Big Threads

Random Stuff Part Thirteen.

Postby McAz » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:02 pm

Random wrote:
Aziz wrote:

You see it as a test - fair enough. :dunno:

Yeah!

Public speaking is one after that :thumbsup:

There are lots of groups for that though.

I've done lots of public speaking - it's not as daunting as people imagine once you get your first time out of the way. Hecklers and smartarses can be troublesome though.
McAz

Re: Random Stuff Part Twelve.

Postby Stooo » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:06 pm

Aziz wrote:
Random wrote:
Aziz wrote:

Yeah!

I've done lots of public speaking - it's not as daunting as people imagine once you get your first time out of the way. Hecklers and smartarses can be troublesome though.

It depends on the occasion, I've spoken at funerals before as well as Masonic dinners and other formal stuff and neither has many hecklers. Suddenly being made spokesman is a little daunting though... :ooer:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby McAz » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:14 pm

Stooo wrote:
Aziz wrote:
Random wrote:
Aziz wrote:

Yeah!

It depends on the occasion, I've spoken at funerals before as well as Masonic dinners and other formal stuff and neither has many hecklers. Suddenly being made spokesman is a little daunting though... :ooer:

Formal should be easier, by and large you know what's expected and the tone to adopt - though oddly I find them a strain because I've only spoken at 3 or 4 - and I have to watch my natural flippancy. Conferences and training sessions can be a pain, especially if the audience is bored or tired - or worse, if you are.
McAz

Postby Random » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:20 pm

Stooo wrote:
Random wrote:
Aziz wrote:

Yeah!

Why not just get on with it? It never gets any better.

you might be right, I just want a bit of practice, for what I do not know. I have just identified it as one of my fears.

I was so worried before my last interview, I mean not sleeping worried. I posted on here that I wanted to wear navy. ( I couldn't a) afford the suit nor B) it was going to take 3 weeks to get here (from next) So I went in 5 yr old stuff. AND it was black! A big NO!

I thought oh shit! Now you are just going to have to be yourself ( which probably helped me) Cause I'm delightful :mrgreen:

And my point is.. It is nice to work through some stuff alone and other things with other people and help each other.
Random

Postby Random » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:32 pm

Aziz wrote:
Random wrote:
Aziz wrote:

Yeah!

It isn't getting heckled, its just the speaking that terrifies me. I had imaginations that I would not get my words out for my last job interview, but it turns out I did ok!

Everyone else had 20 mins. I know because I got there an hour early :mrgreen:

I got out of there an hour later! With a waiting room full of seats.

Some of the questions I could not answer and I just turned it on them saying / Well what would you do?'

But I remembered the interview wasn't about me, it was about them. And that was the most important thing.
Random

Postby McAz » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:51 pm

Random wrote:
Aziz wrote:
Random wrote:
Aziz wrote:

Yeah!

It isn't getting heckled, its just the speaking that terrifies me. I had imaginations that I would not get my words out for my last job interview, but it turns out I did ok!

Everyone else had 20 mins. I know because I got there an hour early :mrgreen:

I got out of there an hour later! With a waiting room full of seats.

Some of the questions I could not answer and I just turned it on them saying / Well what would you do?'

But I remembered the interview wasn't about me, it was about them. And that was the most important thing.

Rumination rarely does anyone any good - one can imagine any number of scary things - just as you are doing with your walk through unknown territory. And just as you did before your job interview - but you were successful nonetheless.

With public speaking the hardest thing is standing up (or going to the rostrum) - once you open your mouth it gets easier - you may even enjoy it. :thumbsup:
McAz

Postby Random » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:58 pm

Well Aziz.

I got quite stressed the other night thinking there was going to be a war and thinking how it had happened and who exactly caused it.

So I decided to relax and you wont believe me but I nearly fell out of my body!
Random

Postby McAz » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:08 pm

Random wrote:Well Aziz.

I got quite stressed the other night thinking there was going to be a war and thinking how it had happened and who exactly caused it.

Sounds like a wise thing to have done. Bad things will happen whether we stress about them or not - though it is hard sometimes to maintain proportion - as the fretters on her are testament. :laughing:
McAz

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:11 pm

Aziz wrote:
Rumination rarely does anyone any good - one can imagine any number of scary things - just as you are doing with your walk through unknown territory. And just as you did before your job interview - but you were successful nonetheless.

With public speaking the hardest thing is standing up (or going to the rostrum) - once you open your mouth it gets easier - you may even enjoy it. :thumbsup:

What subjects have you spoke about? I've spoken in public at informal type gatherings and if I'm reading mainly from a script I quite enjoy it!

Postby Random » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:14 pm

Aziz wrote:

Sounds like a wise thing to have done. Bad things will happen whether we stress about them or not - though it is hard sometimes to maintain proportion - as the fretters on her are testament. :laughing:

I just concentrated on my breathing to bring me back.

I'm perfectly healthy, but I just thought of people who are dieing, if that's how they experience it. I've meditated before and gone inwards, I think this was out.
Random

Postby McAz » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:31 pm

Guest wrote:
Aziz wrote:

What subjects have you spoke about? I've spoken in public at informal type gatherings and if I'm reading mainly from a script I quite enjoy it!

Government stuff and politics in the main - only rare now. I find I get flummoxed with a script, I tend to use headings only - or just wing it.
McAz

Postby McAz » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:34 pm

Random wrote:
Aziz wrote:

Sounds like a wise thing to have done. Bad things will happen whether we stress about them or not - though it is hard sometimes to maintain proportion - as the fretters on here are testament. :laughing:

I just concentrated on my breathing to bring me back.

I'm perfectly healthy, but I just thought of people who are dieing, if that's how they experience it. I've meditated before and gone inwards, I think this was out.

I do a type of meditation from time to time (a psychological technique) but I struggle with it if I'm on edge - I envy you, yours sounds like fun. :smilin:
McAz

Postby Random » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:40 pm

Aziz wrote:
Guest wrote:
Aziz wrote:

Government stuff and politics in the main - only rare now. I find I get flummoxed with a script, I tend to use headings only - or just wing it.

There is a huge responsibility on that, to know what you are saying is true. As we can see on these forums, any argument can be turned to either side.

And the more it carries on, the more bullshit it is! So not really worth speaking about at all.
Random

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:43 pm

Aziz wrote:
Guest wrote:
Aziz wrote:

A man with a cause and willing to speak up about it. Good for you

Postby McAz » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:46 pm

Guest wrote:
Aziz wrote:
Guest wrote:
Aziz wrote:

A man with a cause and willing to speak up about it. Good for you

Erm, some of it was my job too. :oops:
McAz

Next

Return to The Archive