Sunny and Trapper John's Football Thread Part Sixteen.

Big Threads

Sunny and Trapper John's Football Thread Part Sixteen.

Postby Vicky » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:45 am

Guest wrote:Too little, too late for the Woolwich Arsenal this season. A case of after the lord mayor's show as it usually is for them.

Why has the "Woolwich" been dropped from their name?

I know they were up shit-creek at one time, because they came begging to Rangers and if the Gers hadn't been so kind and generous, Arsenal might not exist today.
Vicky

Re: Sunny and Trapper John's Football Thread Part Fifteen.

Postby Vicky » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:03 am

Result from last nights Champions League first-leg Quarter-Final.

Paris St-Germain 1 Barcelona 3

I said yesterday, Barcelona would win the game easy and they did.

You can't compete with class like that. Luis Suarez, Neymar and Leo Messi could beat teams on their own.

Luis scored two last night and Neymar scored the other one.

So it looks as though Barcelona will be playing in their seventh Semi-Final in eight seasons.

I don't see any team left in the competition being good enough to stop Luis Lads from winning the trophy. Image
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:11 am

Some facts about last nights game...

Luis Suarez has scored 13 goals in his last 15 games.

That was the first time PSG have lost a European tie at home this season.

Lionel Messi has completed 64 dribbles this season. The highest tally for a Champions League player since 2010/1, when Messi completed 79.

Lionel Messi has assisted in all 12 of Neymar's goals this season.

Lionel Messi is without doubt the best player in the world.

He could score goals in any league and only a halfwit or troll would claim otherwise.
Vicky

Postby Trapper John » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:50 am

No-one has suggested that Lionel Messi couldn't score goals in any league - just that he wouldn't score anywhere near as many or as easy as he does in the Premier League.

He would be a great player, but I doubt he could keep up with the Premier League for more than season - he wouldn't get the rest and time he enjoys in La Liga.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Vicky » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:59 am

I can i just say this?

Fuck the EPL!!!

It isn't the Holy Grail, that you seem to think it is.

It bores the arse of some of us and it's nowhere near as good as La Liga.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:04 am

Rangers have three league games left to play and hopefully three games in the play-offs.

They're going to be the most important games in our history and from this moment on under no circumstances, will i mention that sodding league south of the border again. :whogives:
Vicky

Postby Trapper John » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:10 am

Guest wrote:Too little, too late for the Woolwich Arsenal this season. A case of after the lord mayor's show as it usually is for them.

It's not a case of too little too late, Arsenal always finish the season strongly and it usually pays dividends - this season however, we have managed to get most of our injured players back in contention, long before the league ends it's made a huge difference.

Unlike clubs like Liverpool and Man Utd, we don't use the excuse of losing players or 'a club in transition' - we just play as best we can on any given day and it's been sufficient.

The fact remains as I and many of the sports press have pointed out, if Chelsea hadn't been gifted the three points in each of their last three games by their opponents goalkeepers, Arsenal would be 1 point behind them today.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:13 am

Victoria wrote:Rangers have three league games left to play and hopefully three games in the play-offs.

They're going to be the most important games in our history and from this moment on under no circumstances, will i mention that sodding league south of the border again. :whogives:

I hope Rangers get promotion, I really do - but I just can't get excited by Scottish football - it would be like following a Championship or League One team down here.

I do have the occasional look at other leagues and teams - but I'm an Arsenal supporter and no other club matters to me.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:19 am

I imagine that with the news that Jurgen Klopp will leave Dortmund in the summer, there will be an exodus of players looking to move too - just a word of warning, German players aren't all they're cracked up to be - not many have shone in the Premier League.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:25 am

Victoria wrote:Result from last nights Champions League first-leg Quarter-Final.

You can't compete with class like that. Luis Suarez, Neymar and Leo Messi could beat teams on their own.

So it looks as though Barcelona will be playing in their seventh Semi-Final in eight seasons.

I don't see any team left in the competition being good enough to stop Luis Lads from winning the trophy. Image

You missed out the other important Champions League game last night - Porto beating Bayern Munich 3-1.

I'm not surprised by that result at all, I've never been one to sing the praises of Munich like the Europhiles and sports press do, I've seen them play on many occasions in the last few years and not been that impressed - a good team yes, a great one - not really.

Like in other European Leagues, domestic superiority is no guide to how good a team is.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Vicky » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:32 am

Trapper John wrote:
Victoria wrote:Result from last nights Champions League first-leg Quarter-Final.

You missed out the other important Champions League game last night - Porto beating Bayern Munich 3-1.

I'm not surprised by that result at all, I've never been one to sing the praises of Munich like the Europhiles and sports press do, I've seen them play on many occasions in the last few years and not been that impressed - a good team yes, a great one - not really.

Like in other European Leagues, domestic superiority is no guide to how good a team is.

I just hadn't got round to the Porto game. I've been rather busy mentioning the results of some other games that took place last night.

Rangers, Celtic and Barcelona.

It was a good result for Porto last night and i wouldn't mind them getting to the final. After all they saved us a lifetime of gloating, when they beat Celtic in the UEFA Cup final in 2003.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:46 am

Trapper John wrote:
Victoria wrote:Rangers have three league games left to play and hopefully three games in the play-offs.

I hope Rangers get promotion, I really do - but I just can't get excited by Scottish football - it would be like following a Championship or League One team down here.

I do have the occasional look at other leagues and teams - but I'm an Arsenal supporter and no other club matters to me.

Funnily enough i can't get excited by the EPL.

I've never supported a team from down south, i've supported Rangers since i was about 13.

I suppose i do have a certain affection for Albion Rovers, because their my home-team. However when Rangers played them in the cup last year, i was hoping Rangers took ten off them.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:52 am

Actually talking of Albion Rovers, they look a certainty to win their first title in twenty-six years this season.

My dad who's a Rovers supporter, is most excited as this will only be the second time in his lifetime that his team have won a league title.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:10 am

Oh and thanks for saying you hope Rangers get promoted.

I take back what i said about Arsenal yesterday, i don't really hope Reading beat you on Saturday.Image
Vicky

Postby pep » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:44 am

Victoria wrote:I can i just say this?

Fuck the EPL!!!

It isn't the Holy Grail, that you seem to think it is.

It bores the arse of some of us and it's nowhere near as good as La Liga.

:pmsl: a two team league being labelled less boring than the premier league made me laugh..rat boy was the bollocks last night though..he looks to have beefed up since he left the dippers..
pep

Next

Return to The Archive