Grow your own?

A right load of bollocks...

Grow your own?

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:15 am

Anyone getting the fruit and veg in for this year?
As far as I can figure nothing has been planted here yet as we are going to wait till the end of March to allow for frosts to bugger off.
She might have started planting seed in the plastic tunnel not sure.
I can't dig or rake or bend so I'm mostly out of the picture apart from some ginger that's raised up along with onions and chillies and garlic and stuff.
Growing your own might just feed you a little more as all these modern world cockups seem to grow by the day.
Saying that a fair bit of fruit and veg in ALDI and LIDL today.
Beef toms from Spain two quid for six.
Blueberries from China I think were a quid forty for a small box... not far off normal.
Oranges apples lemons bananas leeks spuds cabbage all looking good.
Rolluplostinspace

Re: Grow your own?

Postby conkerking2 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:17 pm

Not me. The days of growing our own are long past and you have to wait months for them to grow. I was in Lidl and Asda the other day and they had more fruit and veg than anyone would need and plenty of salad stuff too but I can honestly say I've never been desperate to eat salad!
conkerking2

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:19 pm

conkerking2 wrote:Not me. The days of growing our own are long past and you have to wait months for them to grow. I was in Lidl and Asda the other day and they had more fruit and veg than anyone would need and plenty of salad stuff too but I can honestly say I've never been desperate to eat salad!

nO i DON'T RECALL EVER BEING DESPERATE FOR A SALAD :gigglesnshit: Oops Caps!
I'm old enough to remember seasons too.
Salad season was spring part way into summer.
These days you can have a salad on Xmas day and when you can't the world is in crisis!
I remember when no one had a fridge or freezer as well.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby conkerking2 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:29 pm

There was always a season for fruit and veg and it tasted far better for it. Tasteless strawberries in winter aren't for me and "new" spuds all year round just don't have the flavour. And don't get me going on all year round peaches and apricots as hard as cricket balls. I had a Saturday job in a greengrocers when I was 15, such a long time ago, and I can still remember the smell of the fruit first thing in the morning. Nowadays there's no smell and no taste either in some fruits. Ah, the good old days. :smilin:
conkerking2

Postby Stooo » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:52 pm

Flat in an HMO with no garden. The mould is coming on well and I'm considering growing some cress near to the windows :thumbsup:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Text » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:25 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
conkerking2 wrote:Not me. The days of growing our own are long past and you have to wait months for them to grow. I was in Lidl and Asda the other day and they had more fruit and veg than anyone would need and plenty of salad stuff too but I can honestly say I've never been desperate to eat salad!

These days you can have a salad on Xmas day and when you can't the world is in crisis!

I don't mind admitting that on some occasions during wintertime, I have hankered after the odd ham SALAD sandwich (or beef). Just to bring back lovely memories of carefree summer days. A rare treat, with no guilt attached. :snooty:
I like watercress, & rocket too. But if there's a shortage I certainly wouldn't make a fuss about it.
Text

Postby Text » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:31 pm

The blame for the surge in demand for out-of-season garden produce, rests largely on the shoulders of the posh, rich vegans of Southern England. :shake head:

They are the ones who demand exotic, unseasonal fruits, veg, & pulses be flown in from all 4 corners of the earth, all year round. They can afford whatever the price is. The carbon footprint must be large too.
Some caterers say posh vegan weddings can be a nightmare. Having to find fresh unseasonal food for hundreds of guests .....
Text

Postby Old fart » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:14 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:

Yes but we had a cold slab in the pantry.

It was also funny to have to light a fire in summer to heat the back boiler in the fireplace that heated water for the tank when we had no central heating.
Do you remember Esso Blue adverts for the paraffin heaters?
Great times, waking up for school with frost on the inside of the windows, that we could write our names in. :gigglesnshit:
Old fart

Postby Old git » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:19 pm

Text wrote:The blame for the surge in demand for out-of-season garden produce, rests largely on the shoulders of the posh, rich vegans of Southern England. :shake head:

They are the ones who demand exotic, unseasonal fruits, veg, & pulses be flown in from all 4 corners of the earth, all year round. They can afford whatever the price is. The carbon footprint must be large too.
Some caterers say posh vegan weddings can be a nightmare. Having to find fresh unseasonal food for hundreds of guests .....

We used to pickle stuff specially for the winter, our massive garden was full of veg, we spent hours after school being instructed in how do tend to it all. We stored so much veg too.
Old git

Postby Gabby » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:40 pm

I grow some herbs on kitchen windowsill…. love fresh herbs! :wubbers:
Gabby

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:19 pm

Gabby wrote:I grow some herbs on kitchen windowsill…. love fresh herbs! :wubbers:

I once grew fruit pips and stones in small pots on window sills.
Then transferred them to bigger pots outside, and ultimately planted them in the garden.
I got some lovely fruit harvests from them.

Postby Stooo » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:23 pm

Gabby wrote:I grow some herbs on kitchen windowsill…. love fresh herbs! :wubbers:

It's where I store my tomatoes (when I can get them). I'll grow basil on the sill but stuff like sage just absorbs the cooking odours.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby conkerking2 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:45 am

Loads of tomatoes in the shops up here. Tasteless tomatoes but nevertheless ...
conkerking2

Postby Snookerballs » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:29 pm

My Tortoise is just coming out of hibernation and wants his breakfast , Lettuce , Tomatoes , Cucumber , thanks to Brexit he is going to have to go without ,

We are certainly ending up a Third World Country when it is impossible to feed a Tortoise . :bawlin:
Snookerballs

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:23 pm

Snookerballs wrote:My Tortoise is just coming out of hibernation and wants his breakfast , Lettuce , Tomatoes , Cucumber , thanks to Brexit he is going to have to go without ,

We are certainly ending up a Third World Country when it is impossible to feed a Tortoise . :bawlin:

Nice, I mean that your tortoise is coming out of hibernation, but the fact that you can't feed him is not good.
:bawlin:
Why not take him on a trip to the sunny uplands?
:smilin:
The Brexit Farmers Market :pmsl:
There must be plenty of provisions for anyone and everything there.

If you find Diddly Squat.
You will be at the wrong place.
:gigglesnshit:
We Took Back Control after all.

Things can only get better, surely?
:awesome:

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms