Sunny & TJ's Football Thread (Part 18)

Big Threads

Sunny & TJ's Football Thread (Part 18)

Postby Vicky » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:33 am

Champions League Qualifiers tonight.

We're at the second round qualifying stage.

There's five games on tonight and the much loved Celtic are in action against Stjarnan of Iceland.

I don't see the Bhoys having any trouble beating Stjarnan.

However, we can hope for an upset. Image
Vicky

Re: Sunny & TJ's Football Thread (Part 17)

Postby Trapper John » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:14 pm

Arsenal will play Everton in the Final of the Barclay's Asia Cup on Saturday as they bring to an end their whistle stop, pre season tour of the far East, in Singapore.

Everton won a penalty shoot out with Stoke City after their game ended at full time 0-0 in the sweltering heat and humidity of Singapore's national stadium.

Later that evening, Arsenal fielded a team made up of some youngsters and first team players against a Singapore Select XI and beat them 4-0.

The oppressive heat made the Gunners look a little lethargic at times but it didn't stop England Under 21 striker Chuba Akpom from firing home a hat-trick and Jack Wilshire finishing the game with a fourth from the penalty spot.

The final will take place in the national stadium on Saturday and Arsenal's Singapore fans will be hoping to see some other big names take to the field, at least for part of the game.

After the final, Arsenal will jet back to the UK in preparation for their other pre-season tournament - the Emirates Cup - where they will face Lyon and Wolfsburg, before the traditional opener to the new season the following weekend, the community shield game with Chelsea at Wembley.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Trapper John » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:05 pm

Trapper John wrote:I said back when rumours first began circulating about Petr Cech moving to Arsenal, that if we got him I wouldn't be disappointed if we didn't sign anyone else this window.

Well it looks like I got my wish - It seems very doubtful now whether Arsene Wenger will buy anyone else this summer.

I can understand his viewpoint, there are very few top players out there in the positions we have not already got ample cover with top quality players. Those few that are out there, in positions I feel we could do with another pair of legs are grossly overpriced owing to the fact that most of Europe think Premier League clubs are dripping with gold and will pay over the odds.

It hasn't helped that both Manchester clubs are feeding that perception because of their own desperation and fear, so it's made things very difficult.

Fortunately, in our lean years, the professor has been busily building up a formidable squad out of young home grown talent and added to it season after season with a few top class, strategic buys. So now we have a squad of players who have all 'come of age' at the same time, a settled squad who know each other inside out and have at last 'reached their time' together.

So I'm not surprised that Wenger isn't panicking like the rest of the top clubs, what is the point of paying £millions over the odds for players who are no better than the ones we already have? - If a player comes along who can enhance our squad and who hasn't had his price hiked to ridiculous levels, Wenger won't hesitate to go for him - truth is there just isn't that many players out there who fit that criteria.

Most Arsenal supporters appear to agree with me, there are very few calling for more signings - yes we feel we could probably do with another defensive midfielder and maybe another out and out striker - but we have to leave it to the boss, no-one knows his players and their state of mind better than the man himself - so 'In Wenger we trust'

It's funny, I've just been reading an article by Daily Telegraph football correspondent Jeremy Wilson and he has said almost exactly what I have said in the post above and in an earlier post where I listed the players we already have in our squad.

He said Arsenal have the squad to win the league title - Wenger is sometimes moaned at because he appears stubborn - but on many occasions he has been proven right with his non tinkering view of the old adage, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

This was never better displayed when back in 2003/2004 season - just like now - he chose only to add a senior goal keeper to the squad, at that time it was Jens Lehman.

This caused great concern and even uproar amongst Arsenal fans who were watching Manchester United and particularly Chelsea spend hundreds of £millions on new players for their squads.

His decision was validated by winning the league that season with the squad that became known as the 'invincibles'.

I hope history can repeat itself - we have the players, all they need is the belief that they are as good as any other players out there and to stay injury free.
Last edited by Trapper John on Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Vicky » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:09 pm

Victoria wrote:Champions League Qualifiers tonight.

We're at the second round qualifying stage.

There's five games on tonight and the much loved Celtic are in action against Stjarnan of Iceland.

I don't see the Bhoys having any trouble beating Stjarnan.

However..we can but hope for an upset. Image

Well it's underway and it's still 0-0

But like I said earlier..Stjarnan are ranked 771th in the world. :roll:
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:52 am

Celtic won 2-0 last night, it was so one-sided it was embarrassing.

They had 22 shots on goal, compared to Stjarnan's 2 shots on goal.

Europa League action tonight.

Creamy's lads play HNK Rijeka and Caley Thistle play for the first time ever in Europe, when they take on Astra Giurgiu.
Vicky

Postby Trapper John » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:48 am

It appears there might be some cloak and dagger goings on within the Arsenal transfer camp.

Arsene Wenger is very adept at making others believe he's not interested in signings and keeping things close to his chest, as the moves for Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil proved.

Over his years as the longest serving manager in the Premier League he has seen countless transfer targets snatched from his grasp by the opposition, after he has done all the 'identifying' and hard work.

If the reports I've heard today are anything to go by, he's playing a blinder this time because I've been convinced by him that he's not really interested in any more new signings.

I recently reported about the agent who tweeted that Arsenal were about to announce the 'signing of the season' but heard no more.

Well the agent concerned, Muzzie Ozcan has again tweeted that the talks are at an advanced stage and an announcement will be made shortly.

Ozcan has a very good record for accurate information, his agency - Mondial - represents some top English and many European players, so he tends to know the truth about most of the transfer gossip. He recently tweeted about the surprise moves of Bastion Schweinsteiger and Angel Di Maria to Man Utd, days before anyone else knew of any transfer rumours.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:19 am

There have also been some strong reports coming from Italian news sources suggesting that despite Napoli insisting that Gonzalo Higuain will only be sold if someone meets his £67million release clause, it might be a smoke screen.

The reports are saying that Arsenal have made an offer of around £40million but are not prepared to go any higher. After an initial knock back, Napoli are said to have contacted the Gunners again, after Higuain had begged the Italian club's president to allow him to join Arsenal and is prepared to forgo his personal release fee, by putting in a transfer request.

Also there has been further rumours regarding Arsene Wenger's personal phone conversations with Karim Benzema. Wenger has had several 'informal phone chats' with the French and Real Madrid striker recently.

Apparently, according to French sources, Benzema has called Wenger 'for a chat' after it was revealed by Spanish sources that he might not be in Real Madrid's new manager, Rafael Benitez plans for the immediate future.

Lastly, reports in a German sports newspaper are saying that Arsenal are about to make a sensational move for both 'Bender Bros.'

The Gunners are said to in the final stages of agreeing the complicated double swoop for the defensive midfielder pair, Lars and Sven - who play for Bayern Leverkusen and Borussia Dortmund respectively.

That one could be the 'signing of the season' mentioned in tweets by the top German agent, Muzzie Ozcan. :dunno:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Vicky » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:22 pm

Oh and Trapper John!!!

Don't be getting any ideas about "splitting" this thread. Image
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:45 pm

It's a shame about Alexis Sanchez missing the start of the season.

By the time he's ready to play (The begining of September..Arsene reckons)

Arsenal could be down about nine points.

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:16 pm

Liverpool have decided to cough up and pay the £32.5 million release clause so they can buy Christian Benteke.

Well that money they got from selling Raheem Sterling will cover it.
Vicky

Postby Trapper John » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:05 pm

Victoria wrote:Oh and Trapper John!!!

I'll have a think about it when it gets to page 100. :whistle:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:08 pm

Victoria wrote:It's a shame about Alexis Sanchez missing the start of the season.

He'll miss the community shield and probably the opening game against West Ham, after that he'll be available - the bloke is as fit as a butchers dog and there's nothing going to keep him down.

Anyways, we've got plenty of top quality cover even if Wenger decides to rest him longer.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Vicky » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:09 pm

Trapper John wrote:

Don't touch it.
Vicky

Postby Trapper John » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:16 pm

Victoria wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

Don't touch it.

I think I might Image
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Vicky » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:19 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Victoria wrote:It's a shame about Alexis Sanchez missing the start of the season.

He'll miss the community shield and probably the opening game against West Ham, after that he'll be available - the bloke is as fit as a butchers dog and there's nothing going to keep him down.

Anyways, we've got plenty of top quality cover even if Wenger decides to rest him longer.

Ibrox burned down today.

Inside job, they reckon it was Dave King.
Vicky

Next

Return to The Archive