France Euro 2016.

Big Threads

France Euro 2016.

Postby Vicky » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:15 pm

It's only a few weeks until this year's footballing extravaganza starts and the excitement is already getting to me..

So i've started the thread, everyone has been waiting for.

Scotland didn't qualify, but my maternal grand-parents country did, so i won't be left out of all the fun.

Vicky

Re: Euro 2016.

Postby Vicky » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:19 pm

Most of the teams who qualified have friendlies lined up and Scotland entertain Italy in a few weeks and then we play France.

Scotland played France years ago and we hadn't beaten them for more than fifty years.

Then this happened..

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:20 pm

Holly's lads have qualified as well.

Vicky

Postby Robocop » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:24 pm

Nice work Vics! Might as well get this show on the road (as it were!).

I am not taking the piss when I say I think it's a genuine shame Scotland didn't qualify- I thought your boys were going to do it as well. :bawlin: I am always a fan of playing the home nations and it's always especially good to play the auld enemy!

ps- are your maternal Grandparents English? If so does that mean you may have a little soft spot for your southern neighbours in the upcoming tournament? :woo:
Robocop

Postby Vicky » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:33 pm

Robocop wrote:Nice work Vics! Might as well get this show on the road (as it were!).

I am not taking the piss when I say I think it's a genuine shame Scotland didn't qualify- I thought your boys were going to do it as well. :bawlin: I am always a fan of playing the home nations and it's always especially good to play the auld enemy!

ps- are your maternal Grandparents English? If so does that mean you may have a little soft spot for your southern neighbours in the upcoming tournament? :woo:

English!! :kinell:

No they came from Northern Ireland, Robs.

It's a shame we'll be the only one out the four home Nations not going to France, but we need to put that disappointment behind us and concentrate on the World Cup qualifiers.

I reckon Scotland's biggest test will be against England and I'm really looking forward to the game in November. :yess:
Vicky

Postby Robocop » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:58 pm

Victoria wrote:
Robocop wrote:Nice work Vics! Might as well get this show on the road (as it were!).

It's a shame we'll be the only one out the four home Nations not going to France, but we need to put that disappointment behind us and concentrate on the World Cup qualifiers.

I reckon Scotland's biggest test will be against England and I'm really looking forward to the game in November. :yess:

Haha, sorry, I should've guessed they weren't English. :paranoid: :oops:

I totally agree er it being a shame but fair play to you for starting the thread (I know loads of fans, mainly England fans who totally zone out of tournaments if we are not in them).

I too am looking forward to the game in November. I've said it in the other footie thread but I for one would love to have an annual, or perhaps bi-annual home nations/ Ireland tournament more regularly, much like with the 6 nations. That would be awesome.

Good luck to your 2nd team Northern Ireland too. :cheers:
Robocop

Postby Vicky » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:19 pm

Robocop wrote:
Victoria wrote:

Haha, sorry, I should've guessed they weren't English. :paranoid: :oops:

I totally agree er it being a shame but fair play to you for starting the thread (I know loads of fans, mainly England fans who totally zone out of tournaments if we are not in them).

I too am looking forward to the game in November. I've said it in the other footie thread but I for one would love to have an annual, or perhaps bi-annual home nations/ Ireland tournament more regularly, much like with the 6 nations. That would be awesome.

Good luck to your 2nd team Northern Ireland too. :cheers:

TJ and i were discussing the thread last week and here it is.

(TJ thinks England will win France 2016, I think you have a chance, but I don't think you'll win it.

It's a shame Scotland and England don't play each other every year

It's the biggest international game there is and the oldest.

We first played in 1872.
Vicky

Re: UEFA Euro 2016.

Postby Trapper John » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:23 pm

I'm so glad you started the thread ..... I began to get itchy fingers when I saw a post from Canary saying she'd start one ..... then I got distracted and forgot.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Vicky » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:31 pm

Trapper John wrote:I'm so glad you started the thread ..... I began to get itchy fingers when I saw a post from Canary saying she'd start one ..... then I got distracted and forgot.

Really?

I must have missed that post of Canny's.

Anyway please don't get carried away, like you did during the World Cup and i promise i won't take the piss, when England get knocked out. :wubbers:
Vicky

Postby Trapper John » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:33 pm

Victoria wrote:
Trapper John wrote:I'm so glad you started the thread ..... I began to get itchy fingers when I saw a post from Canary saying she'd start one ..... then I got distracted and forgot.

Really?

Anyway please don't get carried away, like you did during the World Cup and i promise i won't take the piss, when England get knocked out. :wubbers:

I won't get carried away - only the competition should really be to decide who is going to play us in the final. :smilin:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Robocop » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:36 pm

Victoria wrote:TJ and i were discussing the thread last week and here it is.

(TJ thinks England will win France 2016, I think you have a chance, but I don't think you'll win it.

We first played in 1872.

You have some good knowledge, and yeah the Scotland England games should definitely be a fixture in the calendar given the history behind it. :thumbsup:

We wouldn't be England fans if we didn't think we were going to win everything going. Just look at the reaction when we beat Germany recently! It's been that way since I can remember. I actually bought into the 'Golden Generation' stuff though during the Scholes, Beckham, Gerrard, Owen era and thought that group may have had a chance, but it never did happen, and we've not even looked close in recent times.

Since then, I do think expectations have been tempered, although maybe playing youth and kids and people in form may bring us more success than before... although old Woy will have to try and be a little bit more expansive and adventurous if we're to do well imo.
Robocop

Postby Vicky » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Victoria wrote:

Really?

I won't get carried away - only the competition should really be to decide who is going to play us in the final.

France will play Italy in the Final and I'm being serious, you won't finish top of Group F in the World Cup qualifiers.

Scotland will take at least four points off you.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:51 pm

Robocop wrote:
Victoria wrote:TJ and i were discussing the thread last week and here it is.

We first played in 1872.

You have some good knowledge, and yeah the Scotland England games should definitely be a fixture in the calendar given the history behind it. :thumbsup:

We wouldn't be England fans if we didn't think we were going to win everything going. Just look at the reaction when we beat Germany recently! It's been that way since I can remember. I actually bought into the 'Golden Generation' stuff though during the Scholes, Beckham, Gerrard, Owen era and thought that group may have had a chance, but it never did happen, and we've not even looked close in recent times.

Since then, I do think expectations have been tempered, although maybe playing youth and kids and people in form may bring us more success than before... although old Woy will have to try and be a little bit more expansive and adventurous if we're to do well imo.

England have lots of talented young players and I think Roy made a mistake, taking some of the old guard to Brazil.

I think he just needs to find the right positions to put them in.

Harry Kane was the star player at the under 21 European Championships last year, he should do well in France.
Vicky

Postby Drunk Dalek » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:01 pm

I won't be watching but I'll be reading the threads on it and laughing at all the inevitable crying as the usual suspects get knocked :pointlaugh: :pointlaugh:
Drunk Dalek

Postby Robocop » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:02 pm

Victoria wrote:France will play Italy in the Final and I'm being serious, you won't finish top of Group F in the World Cup qualifiers.

Scotland will take at least four points off you

Victoria! How could you? :bawlin: :mrgreen:

Robocop

Next

Return to The Archive