I don’t fancy anything.

Why? Toothache or wind?
Lady Murasaki

Re: What's on the menu tonight? pt 2

Postby Text » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:52 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:I have chicken. But no idea what to do with it.

May wrap it in bacon, chuck some mozerella and bbq sauce over it. But I’m not sure I really fancy that.

here's my go to quick recipe for chicken

zip bag - in goes a glug of olive oil, lemon zest (not the juice), oregano, minced garlic

marinate couple of hours

I tend to use the mini fillets so just tip them into a hot griddle pan no oil needed as they already have that in the marinade, 10 mins or so turning them

then I let them cool down a bit, chop each into a couple of chunks and serve on a green salad squeezing the zested lemon over it, sometimes I do pasta instead of the salad

Oh this actually sounds perfect. Low on carbs, high protein, can stuff some micronutrients in with the salad. :thumbsup:
And it’s mini fillets I have so even less hassle.

Does the oregano need to be fresh? The only fresh herbs I have in are basil, thyme and mint. But I do have dry.

no I always use dried for it, as it softens in the marinade bag there's no mileage in using fresh (it would probably go too mushy I think and I always have dried in)

Dried herbs are a disappointment tho. Basil is one of the worst - the dried version is such poor quality compared with fresh.
Saying that, I find a pinch of 'mixed dried herbs' [from asda] livens up most supermarket meals esp pizza.
Bouquet garni [from sainsbury] has its uses too, it seems a nice compromise between dried and fresh.
Text

Postby HobbitFeet » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:55 pm

Canary wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:I have chicken. But no idea what to do with it.

May wrap it in bacon, chuck some mozerella and bbq sauce over it. But I’m not sure I really fancy that.

zip bag - in goes a glug of olive oil, lemon zest (not the juice), oregano, minced garlic

marinate couple of hours

I tend to use the mini fillets so just tip them into a hot griddle pan no oil needed as they already have that in the marinade, 10 mins or so turning them

then I let them cool down a bit, chop each into a couple of chunks and serve on a green salad squeezing the zested lemon over it, sometimes I do pasta instead of the salad

Oh this actually sounds perfect. Low on carbs, high protein, can stuff some micronutrients in with the salad. :thumbsup:

Does the oregano need to be fresh? The only fresh herbs I have in are basil, thyme and mint. But I do have dry.

no I always use dried for it, as it softens in the marinade bag there's no mileage in using fresh (it would probably go too mushy I think and I always have dried in)

Dried herbs are a disappointment tho. Basil is one of the worst - the dried version is such poor quality compared with fresh.
Saying that, I find a pinch of 'mixed dried herbs' [from asda] livens up most supermarket meals esp pizza.
Bouquet garni [from sainsbury] has its uses too, it seems a nice compromise between dried and fresh.

so dried herbs are shit except when they aren't

I see

I grow thyme, mint, rosemary & basil, the only fresh one I buy is tarragon, the rest are store cupboard staples, and as long as they are added early enough and come from a freshish jar they do the job just fine

I only use fresh organic garlic though

and I never buy ready meals
Last edited by HobbitFeet on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby dis » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:55 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
dis wrote:I don’t know. :bawlin:

I don’t fancy anything.

Why? Toothache or wind?

Ach, just don’t know what I want. All I’ve ate all day is a couple of swizzle sweets. I’ll probably end up eating cheese and grapes at midnight or seomthing sensible think that.
dis

Postby Lady Murasaki » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:59 pm

dis wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
dis wrote:I don’t know. :bawlin:

I don’t fancy anything.

Why? Toothache or wind?

Ach, just don’t know what I want. All I’ve ate all day is a couple of swizzle sweets. I’ll probably end up eating cheese and grapes at midnight or seomthing sensible think that.

Sounds good.
I'm cooking for the lads but I just fancy a ploughmans type lunch. Pringles, cheese, sausage roll, grapes, berries, salad bits n bobs.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:45 pm

Cheese burger chips beans and egg.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Text » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:50 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Canary wrote:
Goodwife wrote:Are you a vegan canary?

I saw that aussie "celeb" vegan being talked about the other day. He is a ridculous man

Not at all, GW. The packaging looked pretty, I was rushing, didn't realise it was vegan.

I luv meat, I worship on the altar of meat.
Repeat after me, GW, "MEAT is NEAT".
haha :laughing:

Get back up those stairs now!
Sneaking down to raid the fridge .....

♬♫ I'm a secret lemonade ♬ ♪ drinker. ♬♪
Me and all my siblings could do great impersonations of that guy.
Not keen on lemonade tho.
Text

Postby Text » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:55 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:
Canary wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:
HobbitFeet wrote:

marinate couple of hours

so dried herbs are shit except when they aren't

I see

I grow thyme, mint, rosemary & basil, the only fresh one I buy is tarragon, the rest are store cupboard staples, and as long as they are added early enough and come from a freshish jar they do the job just fine

I only use fresh organic garlic though

and I never buy ready meals

BIB1 Got it in one! :smilin:
BIB2 I never did either, but I'm less of a purist these days. Besides, curiosity gets the better of me when I see all the new stuff that's coming out esp oriental meals.
Text

Postby Cleopatra » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:52 am

Carvery this afternoon, with all the trimmings (Maybe even a glass of wine). I'm feeling fragile and decadent.
Cleopatra

Postby malamute » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:56 pm

I've discovered this wonderful Chinese curry sauce mix by Mayflower. It is £1 a box from B and M and Farm Foods and I think Amazon do it. Its in powdered form and you add it to water. I did chicken and prawn curry and egg fried rice with spring onions and peas. Five of us eating tonight and everybody said it was as good as a proper chinese takeaway. :canny:
malamute

Postby Goodwife » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:11 pm

malamute wrote:I've discovered this wonderful Chinese curry sauce mix by Mayflower. It is £1 a box from B and M and Farm Foods and I think Amazon do it. Its in powdered form and you add it to water. I did chicken and prawn curry and egg fried rice with spring onions and peas. Five of us eating tonight and everybody said it was as good as a proper chinese takeaway. :canny:

Oh yes good stuff :mrgreen:

You can get mayflower made up curries in some frozen food shops, the independents and Iceland.

I can't decide what to have tonight
Goodwife

Postby Text » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:42 pm

Goodwife wrote:
Canary wrote:
Goodwife wrote:Are you a vegan canary?

I saw that aussie "celeb" vegan being talked about the other day. He is a ridculous man

Not at all, GW. The packaging looked pretty, I was rushing, didn't realise it was vegan.

I luv meat, I worship at the altar of meat.
Repeat after me, GW, "MEAT is NEAT".
haha :laughing:

Thank god for that. I worship at the same church :mrgreen:

I also have PLENTY of fruits and veg in my diet too, to balance things out, and provide those essential vitamins and fibre.
Good health is priceless! :laughing:
Text

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:54 pm

huge baked spud with crispy grilled onions, very crispy bacon, creme fraiche & redcurrant jelly.

Postby malamute » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:33 pm

Guest wrote:huge baked spud with crispy grilled onions, very crispy bacon, creme fraiche & redcurrant jelly.

Sounds lovely! I’m doing jacket spuds tonight and Ive made a meatloaf with extra lean mince, grated carrot, chopped onion, parsley, Seasoning and an egg to bind.
malamute

Postby Keyser » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:37 pm

Toad in the Hole - wish lashings of black pepper and mustard. :cuppaT:
Keyser

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive