POWER CUTS

A right load of bollocks...

POWER CUTS

Postby eek » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:32 am

Looks like we'll be having some through the coldest days/nights of winter, best scenario they'll be three hours long three times a week. Top up on your torches and batteries guys! Might be worth getting a few books too!
eek

Re: POWER CUTS

Postby Dean » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:39 pm

Isn’t it worst case scenario, not best scenario?

More scare mongering nonsense I think.
Dean

Postby eek » Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:03 pm

Dean wrote:Isn’t it worst case scenario, not best scenario?

No. It is the best case scenario, the worst case is a total black out, second worse case scenario is double the best case scenario. It's not scaremongering it's a very possible event.

I'd stock up on torches and batteries if I were you
eek

Postby Dean » Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:33 pm

eek wrote:

No. It is the best case scenario, the worst case is a total black out, second worse case scenario is double the best case scenario. It's not scaremongering it's a very possible event.

Best case scenario is no black outs at all you spaz.
Dean

Postby eek » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:25 pm

Dean wrote:
eek wrote:

Best case scenario is no black outs at all you spaz.

This thread is about power cuts, you thick piece of shit
eek

Postby Stooo » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:36 pm

Best not to use candles unless it's just tea lights for burners or flower pot heaters, there's plenty of alternatives out there. I've got PIR activated lights that last around three days before they need a recharge by USB Micro and I charge them with a power bank that I charge up from the fag lighter in the van during the day. I've got an LED lantern thing with two torches included as well as a couple of Maglights, a Mini and one that you could beat someone to death with :thumbsup:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby eekymaceekface » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:07 pm

Stooo wrote:Best not to use candles unless it's just tea lights for burners or flower pot heaters, there's plenty of alternatives out there. I've got PIR activated lights that last around three days before they need a recharge by USB Micro and I charge them with a power bank that I charge up from the fag lighter in the van during the day. I've got an LED lantern thing with two torches included as well as a couple of Maglights, a Mini and one that you could beat someone to death with :thumbsup:

Go you stoo! I'd also get some books in as the internet will be a long distant friend during those dark hours! I've bought a few serial killer ones just to keep me going lol. I've also bought a wind up radio for emergency listening just in case the bbc need to tell us about a new PM or something
eekymaceekface

Postby Stooo » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:24 pm

eekymaceekface wrote:
Stooo wrote:Best not to use candles unless it's just tea lights for burners or flower pot heaters, there's plenty of alternatives out there. I've got PIR activated lights that last around three days before they need a recharge by USB Micro and I charge them with a power bank that I charge up from the fag lighter in the van during the day. I've got an LED lantern thing with two torches included as well as a couple of Maglights, a Mini and one that you could beat someone to death with :thumbsup:

Go you stoo! I'd also get some books in as the internet will be a long distant friend during those dark hours! I've bought a few serial killer ones just to keep me going lol. I've also bought a wind up radio for emergency listening just in case the bbc need to tell us about a new PM or something

Cell towers are unlikely to suffer loss of power so you can just hotspot your phone if you need to use a lappy or tablet (I have two spare lappys) and the same goes for the majority of the digital network, this is the infrastructure that will not suffer from power outages and if the shit hit the fan then they have massive battery backups; I've been around some of the headends and they have been constantly prepared for such an event for decades, your router may well work if you you plug it into a gennie because fibre doesn't need a 9V line like POTS does.

I've got a Goodmans digital/FM tranny that is AC and DC (four AA's) powered, four bluetooth speakers and the phone to connect them to but if you want to go all hair shirt then it's up to you I guess. I do need to get back to reading my books though, it's been a while and I miss them.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Red Okktober » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:25 pm

Most people use candles during power cuts - why are you advising it's best not to use them?

The design of a candle hasn't changed much over the years, and in pre-electricity days, everyone used them.
Red Okktober

Postby Stooo » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:35 pm

Red Okktober wrote:

Most people use candles during power cuts - why are you advising it's best not to use them?

The design of a candle hasn't changed much over the years, and in pre-electricity days, everyone used them.

Because of fire really. I had a chat with my eldest who is applying to be a volunteer fireman and candles are a major risk, the insurance may not pay out if you've not thought about the possible situations and consequences first but that usually only happens with fatalities I suppose :dunno:

We didn't used to have tea lights or candles in bottles like Yankee Candles so I would say that they have changed a bit since the thin Prices ones that we had in the 70's. The fact is that there are better alternatives that don't have the potential to burn you and your neighbours to death.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby eekymacetc » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:02 pm

Stooo wrote:
Red Okktober wrote:

Because of fire really. I had a chat with my eldest who is applying to be a volunteer fireman and candles are a major risk, the insurance may not pay out if you've not thought about the possible situations and consequences first but that usually only happens with fatalities I suppose :dunno:

We didn't used to have tea lights or candles in bottles like Yankee Candles so I would say that they have changed a bit since the thin Prices ones that we had in the 70's. The fact is that there are better alternatives that don't have the potential to burn you and your neighbours to death.

Hang on a minute stoo.... surely you didn't really need to have a chat with your eldest son who is applying to be a volunteer fire fighter, to realise that there is an obvious risk with the candle and its naked flame? In all honesty I truly believe most people are already aware of those dangers, without that added advantage of a family member who is applying to be in the voluntary fire brigade but maybe that's just me
eekymacetc

Postby Red Okktober » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:28 pm

How on earth did Henry the Eighth make it into to his 50s without PIR activated lights, LEDs, and a USB micro?

I'll tell you how... by fucking candlelight.
Red Okktober

Postby Red Okktober » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:30 pm

You heard it first here folks - do NOT use candles during a power cut.
Red Okktober

Postby eeky » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:57 pm

Red Okktober wrote:You heard it first here folks - do NOT use candles during a power cut.

I'd suggest getting a big pile of wood (maybe a coffee table or some such) chopping it up and making a big fire in the middle of the room so that everyone can feel the heat. This could also be used as a light source as well as a cooking format. Maybe grab a cow or sheep or some sort of meat source and use that for food, to be cooked over said heat/light source. Just my opinion as your ninja air fry will be worth shit all in this situation imv
eeky

Postby Stooo » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:07 pm

eekymacetc wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Red Okktober wrote:

Hang on a minute stoo.... surely you didn't really need to have a chat with your eldest son who is applying to be a volunteer fire fighter, to realise that there is an obvious risk with the candle and its naked flame? In all honesty I truly believe most people are already aware of those dangers, without that added advantage of a family member who is applying to be in the voluntary fire brigade but maybe that's just me

Of course not but sometimes you have to draw a map for those who long for the old days. :smilin:
Stooo
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms