What's on the menu tonight? pt 2

Big Threads

Re: What's on the menu tonight? pt 2

Postby Trapper John » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:48 am

Holly wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:
Holly wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:I've just come over all mummsy and made a rice pudding for after tea

whether it survives until child arrives home from school is another matter

I love rice pudding...Do you let it burn a little bit? Well not burn as such, but just a bit brown and crunchy? :drool:

God yes, then we battle for the 'skin'

YES!!!! My kids are always fighting for the skin and the crunchy bits :razz:

Nutmeg sprinkled on top before it goes in the oven makes for a lovely brown and tasty skin.

I can't get 'rice pudding' rice anywhere these days, I've looked everywhere. :dunno: All anyone seems to sell is long grain rice for savoury dishes which is totally useless for rice pudding, you need those fat, dumpy grains for soaking up the milk.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:51 am

Trapper John wrote:
Nutmeg sprinkled on top before it goes in the oven makes for a lovely brown and tasty skin.

I can't get 'rice pudding' rice anywhere these days, I've looked everywhere. :dunno: All anyone seems to sell is long grain rice for savoury dishes which is totally useless for rice pudding, you need those fat, dumpy grains for soaking up the milk.

have you looked in the baking aisle? if you can't find it there, risotto rice is the same thing, they're both arborio.

Postby HobbitFeet » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:54 am

Trapper John wrote:
Holly wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:
Holly wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:I've just come over all mummsy and made a rice pudding for after tea

whether it survives until child arrives home from school is another matter

I love rice pudding...Do you let it burn a little bit? Well not burn as such, but just a bit brown and crunchy? :drool:

God yes, then we battle for the 'skin'

YES!!!! My kids are always fighting for the skin and the crunchy bits :razz:

It's not where you expect it should be, it's in the baking aisle usually with things like ground almonds, not in the rice aisle, and yes nutmeg is a must
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby HobbitFeet » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:56 am

Guest wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

have you looked in the baking aisle? if you can't find it there, risotto rice is the same thing, they're both arborio.

it suggests paella rice as a substitute in the recipe I linked - all work just as well I'd think
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:58 am

HobbitFeet wrote:
Guest wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

it suggests paella rice as a substitute in the recipe I linked - all work just as well I'd think

that's a good suggestion. thanks for posting about the rice pudding, hobbitfeet, i'm going to make one myself now. :laughing:

Postby Trapper John » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:05 pm

Guest wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

Yeah, I looked for risotto rice too, no luck with that either. Will try the baking aisle then next time, cheers for that. :thumbsup:

I mean what a twat I am expecting to find rice in the rice aisle. :roll:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:08 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Guest wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

Yeah, I looked for risotto rice too, no luck with that either. Will try the baking aisle then next time, cheers for that. :thumbsup:

I mean what a twat I am expecting to find rice in the rice aisle. :roll:

no shop bought rice pudding ever tastes as good as home made, i hope you find it.

Postby Trapper John » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:08 pm

My Dad used to put sultanas in his rice puddings sometimes just for a change, thats nice too.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:16 pm

Anyone like baked apples?

I loved them yet I haven't had one for absolutely yonks. My mum and dad used to make them for us, big fat cookers, cored out and stuffed with butter, sultanas and demerra brown sugar. When cooked soft and out on a plate or bowl, pour on hot custard and let the melted butter and sugar ooze out into it, they were to die for on a freezing cold day.

Calories? who cares, not me. :dunno:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby VR6storm » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:19 pm

Jacket Spud, topped with Chilli, Guac, Sour Cream and Chives.
VR6storm

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:25 pm

Trapper John wrote:Anyone like baked apples?

I loved them yet I haven't had one for absolutely yonks. My mum and dad used to make them for us, big fat cookers, cored out and stuffed with butter, sultanas and demerra brown sugar. When cooked soft and out on a plate or bowl, pour on hot custard and let the melted butter and sugar ooze out into it, they were to die for on a freezing cold day.

Calories? who cares, not me. :dunno:

:drool: :wubwub:

Postby Trapper John » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:25 pm

VR6storm wrote:Jacket Spud, topped with Chilli, Guac, Sour Cream and Chives.

I used to love Chilli but recently (last year or so) I can't seem to tolerate it anymore. I get terrible hurtburn now, like a sort of reflux that seems to last for hours and sometimes into next day. :dunno:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby VR6storm » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:52 pm

Trapper John wrote:
VR6storm wrote:Jacket Spud, topped with Chilli, Guac, Sour Cream and Chives.

I used to love Chilli but recently (last year or so) I can't seem to tolerate it anymore. I get terrible hurtburn now, like a sort of reflux that seems to last for hours and sometimes into next day. :dunno:

I do like a Chilli with a bit of a kick to it - not overly so, but you know the chilli is there....... not sure if i should be eating all this stuff either asI'm on the old Omeprazole tabs for exacly the same condition!! :whistle:
VR6storm

Postby malamute » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:50 pm

Roast lamb, mint sauce, sweetheart cabbage, peas and carrots. Roast potatoes and yorkies and gravy. Bought caramel apple crumble and custard from Aldi.
malamute

Postby malamute » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:53 pm

Regarding the rice puddings - my Mum used to make it using evaporated milk which made it nice and creamy. She always had a good skin on the top.

I never have a problem finding pudding rice in supermarkets. It's usually with the meringues, tinned fruit etc.
malamute

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive