DS Thread #119

Big Threads

Re: DS Thread #119

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:42 am

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:It's not just DS people are being vile to a deranged degree...I just saw someone on Twitter, in a thread full of scared people, delightedly trumpet that "the country got what it voted for"...

What has happened to us? :(


Sadly it only takes something like this to unveil the true nature of our society, "be kind" has been thrown out of the window...


Be kind indeed. Already completely forgotten as people rush around desperate to scare each other.

It's a shame the sort of national spirit adopted during WWII will never happen again because that's exactly what we need right now, but people have been too self obsessed for too long.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: DS Thread #119

Postby TWAT » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:51 am

Guest wrote:
TWAT wrote:
Guest wrote:So... You've been a dick with no argument plenty of times, then.


Yes, plenty of times over the years. Your point ?

Guest wrote:Not sure why you'd admit to that, are you under some delusion it makes you look better?


Nope.


Cool.Just for everyone's benefit, then, some select quotes:

"So they are going for full isolation and saying that even going out once for supplies is not allowed. I assume that the police will subsequently be given powers of arrest over the elderly to ensure they are either jailed or taken back home"

"Will have to remain at home". As in "Not be allowed to leave their house, even to get groceries"

If it's advice, it would be "Over-70s - and younger people with certain health conditions - will be advised to to remain at home and have groceries and vital medication delivered". Saying "Over 70's will need to.." is stating a requirement, not offering advice.

Under Emergency Powers, I imagine there's a lot that the government can do with regards to enforcement



Compare and contrast with reality.
Still, at least admitting you're a sack of crap spouting conspiratorial nonsense is the first step towards being...maybe marginally less of a perpetual tosser. We can hope.


So you went to all that effort of searching through my posts to cherry pick (and alter) certain quotes, and then coming here, posting all of that, doing the captcha for .. what exactly ?

You've chosen to ignore the multitude of other posts I made on that day where I said I hope the story as reported isn't true as well.

So you still need to explain to the class the point you're trying to prove. I wouldn't want all that effort to be wasted ..
User avatar
TWAT
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: DS Thread #119

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:56 am

TWAT wrote:
Guest wrote:
TWAT wrote:
Guest wrote:So... You've been a dick with no argument plenty of times, then.


Yes, plenty of times over the years. Your point ?

Guest wrote:Not sure why you'd admit to that, are you under some delusion it makes you look better?


Nope.


Cool.Just for everyone's benefit, then, some select quotes:

"So they are going for full isolation and saying that even going out once for supplies is not allowed. I assume that the police will subsequently be given powers of arrest over the elderly to ensure they are either jailed or taken back home"

"Will have to remain at home". As in "Not be allowed to leave their house, even to get groceries"

If it's advice, it would be "Over-70s - and younger people with certain health conditions - will be advised to to remain at home and have groceries and vital medication delivered". Saying "Over 70's will need to.." is stating a requirement, not offering advice.

Under Emergency Powers, I imagine there's a lot that the government can do with regards to enforcement



Compare and contrast with reality.
Still, at least admitting you're a sack of crap spouting conspiratorial nonsense is the first step towards being...maybe marginally less of a perpetual tosser. We can hope.


So you went to all that effort of searching through my posts to cherry pick (and alter) certain quotes, and then coming here, posting all of that, doing the captcha for .. what exactly ?

You've chosen to ignore the multitude of other posts I made on that day where I said I hope the story as reported isn't true as well.

So you still need to explain to the class the point you're trying to prove. I wouldn't want all that effort to be wasted ..


The point I think the poster is making is that some posters. Including you. Are going way over the top.

For example just a few weeks ago Boris Johnson said he wanted to reform the civil service. A mild statement and one aim pretty much shared by most governments in my lifetime. Of course on DS this was a prelude to a fascist takeover and the suspension of democracy.

And now those very same people are screaming for full controls on movement and assembly. China style.

Older people are statistically more likely to vote Tory or Brexit. In the broadest possible sense. There are many examples of older people who did no such thing, as there are many examples of younger people who did. Of course DS immediately declares that old people are evil, and the plan to rejoin the EU is to wait till they die.

Now those exact same posters are screaming that all old people aren’t the same and that the governments advice is too draconian. The key word there being advice.

You’re a shut in anyhow Twat. Any lockdown would be business as usual for you. I would be devastated if I couldn’t complete my work projects for my clients. I should be on the terraces of the Stadium of Light on Saturday laughing, groaning, cheering and moaning in equal measure. I should be in the pub afterwards for the celebration, post mortem, or “meh, maybe next week”. I should be taking my kids for o the trampoline park, or bowling. I should be looking forward to going to see Black Widow in May. Instead I might have to state at four walls all day.

My god I could end up like YOU Twat.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: DS Thread #119

Postby common sense » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:20 am

Guest wrote:
Chancer81 wrote:What's the story with Occy? Is he the full shilling because he pops up in threads and makes posts that struggle to make any sense.


Occy is a troll who pretends to be thick. His shtick is to be first to post a thread on a hot topic. He'll make sure there's a couple of typos or absurd grammatical errors in the title so that everyone who posts on the topic has to put up with it, knowing that pulling people up about spelling etc is against the rules. In other threads he'll float around writing posts with misleading takes on the topic or with accidentally-on-purpose errors that tempt other posters to reply along the lines of "Huh??" Just overall boring tosser.



Occy certainly posts some daft threads. When the Labour gathering to name the new leader was cancelled his title was "Corbyn stays as Leader" Not true at all. New leader will be announced, just more low-key.

Still not back on DS. They don't want me. :shoot:
User avatar
common sense
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: DS Thread #119

Postby TWAT » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:01 am

Guest wrote:The point I think the poster is making is that some posters. Including you. Are going way over the top.


The problem I have with guests like the other one is that things are usually taken way out of context to try and get one over someone - not just me. And this is also largely the problem with forums in general, despite what so many claim, you can't extract an emotional state of mind out of ascii characters on a screen.

When you take something like this "So they are going for full isolation and saying that even going out once for supplies is not allowed. I assume that the police will subsequently be given powers of arrest over the elderly to ensure they are either jailed or taken back home"" and remove the question mark, as the guest did, then of course the context of it changes completely and it does sound over the top.

So cherry picking (and altering) posts just to try and get one over someone really achieves nothing, other than the fact that someone has far too much time on their hands.

Guest wrote:You’re a shut in anyhow Twat..


I know. Did I forget to tell you I had an identical twin who goes out every day ?
User avatar
TWAT
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: DS Thread #119

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:32 am

TWAT wrote:
Guest wrote:The point I think the poster is making is that some posters. Including you. Are going way over the top.


The problem I have with guests like the other one is that things are usually taken way out of context to try and get one over someone - not just me. And this is also largely the problem with forums in general, despite what so many claim, you can't extract an emotional state of mind out of ascii characters on a screen.

When you take something like this "So they are going for full isolation and saying that even going out once for supplies is not allowed. I assume that the police will subsequently be given powers of arrest over the elderly to ensure they are either jailed or taken back home"" and remove the question mark, as the guest did, then of course the context of it changes completely and it does sound over the top.

So cherry picking (and altering) posts just to try and get one over someone really achieves nothing, other than the fact that someone has far too much time on their hands.

Guest wrote:You’re a shut in anyhow Twat..


I know. Did I forget to tell you I had an identical twin who goes out every day ?


Twat, there are not going to be gangs of police roaming the streets forcibly dragging pensioners back to their homes. And anyone who thinks that there will be is living in a space of worrying paranoia. This is not a totalitarian state. The government have given advice. Hopefully most people with sense will try to follow it as closely as possible. Some won't but hey-ho.

I must say Twat that your twin brother sounds much more socially adept than you.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: DS Thread #119

Postby TWAT » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:05 pm

Guest wrote:I must say Twat that your twin brother sounds much more socially adept than you.


He really is, his girlfriend is a cracker :mrgreen:

I know there's going to no actual enforcement of this for the vast majority of people, and even with those who are seen out with clear and obvious symptoms will probably only be "encouraged" to go home, I've even acknowledged that on DS as well, as the other guest has also conveniently ignored.

But when you see language like "The elderly will need to stay at home for four months" as well as frequent warnings of isolating measures escalating by the end of the week, i think it's only natural to question it. At the moment, it's just advice. In the future - who knows ?. I hope it remains at advice for as long as possible but if things get too out of control then nobody really knows what is going to happen.
User avatar
TWAT
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: DS Thread #119

Postby sockseverywhere » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:46 pm

Surprised to see the mods pouce on and close the Have we finally seen the end of Corbyn? thread.

It was based on a genuine and topical discussion point that due to his age he in the highest risk/self-isolate group.
But apparently-

Support Posts: 47,412
Administrator
17/03/20 - 10:21 #30
This thread doesn't appear to be productive so we're closing this.


It picked up some trash talk but nothing compared to what you see in every other thread that goes gammon gammon gammon idiot idiot idiot nasty tories nasty tories for endless pages.
Can any DS defenders think of a reason to give the mods the benefit of the doubt? I cannot which is why I am sharing this as bona fide example of political bias in their moderation.We all suspect it but its rare to see such a blatant example.
User avatar
sockseverywhere
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:21 pm

Re: DS Thread #119

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:01 pm

sockseverywhere wrote:Surprised to see the mods pouce on and close the Have we finally seen the end of Corbyn? thread.

It was based on a genuine and topical discussion point that due to his age he in the highest risk/self-isolate group.
But apparently-

Support Posts: 47,412
Administrator
17/03/20 - 10:21 #30
This thread doesn't appear to be productive so we're closing this.


It picked up some trash talk but nothing compared to what you see in every other thread that goes gammon gammon gammon idiot idiot idiot nasty tories nasty tories for endless pages.
Can any DS defenders think of a reason to give the mods the benefit of the doubt? I cannot which is why I am sharing this as bona fide example of political bias in their moderation.We all suspect it but its rare to see such a blatant example.


Is there any doubt about the political bias of DS mods? Anyone claiming otherwise is likely only doing so because they share their political persuasion. Once upon a time I remember it being for the most part unbiased moderation on there, but those days are long gone.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: DS Thread #119

Postby sockseverywhere » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:06 pm

Guest wrote:Don't get nostalgic for previous decades anytime before the 2000s around Whedonite as she will pounce on you to remind you how awful all the bigotry was. Which, yes that is true but people should be allowed to reminisce about things they enjoyed in the years gone by without being made to feel ashamed for it so long as they aren't singing the praises of how great blackface was or something.


Nothing to see here that's business as usual.
Whedon is a thinly veiled man hating lesbian feminist so don't expect any kind of balanced or objective discourse there.
She follows incel groups on twitter just so she can find the most extreme examples to self reinforce her belief that all men are sexist bastards.
She'll take any topic she can insert herself into and debase it down to sexism issue.Its what she does.
User avatar
sockseverywhere
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:21 pm

Re: DS Thread #119

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:08 pm

The worst thing about the mods is the tone they adopt when talking to forum users. They couldn't be any more sneery and condescending if they tried. I can't bear to read anything by Support nowadays.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: DS Thread #119

Postby Dean » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:22 pm

Guest wrote:The worst thing about the mods is the tone they adopt when talking to forum users. They couldn't be any more sneery and condescending if they tried. I can't bear to read anything by Support nowadays.


It’s a power trip for some of them...
User avatar
Dean
 
Posts: 45975
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:02 pm

Re: DS Thread #119

Postby DracoTheFakeO » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:26 pm

sockseverywhere wrote:
Guest wrote:Don't get nostalgic for previous decades anytime before the 2000s around Whedonite as she will pounce on you to remind you how awful all the bigotry was. Which, yes that is true but people should be allowed to reminisce about things they enjoyed in the years gone by without being made to feel ashamed for it so long as they aren't singing the praises of how great blackface was or something.


Nothing to see here that's business as usual.
Whedon is a thinly veiled man hating lesbian feminist so don't expect any kind of balanced or objective discourse there.
She follows incel groups on twitter just so she can find the most extreme examples to self reinforce her belief that all men are sexist bastards.
She'll take any topic she can insert herself into and debase it down to sexism issue.Its what she does.


I used to think whedon was alright but she has become insufferable with her posts lately. Then again, I used to think scorcha was alright and we all know how that one turned out :oops:
User avatar
DracoTheFakeO
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:30 pm

Re: DS Thread #119

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:52 pm

TWAT wrote:
Guest wrote:The point I think the poster is making is that some posters. Including you. Are going way over the top.


The problem I have with guests like the other one is that things are usually taken way out of context to try and get one over someone - not just me. And this is also largely the problem with forums in general, despite what so many claim, you can't extract an emotional state of mind out of ascii characters on a screen.

When you take something like this "So they are going for full isolation and saying that even going out once for supplies is not allowed. I assume that the police will subsequently be given powers of arrest over the elderly to ensure they are either jailed or taken back home"" and remove the question mark, as the guest did, then of course the context of it changes completely and it does sound over the top.

So cherry picking (and altering) posts just to try and get one over someone really achieves nothing, other than the fact that someone has far too much time on their hands.

Guest wrote:You’re a shut in anyhow Twat..


I know. Did I forget to tell you I had an identical twin who goes out every day ?


Seems pretty representative of the exchange you had with Richard to me. Of course rather than just blindly protesting you could provide the context and show the poster up. I mean, you wouldn't want anyone to think you're lying...
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: DS Thread #119

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:28 pm

The worst thing about the mods is the tone they adopt when talking to forum users. They couldn't be any more sneery and condescending if they tried. I can't bear to read anything by Support nowadays.
User avatar
Guest
 

Previous

Return to The Archive

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests