What Are You Drinking Right Now? Part 2.

A right load of bollocks...

Re: What Are You Drinking Right Now? Part 2.

Postby HobbitFeet » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:31 pm

Text wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:we went to the place they make Blandy's Madeira earlier this year

I do like a drop of Madeira but the trip wasn't really a necessary bit of the tour, all the Americans were ooohing and ahhhhing, we were just thinking
'you can buy this in Tesco'

During the lockdown pub regulars turned to the supermarkets (mostly Tesco) for their supply of drinks. Post lockdown they did not return to the pub, they carried on buying cheaper drinks from supermarkets.
A sea change in the national culture, which hit the pub trade hard, it will never recover, sadly.

Meanwhile Wetherspoons, which has already closed dozens of its outlets, is set to close a dozen more soon, including its huge flagship inn, in London's Forest Hill.

Oh dear, nem'mind. :eyebrow:

Not sure what any of this has to do with my visit to Madeira
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Text » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:49 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:
Text wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:we went to the place they make Blandy's Madeira earlier this year

I do like a drop of Madeira but the trip wasn't really a necessary bit of the tour, all the Americans were ooohing and ahhhhing, we were just thinking
'you can buy this in Tesco'

During the lockdown pub regulars turned to the supermarkets (mostly Tesco) for their supply of drinks. Post lockdown they did not return to the pub, they carried on buying cheaper drinks from supermarkets.
A sea change in the national culture, which hit the pub trade hard, it will never recover, sadly.

Meanwhile Wetherspoons, which has already closed dozens of its outlets, is set to close a dozen more soon, including its huge flagship inn, in London's Forest Hill.

Not sure what any of this has to do with my visit to Madeira

It's nothing to do with your trip to Madeira, it's to do with what you said about drinks being bought from Tesco.
I also added fresh news out yesterday about Wetherspoons.
Text

Postby HobbitFeet » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:58 pm

The point was that it is just an ordinary drink to us but it isn’t as readily available for the Americans

That was why I said you can buy it in Tesco (or any other retailer) here, not as an alternative to the pub

Although I don’t know anyone who would go into a pub and ask for a measure of Madeira
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Text » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:17 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:The point was that it is just an ordinary drink to us but it isn’t as readily available for the Americans

That was why I said you can buy it in Tesco (or any other retailer) here, not as an alternative to the pub

Although I don’t know anyone who would go into a pub and ask for a measure of Madeira

The words "You can buy this in Tesco" caught my eye hence why I isolated that part from the rest of your post ...... cos they are the EXACT words that people think when they see expensive pub prices now. Hence why the pub trade collapsed.

It's a drinks thread so I was focusing solely on the drinks part, so I misunderstood the rest of your post. My fault!
Text

Postby Stooo » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:32 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:The point was that it is just an ordinary drink to us but it isn’t as readily available for the Americans

Mate, I've ordered gorilla snot and got the lime cordial/Baileys nightmare every time.

Fucking Madeira indeed... :roll:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Text » Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:11 pm

Stooo wrote:
Mate, I've ordered gorilla snot and got the lime cordial/Baileys nightmare every time.

Fucking Madeira indeed... :roll:

Woah!! :yikes:
Padam, Padam ...... :cheers:
Text

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:42 pm

Bottle of Australian Shiraz... Jam Shed. Rich Jammy and smooth.
Bit unsure of it at the moment.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby common sense » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:50 pm

Sainsbury's diet ginger beer. Have a 2 litre bottle. Bit fiery...
common sense

Postby common sense » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:57 pm

Text wrote:

Our Wetherspoons here in East Ham is closing down. Already sold.
common sense

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:44 pm

Tonight it's cheap whisky... Famous Grouse.
I like sipping whisky and this really isn't one it's more a mixer but sip it I will despite it being rather bland.
People usually family buy me these things with all good intentions and I usually drink them. Grouse aint to bad for a cheapy.
I intend to drink myself to sleep tonight and get up as late as possible as Sunday is going to be a busy miles an hour kind of day and tomorrow (Saturday) another day of flooded roads etc which I can do without.
So I'm chilling listening to the Rolling Stones new album released today... I have in fact just finished listening but will give it a second shot soon as.
So far I like two tracks out of the whole offering.
Amazing they can still get it up in this fashion but does it do it for me... two tracks do.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:01 pm

Surprise appearance a few hours ago in New York the 80 year olds showed up to promote toays release of their new album.
This could be 1963!
Are these 80 year old pensioners really aliens?
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:11 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Surprise appearance a few hours ago in New York the 80 year olds showed up to promote toays release of their new album.
This could be 1963!
Are these 80 year old pensioners really aliens?

Sixty years ago they were so different!
Really?

Rolluplostinspace

Postby common sense » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:57 am

Mug of Nescafe.
common sense

Postby Junglejayne » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:06 am

Ginger, lemon and honey.
Junglejayne

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:06 pm

Harpers Ruby Red Ale. 5.2%
It's almost a brown ale but much nicer than that with according to the label toffee and dried fruit flavours.
Well I get the toffe and the dried fruit I taste is dates.
Very nice.
They do if I remember rightly a 4% or thereabouts and it's wishy washy tasting.
I think this used to be Goblin but I suspect they've been bought out by Harpers.
Rolluplostinspace

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms