Big Threads

Re: Random Stuff Part Nine.

Postby Snuffleupagus » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:45 am

Seymour wrote:Image

Lovely pic :wubbers:
Snuffleupagus

Postby Trapper John » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:53 am

I'm sure everyone knows that it was Coca Cola who invented the classic Father Christmas/ Santa Claus garbed in red and white.

The image was first used in a CC advertising campaign back in the early 20th century, they decked him out in the famous red & white colours of Coke and the image has become an icon ever since.

The original spirit of Christmas, which is what 'Santa' represents, goes way back to early European folklore, he was often depicted as an old, jovial man with flowing white beard and hair, most often dressed in blue or green.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Vicky » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:58 am

Trapper John wrote:I'm sure everyone knows that it was Coca Cola who invented the classic Father Christmas/ Santa Claus garbed in red and white.

The image was first used in a CC advertising campaign back in the early 20th century, they decked him out in the famous red & white colours of Coke and the image has become an icon ever since.

The original spirit of Christmas, which is what 'Santa' represents, goes way back to early European folklore, he was often depicted as an old, jovial man with flowing white beard and hair, most often dressed in blue or green.

I don't think so. :ooer:
Vicky

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:04 pm

Victoria wrote:
Trapper John wrote:I'm sure everyone knows that it was Coca Cola who invented the classic Father Christmas/ Santa Claus garbed in red and white.

You're right. :thumbsup:
http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christma ... cacola.asp

Postby Dimples » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:12 pm

Victoria wrote:

According to Wikipedia

The first appearance of a modern Santa Claus, complete with what we consider to be the Santa suit was in drawings by Thomas Nast. Nast's original drawings were of a small Santa who could slide down chimneys, but his later works made him full size. He was also the first to draw Santa wearing a red suit with fur lining, a nightcap, and a black belt with a large buckle.

Prior to Nast's work, Santa's outfit was tan in color, and it was he that changed it to red,although he also drew Santa in a green suit. This change is often mistakenly attributed to the work of Haddon Sundblom, who drew images of Santa in advertising for the Coca-Cola Company since 1931. Although Sundblom's work certainly changed the perception of Santa Claus, the red suit was shown on the covers of Harper's Weekly at least forty years before his work for the soda company was published. The Coca-Cola Company itself has attributed the red color of the suit to Nast's earlier work. Prior to the Coca-Cola advertising, the image of Santa was in a state of flux. He was portrayed in a variety of forms, including both the modern forms and in some cases as a gnome. It was Sundblom's work which standardised the form of Santa to the earlier Nast work, including the red suit outfit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_suit
Dimples

Postby Vicky » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:22 pm

Dimples wrote:
Victoria wrote:

According to Wikipedia

The first appearance of a modern Santa Claus, complete with what we consider to be the Santa suit was in drawings by Thomas Nast. Nast's original drawings were of a small Santa who could slide down chimneys, but his later works made him full size. He was also the first to draw Santa wearing a red suit with fur lining, a nightcap, and a black belt with a large buckle.

Prior to Nast's work, Santa's outfit was tan in color, and it was he that changed it to red,although he also drew Santa in a green suit. This change is often mistakenly attributed to the work of Haddon Sundblom, who drew images of Santa in advertising for the Coca-Cola Company since 1931. Although Sundblom's work certainly changed the perception of Santa Claus, the red suit was shown on the covers of Harper's Weekly at least forty years before his work for the soda company was published. The Coca-Cola Company itself has attributed the red color of the suit to Nast's earlier work. Prior to the Coca-Cola advertising, the image of Santa was in a state of flux. He was portrayed in a variety of forms, including both the modern forms and in some cases as a gnome. It was Sundblom's work which standardised the form of Santa to the earlier Nast work, including the red suit outfit.

I prefer the red Santa, for some reason i have an aversion to anything that's green. :whistle:
Vicky

Postby Snuffleupagus » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:23 pm

Yay, there's a Derek Christmas special, the bad thing is that it's the final episode of it. :bawlin:

Snuffleupagus

Postby Dimples » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:29 pm

Victoria wrote:
Dimples wrote:
Victoria wrote:

According to Wikipedia

I prefer the red Santa, for some reason i have an aversion to anything that's green. :whistle:

You don't say... really? :gigglesnshit:
Dimples

Postby Vicky » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:34 pm

Dimples wrote:
Victoria wrote:
Dimples wrote:
Victoria wrote:

According to Wikipedia

You don't say... really? :gigglesnshit:

I can't explain why i have it Dimps, it's a mystery. :Swink:
Vicky

Postby Snuffleupagus » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:50 pm

Shopping then hoovering etc this morning, physio this afternoon and then more shopping before I have to get back. To think I'd usually be going to work as well, the days just fly by. :Slol:
Snuffleupagus

Postby Trapper John » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:54 pm

Dimples wrote:
Victoria wrote:

According to Wikipedia

Ok, so I should have said 'popularised' by Coca Cola. :roll:

Like I said, the representation of a father Christmas figure goes way back, likely to pre-Christian times, of an earth spirit which would give help through the tough winter months to those who worshipped it.

It has taken on many guises since, from Wenceslas - to the Green Man/ Knight - Jack o' the woods and even Jesus Christ.

Nast would have used European folklore as a basis for his rendition of Father Christmas.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Dimples » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Snuffleupagus wrote:Shopping then hoovering etc this morning, physio this afternoon and then more shopping before I have to get back. To think I'd usually be going to work as well, the days just fly by. :Slol:

You already mentioned that you've been shopping already... and that you are going out shopping again later.

Why do you keep mentioning it... or is it that you always like to make sure you post something - no matter how inane it may be - right after certain people have posted?

It was just on the previous page to this - and posted only about an hour and a half ago. Do you think we need an hour-by-hour account of everything you do?
Dimples

Postby Dimples » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:58 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Dimples wrote:
Victoria wrote:

According to Wikipedia

Like I said, the representation of a father Christmas figure goes way back, likely to pre-Christian times, of an earth spirit which would give help through the tough winter months to those who worshipped it.

It has taken on many guises since, from Wenceslas - to the Green Man/ Knight - Jack o' the woods and even Jesus Christ.

Nast would have used European folklore as a basis for his rendition of Father Christmas.

No need to roll your eyes - it's now a commonly-held belief due to this interpretation being reinforced year after year. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's how urban myths come about... but it wasn't intended to take the wind out of your sails. :gigglesnshit:
Dimples

Postby Snuffleupagus » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:06 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Dimples wrote:
Victoria wrote:

According to Wikipedia

I saw Father Christmas last night, in his sleigh - second time this year too, he can't 'alf get about. Rumour has it he'll be up the pub later too. :Slol:
Snuffleupagus

Previous

Return to The Archive