Cecil The Lion Part Two.

Big Threads

Re: Cecil The Lion.

Postby Vicky » Fri May 27, 2016 11:07 am

luddite wrote:
Victoria wrote:
luddite wrote:People treat dogs as if they're human, I've heard then refer to themselves as the dog's mummy and daddy. :pukeup:

Lions kill and eat other animals and, as far as I know, there are no maudlin threads about the poor little wildebeest. :flog:

So get real and stop anthropomorphising animals, sure they don't deserve to end up as a trophy for some rich twat but get real. :brickwall:

So what!!

I would rather people treated dogs and cats like little fur people, than read horrendous cases of animal abuse.

For the record!!

I don't call myself Jack's mum, but I do spoil him and buy him birthday cards and presents etc.

I'm not harming anyone.

I find that quite laudable Vic, I don't currently have a pet but in the past I have owned a collie and had a cat deign to live with me so I can see what a positive presence they have.

However this honoring the memory, gnashing of teeth and wailing over a wild animal who you never even met is laughable. :flog:

Who is wailing?

I started this thread last August after a beautiful animal was killed by someone who shot a lion after enticing him out of his safe enclosure.

Cecil staggered about for days, before the sick cunt of a dentist finished him off.

If you can't see anything wrong with that, you have serious issues on the moral front.
Vicky

Re: Cecil The Lion Part Two.

Postby luddite » Fri May 27, 2016 11:07 am

Victoria wrote:Image

Quite. :whistle:
luddite

Postby Vicky » Fri May 27, 2016 11:10 am

I shall ask our members (Trolls not included)

Does this make you sick?

Vicky

Postby luddite » Fri May 27, 2016 11:14 am

Victoria wrote:
luddite wrote:
Victoria wrote:
luddite wrote:People treat dogs as if they're human, I've heard then refer to themselves as the dog's mummy and daddy. :pukeup:

Lions kill and eat other animals and, as far as I know, there are no maudlin threads about the poor little wildebeest. :flog:

So get real and stop anthropomorphising animals, sure they don't deserve to end up as a trophy for some rich twat but get real. :brickwall:

So what!!

I would rather people treated dogs and cats like little fur people, than read horrendous cases of animal abuse.

For the record!!

I don't call myself Jack's mum, but I do spoil him and buy him birthday cards and presents etc.

I'm not harming anyone.

I find that quite laudable Vic, I don't currently have a pet but in the past I have owned a collie and had a cat deign to live with me so I can see what a positive presence they have.

However this honoring the memory, gnashing of teeth and wailing over a wild animal who you never even met is laughable. :flog:

Who is wailing?

I started this thread last August after a beautiful animal was killed by someone who shot a beautiful lion after enticing out of his safe enclosure.

Cecil staggered about for days, before the sick cunt of a dentist finished him off.

If you can't see anything wrong with that, you have serious issues on the moral front.

That makes me sad that you would think so Vic, but as you posted, it happened last August and presumably you never met Cecil, who incidentally was a top of the food chain predator.
Would you feel the same if Cecil had been a rattlesnake or a hippopotamus?
Or if he had been named gigantic, vicious, carnivorous beast? :flog:
luddite

Postby luddite » Fri May 27, 2016 11:16 am

Victoria wrote:I shall ask our members (Trolls not included)

Does this make you sick?

YES!
luddite

Postby Garrett1 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:22 am

luddite wrote:

Does this make you sick?

YES!

So why the hell are you whittering on about snakes and hippos FFS?
Garrett1

Postby Frank39 » Fri May 27, 2016 12:35 pm

Does this make you sick?

It doesn't make me sick, it makes me angry, and I abhor the senseless slaughter of any animal.
Wouldn't it be lovely if Cecil had been feigning death, and suddenly opened his eyes, turned round,
and bit that cunt's head clean off?
Frank39

Postby Maddog » Fri May 27, 2016 3:31 pm

Robocop wrote:
Maddog wrote:Lions were first fingered as being particularly tough on Africa’s cheetahs in 1994. A researcher documented the big cats attacking and killing up to 57% of cheetah cubs in Tanzania’s Serengeti National Park. (They rarely ate the cubs, although the cheetah mothers often consumed the remains of their offspring after the lions had left.)

Things seemed almost as bad for African wild dogs, long-legged canines that are not related to domestic dogs. They have colorful, patchy coats and hunt ungulates such as wildebeest and gazelle. In the park, researchers documented that as the lion’s population surged (it nearly tripled from less than 50 to nearly 200 between 1966 and 1998 because of increasing numbers of prey, particularly wildebeest), the wild dogs, which had once numbered about 50, declined. Eventually, in 1992, the animals vanished from Serengeti National Park altogether, although small numbers persisted in lion-free areas outside the park’s boundary. Biologists have estimated that lions kill up to 32% of the canines.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/04/ ... xist-lions

Come on now Madders, you're not trying to say the, erm, 'evil serial killer' animals you describe above somehow justify hunting in any way surely?

We know that animals kill other animals. Sometimes they don't do it for food but for a variety of other reasons be it eliminating the competition for prey or even maybe for what us humans might perceive in our minds as 'fun'.

None of that is relevant here IMO. Animals are not 'evil' of course, they do what they do because they're.. well.. animals. I've never really understood those who think a fox is 'evil' or 'bad' because it might enter a chicken coop and kill not just one bird for food but every chicken he sees. This is what they do, he's a damn fox, and when we subscribe human emotions to them on a like for like basis, we're treading down a rather rocky road.

The only exception I might make is where perhaps an alien species is introduced and it decimates a local ecosystem and threatens to cause permanent damage, but even if those animals were to be culled, I'd hope the people doing the killing saw it as a job as opposed to an opportunity to post a selfie of them with a great big shit eating grin on their face next to a pile of severed heads.

I have corrected people numerous times that believe animals only kill for food. They kill for myriad of reasons.

What they don't do is limit their harvest to certain species and genders to make sure the populations remain optimal. Human hunters do that, and the results of those practices has benefited all species..

Animal conservation is not a place for children. Hugging the bunnies is not always the best form of management.
Maddog

Postby Maddog » Fri May 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Does this make you sick?

Doesn't bother me in the least as long as it was legally harvested. If they are poachers they should be punished.
Maddog

Postby Robocop » Fri May 27, 2016 4:28 pm

Maddog wrote:I have corrected people numerous times that believe animals only kill for food. They kill for myriad of reasons.

What they don't do is limit their harvest to certain species and genders to make sure the populations remain optimal. Human hunters do that, and the results of those practices has benefited all species..

Animal conservation is not a place for children. Hugging the bunnies is not always the best form of management.

Hey Maddog yes sorry I wasn't aiming the reasons they kill for food at you specifically or trying to tell you things you don't already know, more just giving my take on it too. :thumbsup:

Always good to discuss these kind of topics IMO.
Robocop

Postby Si_Crewe » Fri May 27, 2016 4:31 pm

Maddog wrote:Doesn't bother me in the least as long as it was legally harvested. If they are poachers they should be punished.

I understand what you've been saying but I'd add that it needs to be justifiable as well as simply "legal".

After all, there's nothing stopping politicians in a given country from relaxing the regulations on hunting and allowing a species to be wiped out entirely.
Just 'cos something is legal, it doesn't mean it's right or something we should accept.

Of course (as has already been said), there's certainly more to conservation than hugging animals.
Game reserves need money to survive and they can only support a given number of animals so if they can earn enough from hunting to cover their costs and continue to protect some animals by charging people to kill animals they'd have to cull themselves, otherwise, then good luck to them.
Some people seem to have the idea that's cruel and it'd be better to just let the populations grow but I guess they don't understand concepts such as animals being territorial and it's smarter to choose which ones stay on a reserve and which ones relocate or which ones are the best candidates for breeding etc.

Harsh as it might seem, an aging male lion like Cecil was probably always going to end up looking down the barrel of a hunter's rifle sooner or later.

The problem is that this scumbag paid some other scumbags to ensure he got his jollies when he wasn't supposed to.
Si_Crewe

Postby Vam » Fri May 27, 2016 6:01 pm

Does this make you sick?

Ohhhh yes...

Anyone know what that grinning dickhead is up to these days? Maybe saving up to 'bravely' go and inflict torture on another semi-tame animal, before finally slaughtering it.
Vam

Postby Maddog » Fri May 27, 2016 6:31 pm

Si_Crewe wrote:
Maddog wrote:Doesn't bother me in the least as long as it was legally harvested. If they are poachers they should be punished.

I understand what you've been saying but I'd add that it needs to be justifiable as well as simply "legal".

After all, there's nothing stopping politicians in a given country from relaxing the regulations on hunting and allowing a species to be wiped out entirely.
Just 'cos something is legal, it doesn't mean it's right or something we should accept.

Of course (as has already been said), there's certainly more to conservation than hugging animals.
Game reserves need money to survive and they can only support a given number of animals so if they can earn enough from hunting to cover their costs and continue to protect some animals by charging people to kill animals they'd have to cull themselves, otherwise, then good luck to them.
Some people seem to have the idea that's cruel and it'd be better to just let the populations grow but I guess they don't understand concepts such as animals being territorial and it's smarter to choose which ones stay on a reserve and which ones relocate or which ones are the best candidates for breeding etc.

Harsh as it might seem, an aging male lion like Cecil was probably always going to end up looking down the barrel of a hunter's rifle sooner or later.

The problem is that this scumbag paid some other scumbags to ensure he got his jollies when he wasn't supposed to.

The bigger problem is politicians over riding what the people in charge of conservation deem appropriate. It's often down to political pressure from emotional, albeit well intentioned, people. From what I understand, the hunter did exactly what he was instructed to do, after he paid his fees. That's what you do when you pay guides, and they get paid to get you on an animal, based on all of the local laws. You harvest what, when and where they tell you.

The biggest uproar about this came from people that don't even live there. Africans know how to manage wildlife including big cats. They are not going to try to eradicate something that raises so much money from their local economies. It's like saying a rancher want's to kill all his cows, because he sends a percentage of them to the slaughter house to keep paying the bills.
Maddog

Postby Maddog » Fri May 27, 2016 6:34 pm

Vam wrote:

Does this make you sick?

Ohhhh yes...

Anyone know what that grinning dickhead is up to these days? Maybe saving up to 'bravely' go and inflict torture on another semi-tame animal, before finally slaughtering it.

What is the obsession with calling them brave? I know quite a few hunters. No one has ever really considered it an act of bravery. It's like fishing. A combination of luck, skill and knowledge.

Don't like it, don't do it.
Maddog

Postby Vam NLI » Fri May 27, 2016 7:17 pm

Maddog wrote:
Vam wrote:

Does this make you sick?

Ohhhh yes...

What is the obsession with calling them brave?
I know quite a few hunters. No one has ever really considered it an act of bravery. It's like fishing. A combination of luck, skill and knowledge.

Don't like it, don't do it.

:ooer: ...hold onto your Stetson, MD. I was being sarcastic when I said 'brave'. Which is why I used these >> ' '

Any recent news on him in your part if the world?
Vam NLI

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive