The Science And Nature Thread - All Welcome

Big Threads

Re: Keyser's science thread.

Postby Trapper John » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:48 am

rollup wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Keyser wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:That first article says the moon may be stressed. Join the club!

That's Christmas for you Lady M! :Slol:

Bah! Humbug!

http://imgfave-herokuapp-com.global.ssl ... 306429.jpg

Oh no xmas is cool. Although it feels like this ones going to be relatively hot!

i wonder if there's gold on the moon, or some other element that could be mined.

The Chinese have had their eye opn mining something that is in abundance on the moon but I can't remember what it is now.

Cheese?
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby rollup » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:50 am

Guest wrote:Hi keyser, do believe in climate change?

Do you think this could be very serious to bio diversity for all animals?.... :ooer: Extreme weather is very scary. We live in uncertain times.

The climate has changed without a doubt. Is it temporary who knows but the floods after floods winter floods spring floods autumn floods and did I mention seasonal floods? Never been like this in my lifetime till quite recently. Ask farmers how risky planting and harvesting now is. It's always been a bit hit and miss but these guys have generations of education about when to go for it and are only occasionally wrong. Now it is seriously risky. Yes before some bright spark shows me pictures of floods from yesteryear I know ... the difference being now is the regularity. Many places are no longer insurable. Talk to farmers and forestry men who have to work and plan with nature how difficult it is now. See my floods thread and people saying no one has ever seen rain like this.
rollup

Postby rollup » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:52 am

Trapper John wrote:
rollup wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Keyser wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:That first article says the moon may be stressed. Join the club!

That's Christmas for you Lady M! :Slol:

Bah! Humbug!

http://imgfave-herokuapp-com.global.ssl ... 306429.jpg

Oh no xmas is cool. Although it feels like this ones going to be relatively hot!

i wonder if there's gold on the moon, or some other element that could be mined.

The Chinese have had their eye opn mining something that is in abundance on the moon but I can't remember what it is now.

Cheese?

Possibly but I think it's some kind of white metallic element.
rollup

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:57 am

rollup wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
rollup wrote:

Cheese?

Silver! Or platinum, isn't that more precious?

Speaking of cheese, we had the best cheeseboard ever yesterday, although my tummys feeling it today. I should have some more, hair of the dog etc.
Lady Murasaki

Postby rollup » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:01 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
rollup wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
rollup wrote:

Cheese?

Speaking of cheese, we had the best cheeseboard ever yesterday, although my tummys feeling it today. I should have some more, hair of the dog etc.

Neither of them but something that is rare on earth but great for .... for .... doing something.
rollup

Postby rollup » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:03 pm

Keyser wrote:
2+2=5 wrote:Keyser, is this the sort of place to talk about the SpaceX rocket landing success? It's kinda remarkable how they've achieved something that sounds simple until you realise the chaotic aspect of propellant, thrust and all the aspects of staying vertical.

Saving money to boot. So it's all good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35157782

Yes it a tremendous achievement, a real advance in rocket technology - and about bloody time!

Landing that rocket like that was amazing!
rollup

Postby Trapper John » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:04 pm

rollup wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
rollup wrote:The Chinese have had their eye opn mining something that is in abundance on the moon but I can't remember what it is now.

Cheese?

Probably one of the Platinum group of metals - they're all silvery white I think .... Rhodium, Palladium, Osmium, Iridium and there's another but I can't remember.

BTW, I haven't googled ...... I had an A2 sized periodic table stuck to my bedroom wall as a kid ... sad I know :oops:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby rollup » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:04 pm

Guest wrote:Hi keyser, do believe in climate change?

Do you think this could be very serious to bio diversity for all animals?.... :ooer: Extreme weather is very scary. We live in uncertain times.

We had daffodils and crocus appearing a week ago but all washed out now. Way before time.
rollup

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:07 pm

rollup wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
rollup wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
rollup wrote:

Cheese?

Neither of them but something that is rare on earth but great for .... for .... doing something.

Titanium. Not sure what it's good for. Weapons probably :roll:
Lady Murasaki

Postby Trapper John » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:10 pm

Talking of 'special metals' one of NASA's R&D project depts. have developed a metal which can reform and re-seal itself after being punctured ....... now that's amazing.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:13 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
rollup wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
rollup wrote:
Trapper John wrote:Possibly but I think it's some kind of white metallic element.

Titanium. Not sure what it's good for. Weapons probably :roll:

Strongest and lightest metal currently known.....so good for lots of things .... yeah and weapons.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:23 pm

Salt was one of the most valuable things on earth to our ancestors.

The great wall of China was financed by taxes on salt, the French Revolution began when the King decided that all salt belonged to him and Ghandi's independence movement used British taxes on salt to kick up unrest in India.

Roman soldiers had part of their wages paid in salt - which is where the word 'salary' comes from.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Keyser » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:48 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:A planet of diamonds is allowed but a moon of gold isn't? :snooty:

Did you know that Gold isn't as rare an earth metal as people think? ....... if you could collect all the gold in our planet and lay it on the surface it would cover the whole planet to a depth of 13 feet.

Thing is 99.9% of Earth's gold is locked away in the molten core of the planet and will never be seen. All of the gold we have now, either came up from the depths during plate tectonic movement or was brought here on comets and meteors.

Yes I knew all that :whistle:
And I know there's gold on that there moon. It is after all a comet that cooled down and stayed with us cos of maths and the physics of rotation and stuff.

Actually Lady M the Moon is the result of a colossal impact between the Mars sized protoplanet Theia and the Earth (very early in the in the Solar System's history). :thumbsup:
Keyser

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:14 am

Keyser wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Trapper John wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:A planet of diamonds is allowed but a moon of gold isn't? :snooty:

Did you know that Gold isn't as rare an earth metal as people think? ....... if you could collect all the gold in our planet and lay it on the surface it would cover the whole planet to a depth of 13 feet.

Thing is 99.9% of Earth's gold is locked away in the molten core of the planet and will never be seen. All of the gold we have now, either came up from the depths during plate tectonic movement or was brought here on comets and meteors.

Yes I knew all that :whistle:
And I know there's gold on that there moon. It is after all a comet that cooled down and stayed with us cos of maths and the physics of rotation and stuff.

Actually Lady M the Moon is the result of a colossal impact between the Mars sized protoplanet Theia and the Earth (very early in the in the Solar System's history). :thumbsup:

What's a protoplanet? Isn't the moon the result of a rock that came off the earth? So it could have some of the same minerals embedded deep down.

Do you watch the Christmas science lectures Keys? One was on last night, I had to record it as I was out but watching it soon, hope I can keep up.
Lady Murasaki

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive