Doomsday Clock 2023

A right load of bollocks...

Doomsday Clock 2023

Postby Should we be concerned? » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:37 pm

"Doomsday Clock 2023 says the world is closer than ever to global catastrophe
The Doomsday Clock was moved forward on Tuesday to 90 seconds to midnight due in part to worries over Russian's veiled threats of nuclear warfare.

The world is closer to annihilation than it has ever been since the first nuclear bombs were released at the close of World War II, The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists said Tuesday. The time on the Doomsday Clock moved forward from 100 seconds to midnight to 90 seconds to midnight.

It’s a reset of what has come to be known as the Doomsday Clock, a decades long project of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists featuring a clock face where midnight represents Armageddon.

Between Russia's nuclear brinkmanship in its war on Ukraine, the real threats of climate change becoming increasingly dire and ongoing concerns about more possible pandemics caused by humans encroaching on formerly wild areas, the Bulletin chose to set the clock the closest to midnight yet.

The world is facing a gathering storm of extinction-level consequences, exacerbated by the illegal invasion of Ukraine by Russia. This explains the latest advance of the clock, said Mary Robinson, former president of Ireland and former United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights."

https://www.tennessean.com/in-depth/new ... 026446002/ :ooer:
Should we be concerned?

Re: Doomsday Clock 2023

Postby Middens » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:16 pm

I didn't think it was still a thing! I remember it from when I was a kid. It was permanently just minutes away from Armageddon.
Middens

Postby Dr Strangelove » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:22 pm

Middens wrote:I didn't think it was still a thing! I remember it from when I was a kid. It was permanently just minutes away from Armageddon.

It has always been here, just not this close to midnight since cuban missile crisis. :yikes:
Dr Strangelove

Postby Stooo » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:53 pm

I'd prefer something a little less analogue myself :NAA:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby common sense » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:46 pm

Load of rubbish.
common sense

Postby Private Fraser » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:04 pm

It's moved on a bit since 1980 :doomed:

phpBB [video]
Private Fraser

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:07 am

Private Fraser wrote:It's moved on a bit since 1980 :doomed:

phpBB [video]

How about Nena’s 99 red balloons?
Nuclear war is the topic of the song after all.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:06 am

common sense wrote:Load of rubbish.

Why?
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Holly » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am

I think this is starting to get really dangerous now.
America and Germany are pocking the bear.

A whole new level’ of war if NATO arms Ukraine, Russia warns

Extremely dangerous’ move to supply Kyiv with heavy weapons such as battle tanks could threaten ‘global and pan-European security’, says Moscow.

Russia is warning of an “extremely dangerous” escalation if NATO deploys heavy weapons such as battle tanks and long-range missile systems to Ukraine.

The cautionary statement from the Kremlin on Thursday came before a key donor meeting as Western countries consider sending more powerful military equipment to Ukraine with Russian forces intensifying attacks to secure territory.

The Kremlin pressed the West not to give Ukraine heavy weapons capable of striking Russian forces and territory.

“Potentially, this is extremely dangerous. It will mean bringing the conflict to a whole new level which, of course, will not bode well from the point of view of global and pan-European security,” Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov told reporters.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/1/1 ... ssia-warns

Does anyone here actually believe Putin will ever capitulate?
It's not going to happen, this is gonna turn to shit, especially Germany sending their best top of the ranch battle tank.

So yes, I think the clock is ticking very loudly.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:34 pm

Russia is maintaining its usual stance that the west is escalating this war by sending offensive weapons to Ukraine, which is typical of any invader when confronted by support for their victim.

All Ukraine wants is to be armed to the point it has the capability to regain all land invaded and expel the invaders.

Russia wants to portray this as a war against nato for its own ends, using nuclear threats it actually expects the west to stop arming Ukraine.

All in the Kremlin are deluded, it’s not going to stop the west sending arms.

The UN could play a bigger role by arguing against Russia’s idiotic statement, explaining in no uncertain terms that they are the invaders and how they need to withdraw and sit down for peace talks.

It needs to be done, Russian mothers are sending their sons to Ukraine not knowing they’re just going to get slaughtered in human wave attacks. It’s awful, they’ll lose so many lives for nothing.

Meanwhile Ukraine’s civilians are under threat of being bombed back to the Stone Age who try to justify attacks on civilians as necessary .

Postby Worst kept secrets » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:09 pm

Holly wrote:I think this is starting to get really dangerous now.
America and Germany are pocking the bear.

A whole new level’ of war if NATO arms Ukraine, Russia warns

Extremely dangerous’ move to supply Kyiv with heavy weapons such as battle tanks could threaten ‘global and pan-European security’, says Moscow.

Russia is warning of an “extremely dangerous” escalation if NATO deploys heavy weapons such as battle tanks and long-range missile systems to Ukraine.

The cautionary statement from the Kremlin on Thursday came before a key donor meeting as Western countries consider sending more powerful military equipment to Ukraine with Russian forces intensifying attacks to secure territory.

The Kremlin pressed the West not to give Ukraine heavy weapons capable of striking Russian forces and territory.

“Potentially, this is extremely dangerous. It will mean bringing the conflict to a whole new level which, of course, will not bode well from the point of view of global and pan-European security,” Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov told reporters.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/1/1 ... ssia-warns

Does anyone here actually believe Putin will ever capitulate?
It's not going to happen, this is gonna turn to shit, especially Germany sending their best top of the ranch battle tank.

So yes, I think the clock is ticking very loudly.

Russian's are laughing at western tanks being delivered.
Worst kept secrets

Postby Stooo » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:53 pm

Political grifters.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Holly » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:34 pm

Stooo wrote:

Political grifters.

What's wrong with it? If it's for peace, it has to be a good thing.
Why are they grifters?
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:40 am

Holly wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Political grifters.

What's wrong with it? If it's for peace, it has to be a good thing.
Why are they grifters?

It is such a shame that such a group of like-minded people can’t organise themselves in the same manner in mother Russia to rage against the special military operation.

The Russians will be pleased by this, they always maintained that the west wouldn’t have the stomach for a long drawn out war, this will really delight Putin.

Cyber warfare will now go into overdrive convincing more and more Americans to protest and stop supporting Ukraine.

Inevitable.

Postby Pte Pike » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:51 pm

This country’s leadership seems to be taking stock of just how weak we are militarily because of lessons learned from the Russo/Ukrainian war.
It would appear that the UK will embark on growth and modernisation of its armed forces, which is also going to happen in many western nations too.
This is all very reminiscent of military build ups prior to both world wars.
Worrying times are coming.
Pte Pike

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms