The Science And Nature Thread - All Welcome

Big Threads

Re: Useless FACTS!!!

Postby Keyser » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:05 am

Moray eels have a second set of jaws that extends from their throats to capture prey.

Keyser

Re: Keyser's Science And Nature Thread.

Postby Keyser » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:46 am

Keyser

Postby Keyser » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:00 pm

Keyser

Postby Keyser » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:10 pm

Keyser

Postby Keyser » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:10 pm

Just reading about a gigantic new species of pterosaur from Romania - paper not out yet so it's just called 'Dracula' - with a wingspan of over 12 metres and half a ton in mass!

The biggest flying animal of all time! :thud:

But the title the youtube user has posted of the vid is wrong of course - pterosaurs were not dinosaurs.

Keyser

Postby Keyser » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:04 pm

Turns out it may have been much bigger than the reconstruction below - possibly up to 20 metres across - Jesus wept! :kinell:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/giant ... -1.4589450

https://www.thelocal.de/20180323/worlds ... ltmuehltal

http://www.upgruv.com/was-dracula-actua ... 49443.html

Keyser

Postby Mickyboy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:48 pm

If you ever met an ET Keyser what question would u ask if u only had one..
Mickyboy

Postby Keyser » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:55 pm

Mickyboy wrote:If you ever met an ET Keyser what question would u ask if u only had one..

How many other other advanced civilisations were there in the galaxy? :cuppaT:
Keyser

Postby Mickyboy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:26 pm

Keyser wrote:
Mickyboy wrote:If you ever met an ET Keyser what question would u ask if u only had one..

What about the entire universe........but do you think there's intelligent life out there Keyser......personally I think there has to be.......
Mickyboy

Postby Keyser » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:38 pm

Mickyboy wrote:
Keyser wrote:

What about the entire universe........but do you think there's intelligent life out there Keyser......personally I think there has to be.......

Well I limited it to the galaxy because even the distances between one star and another are simply mind-boggling.

There could very well be (although I lean more toward Cox's view) but the point is moot.

Even if there were thousands in our galaxy alone we would never be able to communicate in any meaningful way - and that is if their biology was like ours enough for there to be understanding of similar concepts.

Say a civilisation was only a thousand light years away and scientists sent a question to them via radio waves - it would take two thousand years for the reply.

We are and will always be alone in the Universe.

Which is probably for the best judging by the way we treat each other and the rest of the species on this planet.
Keyser

Postby Mickyboy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:50 pm

The only way we're not alone is if the American military for instance have been made contact with ET such as through area 51 for example bcos although we'll never know what really goes on out there Keyser, conspiracy theories abound so I honestly do think ET has made contact but the general public will never find out bcos it'd cause mass hysteria.......
Mickyboy

Postby Keyser » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:56 pm

Mickyboy wrote:The only way we're not alone is if the American military for instance have been made contact with ET such as through area 51 for example bcos although we'll never know what really goes on out there Keyser, conspiracy theories abound so I honestly do think ET has made contact but the general public will never find out bcos it'd cause mass hysteria.......

No I think the chances of that are zero to be honest.

Believe me if an interstellar civilisation arrived here everyone would know all about it.
Keyser

Postby Mickyboy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:59 pm

Keyser wrote:
Mickyboy wrote:The only way we're not alone is if the American military for instance have been made contact with ET such as through area 51 for example bcos although we'll never know what really goes on out there Keyser, conspiracy theories abound so I honestly do think ET has made contact but the general public will never find out bcos it'd cause mass hysteria.......

Believe me if an interstellar civilisation arrived here everyone would know all about it.

So you really don't think we'll ever get to meet ET then except in the movies........
Mickyboy

Postby McAz » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:02 pm

Mickyboy wrote:
Keyser wrote:

So you really don't think we'll ever get to meet ET then except in the movies........

ET already know we're here.
McAz

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive