Dog's Football Thread.

Big Threads

Dog's Football Thread.

Postby Sunny » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:37 pm

Stuart Pearce: England legend signs for Longford AFC

England football legend Stuart Pearce is set to come out of retirement aged 53 in a bid to transform the fortunes of a struggling non-league side.

Nicknamed Psycho, the former Nottingham Forest defender played in a World Cup semi-final in 1990 but has signed for a team dubbed "the worst in the UK".

Longford AFC, based in Gloucestershire, have lost all 18 games this season, scoring one goal and letting in 179.

Pearce said the grassroots game was "essential" to the sport's lifeblood

I started out in non-league football playing for Wealdstone before joining Coventry City," he said.

"So I'm looking forward to working with manager Nick Dawe, and helping a group of talented young footballers achieve their dreams and, hopefully transforming both the dressing room confidence, as well as the on-the-pitch performance, and seeing how far they can go up the league."

Longford AFC's biggest losses

2015-16 season

goals conceded

0-17 Loss at home to Bibury

16-0 Loss away to Lydney Town Reserves

0-15 Loss at home to Quedgeley Wanderers

14-0 Loss away to Woolaston

Source: The FA

Infographic about Longford AFC's biggest losses this season
Longford AFC are rooted to the bottom of the Gloucestershire Northern Senior League Division Two.

With an awful record and a growing interest from the media, the side has been dubbed "the worst team in England".

But that could change following the recruitment of their star January signing, who is expected to train with the squad before playing one game with them.

'No special treatment'

Nick Dawe, Longford AFC manager, said the opportunity would give the side "the best chance possible to go further than we ever have done before".

A year ago we were playing in front of one man and his dog and now we are set to [attract] hundreds for Stuart Pearce's debut," he added.

"Stuart knows that there will be no special treatment, he will still need to pay his £5 a game subs."

Pearce, a winner of 78 England caps, was part of Sir Bobby Robson's squad that reached the last four of the World Cup in Italy in 1990, and the Terry Venables-led side that was eliminated at the same stage of Euro '96.

He retired from playing six years after that, having enjoyed spells at Newcastle United, Manchester City, West Ham, Coventry and non-league Wealdstone as well as captaining Forest under the management of Brian Clough.

Good on him wanting to help them. :smilin:

TJ if you read this, want to apologise for posting too many pics will keep this new thread tame and just the odd one here and there. :wink:
Sunny

Location: White Hart Lane.. Champions league winners. 2018/2019

Re: The Footy thread refreshed

Postby Sunny » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:18 am

Deputy sports editor at the Guardian says....
Tottenham are close to a deal for Fulhams Moussa Dembele, fee will be an initial 5 mill. Be a good signing if it happens. He'd be ideal cover for Kane. Also be funny to have a Moussa Dembele and a Mousa Dembele playing at the same time for us. :smilin:
Sunny

Postby Sunny » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:21 am

Pep Guardiola’s latest insistence on him willing to wait for up to two seasons for the perfect opportunity in England to open up has sent the county’s media into a dizzying rush. Guardiola is set to leave Bayern Munich at the end of his contract this summer as the Spaniard looks to the Premier League towards a new challenge.
While Bayern Munich are reluctant to let him go, it maybe a huge gain for the Premier League as the English clubs aren’t doing as well in Europe and are in danger of losing the fourth qualification spot to Serie A. But all that could change and if Guardiola’s cryptic message is anything to go by, Arsenal could well be the club that he’s hinting at taking over.

Arsenal have gone about their business fairly well this season and are well poised for a title challenge but as it has happened over many seasons they are yet to make the step up from tournament hopefuls to tournament favourites in the Champions League and it is here that Guardiola could be ideal for the Gunners who play a similar style to his teams and are looking towards a future beyond Arsene Wenger.
Sunny

Postby Kat » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:09 am

Oh we are back .morning sunny Victoria n tj .at min sunny anything can happen in football who would have thought the top would be like this ??? Chelsea manager Jose getting sack hounded by press.now van gaal having his own ear with press I said ages ago who will the next manager team to get a ribbing ?arsenal Liverpool???the press just love the rumours don't they .pep tomancity man u .think arsenal are !atest your manager sunny linked to other clubs too .do t worry love its only gossip
Kat

Postby Trapper John » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:06 pm

Sunny wrote:Pep Guardiola’s latest insistence on him willing to wait for up to two seasons for the perfect opportunity in England to open up has sent the county’s media into a dizzying rush. Guardiola is set to leave Bayern Munich at the end of his contract this summer as the Spaniard looks to the Premier League towards a new challenge.
While Bayern Munich are reluctant to let him go, it maybe a huge gain for the Premier League as the English clubs aren’t doing as well in Europe and are in danger of losing the fourth qualification spot to Serie A. But all that could change and if Guardiola’s cryptic message is anything to go by, Arsenal could well be the club that he’s hinting at taking over.

Arsenal have gone about their business fairly well this season and are well poised for a title challenge but as it has happened over many seasons they are yet to make the step up from tournament hopefuls to tournament favourites in the Champions League and it is here that Guardiola could be ideal for the Gunners who play a similar style to his teams and are looking towards a future beyond Arsene Wenger.

That rumour has been doing the rounds for a while but I hadn't heard that he said he was prepared to wait for the right opportunity.

There is no doubt that if given the choice of any club to manage in the world next, he would chose Arsenal, apparently he has told close friends that.

Not only is his style of football already ingrained at Arsenal, the whole demeanour of the club is right up his street. If it were just a case of him and his wife and family preferring to live in London, he would be going to Chelsea but are many other reasons why the two are as perfect a match as a manager and club could be.

1. Arsenal are in London, his preferred new home.
2. The club has a long and illustrious history and is numbered amongst greatest and most respected clubs in the world.
3. The club is run so well, in all aspects from top to bottom. It's directors are not prone to panic and have a history of giving visions time to happen.
4. Arsenal now have all the financial resources he could ever want, he doesn't need £billions to buy success just sufficient funds and time to do what he wants to do.
5. The current squad is virtually 'plug & play' so he could make an instant impact without a massive rebuilding job. Most of the players, from the first team to the youth squad, are players he might have chosen himself.
6. There is, at the moment, 'scope for improvement' he will see the opportunity to make his name and answer questions some have had about his 'success' at Barcelona and Bayern Munich - the biggest question being anyone can be a success at those clubs.

I said early last year, there were rumours Arsenal had already been in talks with him, that Wenger has also spoken to him personally and he was impressed that even though he knows he's the current 'world's favourite coach' Arsenal would never turn their back on the man who has done so much for the club, it shows respect and class, something very important to him.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Trapper John » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:36 pm

Personally, I'm a bit lukewarm on Guardiola for the reasons others question his 'reputation' - it wasn't hard to be successful at Barcelona or at Munich. The Premier League is a different animal, as many coaches and players with huge European credentials and reputations have found out. I would certainly never advocate getting rid of Wenger to replace him with Guardiola but if it's a mutually agreeable change then it's acceptable.

There is no doubt, his name alone would inspire the best out of players, certainly initially, and would be worth 20 points in his first season just him being on the touchline.

The thing that would concern me most would be his longevity - what happens when the initial euphoria dies down and clubs and players 'work him out' - it's not the Bundesliga or La Liga where the odd mistake is easily rectified next game and soon forgotten, it's the Premier league, it's unforgiving and a thumping from Southampton or Stoke fucking hurts and leaves scars.

The biggest problem I think Guardiola will face, whoever he joins will be that he can't leave the Premier league games to look after themselves while he concentrates on the Champions League, something that's been easy to do at Barca and Munich - It's full on and relentless every week, with no winter break and an extra cup to play as well - I think he's in for a bit of a shock.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Sunny » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:44 pm

Kat wrote:Oh we are back .morning sunny Victoria n tj .at min sunny anything can happen in football who would have thought the top would be like this ??? Chelsea manager Jose getting sack hounded by press.now van gaal having his own ear with press I said ages ago who will the next manager team to get a ribbing ?arsenal Liverpool???the press just love the rumours don't they .pep tomancity man u .think arsenal are !atest your manager sunny linked to other clubs too .do t worry love its only gossip

Hiya Kat hun. :wubbers:
Yeah I am getting pissed off with the presss the minute they see spurs doing ok they start stiring crap, but am sure he wont go.
Hope u ok kat and start getting some results, as long as we keep winning too that is. :laughing:
Sunny

Postby Sunny » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:45 pm

Trapper John wrote:Personally, I'm a bit lukewarm on Guardiola for the reasons others question his 'reputation' - it wasn't hard to be successful at Barcelona or at Munich. The Premier League is a different animal, as many coaches and players with huge European credentials and reputations have found out. I would certainly never advocate getting rid of Wenger to replace him with Guardiola but if it's a mutually agreeable change then it's acceptable.

There is no doubt, his name alone would inspire the best out of players, certainly initially, and would be worth 20 points in his first season just him being on the touchline.

The thing that would concern me most would be his longevity - what happens when the initial euphoria dies down and clubs and players 'work him out' - it's not the Bundesliga or La Liga where the odd mistake is easily rectified next game and soon forgotten, it's the Premier league, it's unforgiving and a thumping from Southampton or Stoke fucking hurts and leaves scars.

The biggest problem I think Guardiola will face, whoever he joins will be that he can't leave the Premier league games to look after themselves while he concentrates on the Champions League, something that's been easy to do at Barca and Munich - It's full on and relentless every week, with no winter break and an extra cup to play as well - I think he's in for a bit of a shock.

The thing is TJ, Wenger is gonna want to retire anyway, and u need a good manager someone like him to take over who else would u be happy with? Anyone else u have in mind?
Sunny

Postby Trapper John » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:19 pm

Sunny wrote:
Trapper John wrote:Personally, I'm a bit lukewarm on Guardiola for the reasons others question his 'reputation' - it wasn't hard to be successful at Barcelona or at Munich. The Premier League is a different animal, as many coaches and players with huge European credentials and reputations have found out. I would certainly never advocate getting rid of Wenger to replace him with Guardiola but if it's a mutually agreeable change then it's acceptable.

The thing is TJ, Wenger is gonna want to retire anyway, and u need a good manager someone like him to take over who else would u be happy with? Anyone else u have in mind?

I don't think we have any choice, Wenger has another season after this on his contract. I remember when Arsenal got rid of Bruce Rioch and David Dean unveiled Wenger - pretty much everyone said "Arsene who?" - there are people out there who aren't in the limelight all the time, so who knows. :dunno:

There's another thing, if France have a terrible Euro's this summer they might beg him to take over, Wenger could very well see a job with less day to day stress as an ideal way of weaning himself out of football.

Likewise, Guardiola could very well decide to take another year's 'sabbatical' it's not as if he needs the money or he's going to be forgotten - if that happens I would pretty guarantee he's heading for Arsenal.

I can't see it though, I think he's Man City bound but I'm not convinced it's as 'a done deal' as everyone thinks.

I do know one thing for sure, Arsenal will have planned for Wenger's exit, we won't have the same shambles that has gone on at Man Utd and Chelsea, when he does go.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Sunny » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:31 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Sunny wrote:

I don't think we have any choice, Wenger has another season after this on his contract. I remember when Arsenal got rid of Bruce Rioch and David Dean unveiled Wenger - pretty much everyone said "Arsene who?" - there are people out there who aren't in the limelight all the time, so who knows. :dunno:

There's another thing, if France have a terrible Euro's this summer they might beg him to take over, Wenger could very well see a job with less day to day stress as an ideal way of weaning himself out of football.

Likewise, Guardiola could very well decide to take another year's 'sabbatical' it's not as if he needs the money or he's going to be forgotten - if that happens I would pretty guarantee he's heading for Arsenal.

I can't see it though, I think he's Man City bound but I'm not convinced it's as 'a done deal' as everyone thinks.

I do know one thing for sure, Arsenal will have planned for Wenger's exit, we won't have the same shambles that has gone on at Man Utd and Chelsea, when he does go.

I don't think he will leave u guys in the lurch it will be all sorted nicely if he left but one question would you want Mourinho?
Sunny

Postby Vicky » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:35 pm

Kat wrote:Oh we are back .morning sunny Victoria n tj .at min sunny anything can happen in football who would have thought the top would be like this ??? Chelsea manager Jose getting sack hounded by press.now van gaal having his own ear with press I said ages ago who will the next manager team to get a ribbing ?arsenal Liverpool???the press just love the rumours don't they .pep tomancity man u .think arsenal are !atest your manager sunny linked to other clubs too .do t worry love its only gossip

Hi Kat. Image

Good luck to your lads tonight.

Vicky

Postby Trapper John » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:39 pm

The disturbing news I reported yesterday, about the future of the Champions league has moved on a bit and it doesn't bode well for the game of football.

UEFA have refused to rule out the possibility that major European clubs such as Manchester United and AC Milan could be guaranteed Champions League football in the future, regardless of their domestic league position.

The European Clubs Association—made up of the continent’s senior clubs—are hatching a money-spinning plan to reserve Champions League places every year from 2018 for the most high-profile clubs. The scheme championed by the Italian clubs, headed by AC and Inter Milan have found allies in Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool.

UEFA has refused to deny the plot which would limit the opportunity of smaller teams aiming for qualification. In a statement yesterday after the news broke:

"UEFA constantly reviews the format of its competitions in close consultation with stakeholders, including the European Club Association, said a UEFA spokesperson. There are no concrete proposals on the table at this stage as we have just begun a new three-year cycle (2015-18) for club competitions. There is therefore no further comment to be made at this stage."

It is a worrying sign that UEFA has not moved to deny such an unfair and transparently greedy idea and it looks like struggling major clubs are trying to take advantage of the power vacuum at UEFA, with former president Michel Platini currently under an eight-year ban and general secretary Gianni Infantino running for the FIFA top job.

The lure of the Champions League is one of the principle motivators for teams in the domestic European leagues, and for the likes of current Premier League high-flyers Leicester, the potential rewards of breaking into the competition are huge.

The Champions League prospects of the continent's relative minnows could be hugely limited by the introduction of reserved spots.
The 2015-16 season sees the likes of United, Milan, Chelsea and Liverpool—all winners in the 21st century—facing the very real prospect of missing out on Champions League football next season.

It is no surprise that they are looking to guarantee their future in the tournament, and the Champions League undoubtedly benefits financially from having the top clubs compete. However, it is ultimately fairly despicable that the ECA could be looking to reserve spots for such clubs, at the expense of smaller outfits that can hugely benefit financially from a Champions League spot.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Kat » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:41 pm

Victoria wrote:

Hi Kat. Image

Good luck to your lads tonight.

Thanks Victoria x
Kat

Postby Sunny » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:42 pm

​Arsenal have emerged as surprising contenders for the signature of Hull City's Uruguayan International forward Abel Hernandez, who has played a big part in Hull's bid for an immediate return to the Premier League.

Oooh! did u hear about that TJ?

Problem is bloody press u don't know what to believe hey?
Sunny

Postby Kat » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:43 pm

Trapper John wrote:The disturbing news I reported yesterday, about the future of the Champions league has moved on a bit and it doesn't bode well for the game of football.

UEFA have refused to rule out the possibility that major European clubs such as Manchester United and AC Milan could be guaranteed Champions League football in the future, regardless of their domestic league position.

The European Clubs Association—made up of the continent’s senior clubs—are hatching a money-spinning plan to reserve Champions League places every year from 2018 for the most high-profile clubs. The scheme championed by the Italian clubs, headed by AC and Inter Milan have found allies in Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool.

UEFA has refused to deny the plot which would limit the opportunity of smaller teams aiming for qualification. In a statement yesterday after the news broke:

"UEFA constantly reviews the format of its competitions in close consultation with stakeholders, including the European Club Association, said a UEFA spokesperson. There are no concrete proposals on the table at this stage as we have just begun a new three-year cycle (2015-18) for club competitions. There is therefore no further comment to be made at this stage."

It is a worrying sign that UEFA has not moved to deny such an unfair and transparently greedy idea and it looks like struggling major clubs are trying to take advantage of the power vacuum at UEFA, with former president Michel Platini currently under an eight-year ban and general secretary Gianni Infantino running for the FIFA top job.

The lure of the Champions League is one of the principle motivators for teams in the domestic European leagues, and for the likes of current Premier League high-flyers Leicester, the potential rewards of breaking into the competition are huge.

The Champions League prospects of the continent's relative minnows could be hugely limited by the introduction of reserved spots.
The 2015-16 season sees the likes of United, Milan, Chelsea and Liverpool—all winners in the 21st century—facing the very real prospect of missing out on Champions League football next season.

It is no surprise that they are looking to guarantee their future in the tournament, and the Champions League undoubtedly benefits financially from having the top clubs compete. However, it is ultimately fairly despicable that the ECA could be looking to reserve spots for such clubs, at the expense of smaller outfits that can hugely benefit financially from a Champions League spot.

I'm of the op that you earn it to be in it and as a man u fan if we don't earn the place we shouldn't be there .think any fan would think that from all clubs
Kat

Next

Return to The Archive