Puzzles riddles paradoxes

Big Threads

Puzzles riddles paradoxes

Postby .SF. » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:31 pm

I like them but the random thread might not be the right place.

Here's one - you want to use a grill pan to toast three slices of bread but it's only wide enough for two. If it takes 20 seconds to toast one side what's the quickest you can toast all three slices on both sides.
.SF.

Re: Puzzles riddles paradoxes

Postby HobbitFeet » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:50 pm

slice 1 and slice 2 - first side

slice 1 (turned over) and slice 3 - slice 3 first side, slice 1 ready

slice 2 and slice 3 - the 2nd side of both

so 1 minute
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby .SF. » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:21 pm

Nice one
.SF.

Postby .SF. » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:03 am

Maths (probability) question:

A pencil has five sides, on one of the sides it's printed with the words 'HB PENCIL', the other sides have nothing printed on them. If you roll the pencil on a table what is the probability it will come to rest with the printed side uppermost?
.SF.

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:39 am

1 out of 5. Or 1/5.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Cobs » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:00 pm

Cobs

Postby LordRaven » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:14 am

Here's a proper puzzle that will baffle the boffins the world over because nobody can explain it...

"art0hur0moh"
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:27 am

LordRaven wrote:Here's a proper puzzle that will baffle the boffins the world over because nobody can explain it...

"art0hur0moh"

Needs a proper sleep pattern. And no screen time. And stop listening to the very miserable Jordon Peterson.
Lady Murasaki

Postby .SF. » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:06 am

I don't think there's been an explanation for what's wrong with the reasoning behind this one.

You can't give a class a surprise test.

Teacher tells class she will give them a surprise test one day next week, they won't know which day they're getting it. Someone points out it can't be Friday because if it hasn't happened by then it won't be a surprise. That leaves Thursday as the last possible day. But if it hasn't happened by then it won't come as a surprise so that rules out Thursday. Same reasoning rules out Wednesday and Tuesday, leaving Monday as the only possible day, but if Monday's the only possible day then it won't be a surprise.

So she can't give them the surprise test.
.SF.

Postby Text » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:42 pm

.SF. wrote:I don't think there's been an explanation for what's wrong with the reasoning behind this one.

Teacher tells class she will give them a surprise test one day next week, they won't know which day they're getting it. Someone points out it can't be Friday because if it hasn't happened by then it won't be a surprise. That leaves Thursday as the last possible day. But if it hasn't happened by then it won't come as a surprise so that rules out Thursday. Same reasoning rules out Wednesday and Tuesday, leaving Monday as the only possible day, but if Monday's the only possible day then it won't be a surprise.

I don't quite get this. Maybe it's a comprehension problem on my part. :dunno:

Now, it's not a surprise that the class is going to have a test cos she's told them they will be having one.
HOWEVER the day she chooses to give it, will certainly be a surprise cos the pupils don't know the day it will happen[unless of course it's the very last day-friday, as you say].
Text

Postby Text » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:51 pm

What about the pencil puzzle? Let's have some feedback on that one, SF.

Like others have said, it should be a simple 1 in 5 chance.
Theoretically the etchings might make a difference in the calculations, cos the 5 surfaces are not identical but it will be a vanishingly small difference ... i think. :ooer:
Text

Postby .SF. » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:16 am

Surprise test: I could have worded it better, the surprise element = they won't know in advance which day they'll be getting it.

Pencil: probability = zero.
.SF.

Postby drum » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:22 am

.SF. wrote:Surprise test: I could have worded it better, the surprise element = they won't know in advance which day they'll be getting it.

The pencil.. I was thinking that the side with writing on would be heavier and if you rolled it it would stop heavy side down.. I haven't tried that though.
drum

Postby Lady Murasaki » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:17 am

.SF. wrote:Surprise test: I could have worded it better, the surprise element = they won't know in advance which day they'll be getting it.

Are you saying you can’t roll a pentagonal pencil or that the printed bit was at the end which you’re now telling us is a side? eyebrow
Lady Murasaki

Postby Raggamuffin » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:25 am

.SF. wrote:I don't think there's been an explanation for what's wrong with the reasoning behind this one.

That's an old one - I heard it in the late '70s, except it was a surprise party. :mrgreen:
Raggamuffin

Next

Return to The Archive