober

Postby Red Okktober » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:43 pm

I hope your Dad is doing well Bessie.
Red Okktober

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms