Re: Random Stuff Part Eighteen

Big Threads

Postby Nucks » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:24 pm

Vicky wrote:
Canucklehead wrote:
Vicky wrote:Image

Lots of those I agree with, being from over there.

I’ve been never heard anyone here refer to a pepper as capsicum, I think that’s its scientific name or something, right?

Chips v french fries... sort of. If you got to a place that serves fish and chips, they’re usually thick-cut and still called chips. Fries are what you get at McDonald’s.

Minced beef is often referred to as hamburger.

Porridge is porridge. Some people call it oatmeal but everyone would know what you meant if you said porridge.

Puddings & dessert ... we have pudding also but it’s a specific kind of dessert. The consistency is like custard, popular flavours are chocolate, butterscotch, banana, and tapioca.

One that I’ve remembered also is cottage pie. Over there it’s called shepherds pie even if it’s made with beef. Lamb mince is not very popular at all.

What you guys might called potatoes dauphinois or au gratin I would call scalloped potatoes.

Scones are sometimes called biscuits, so,if you’ve heard of biscuits and gravy they’re not putting gravy on custard cremes or anything. :gigglesnshit:

You guys have single and double cream, we have half & half and whipping cream, although they’re not exactly like for like it’s the closest I can think of. We don’t have clotted cream at all, although I wish we did, it’s lovely. :wubbers:

Then just to confuse matters, various parts of Britain have their own words for things.

I would say "I would like my pieces in a poke" whereas someone English might say "I would like my sandwiches in a bag"

Another one is soda, i think that's what it's called in America.

I say ginger, most English people say pop.

:laughing:

I hear fizzy pop or fizzy drink a lot.

Another one, although not strictly a foodstuff, you have bicarb of soda and we call it baking soda. We also don’t have plain and self-raising flour, it’s usually all purpose flour, which I think is most similar to plain, although I could be mistaken. I sometimes call jam ‘jelly’, as in peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Nucks

Postby Stooo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:29 pm

Canucklehead wrote:I hear fizzy pop or fizzy drink a lot.

Another one, although not strictly a foodstuff, you have bicarb of soda and we call it baking soda. We also don’t have plain and self-raising flour, it’s usually all purpose flour, which I think is most similar to plain, although I could be mistaken. I sometimes call jam ‘jelly’, as in peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I just call it pop. What do you call your bread flour? It has the word strong in front of it here.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby NastyNickers » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:35 pm

Canucklehead wrote:
Vicky wrote:
Canucklehead wrote:
Vicky wrote:Image

Lots of those I agree with, being from over there.

I’ve been never heard anyone here refer to a pepper as capsicum, I think that’s its scientific name or something, right?

Chips v french fries... sort of. If you got to a place that serves fish and chips, they’re usually thick-cut and still called chips. Fries are what you get at McDonald’s.

Minced beef is often referred to as hamburger.

Porridge is porridge. Some people call it oatmeal but everyone would know what you meant if you said porridge.

Puddings & dessert ... we have pudding also but it’s a specific kind of dessert. The consistency is like custard, popular flavours are chocolate, butterscotch, banana, and tapioca.

One that I’ve remembered also is cottage pie. Over there it’s called shepherds pie even if it’s made with beef. Lamb mince is not very popular at all.

What you guys might called potatoes dauphinois or au gratin I would call scalloped potatoes.

Scones are sometimes called biscuits, so,if you’ve heard of biscuits and gravy they’re not putting gravy on custard cremes or anything. :gigglesnshit:

You guys have single and double cream, we have half & half and whipping cream, although they’re not exactly like for like it’s the closest I can think of. We don’t have clotted cream at all, although I wish we did, it’s lovely. :wubbers:

Then just to confuse matters, various parts of Britain have their own words for things.

I would say "I would like my pieces in a poke" whereas someone English might say "I would like my sandwiches in a bag"

Another one is soda, i think that's what it's called in America.

I say ginger, most English people say pop.

:laughing:

I hear fizzy pop or fizzy drink a lot.

I think self raising is just all purpose/plain with added bicarb and salt?

As for the pop, we tend to call it whatever brand it is, Coke/lemonade/fizzy vimto/dandelion and burdock. We had a ‘pop man’ though who used to drive around in a van full of different kinds and we’d go get a bottle. We also had a video man, in a van full of videos. Only one that has lasted is the ice cream Man :shake head:

French fries for me are skinny chips like McDonald’s. Curly fries are curly skinny chips.

There’s a translation I came across in Mexico and I cannot bloody remember it, it it had me seriously scratching my head.
NastyNickers

Postby Nucks » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:04 am

I don’t know if it’s a common phrase here, but I have seen people use/say full-fat Coke when referring to regular Coke. :gigglesnshit: No version of Coke has fat that I’m aware of. Lots of sugar though.
Nucks

Postby Nucks » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:31 am

Don’t think this quite belongs in the juke box thread, but it had me in fits. :gigglesnshit: :gigglesnshit:

Nucks

Postby Lady Murasaki » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:36 pm

Canucklehead wrote:Don’t think this quite belongs in the juke box thread, but it had me in fits. :gigglesnshit: :gigglesnshit:

:pmsl:
I could only listen to 1 minute of it though. :mrgreen:
Lady Murasaki

Postby Vicks » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:45 pm

Frosty are you and Toots putting the Crimbo tree up on the 1st of December?

I'm going to put mine up early as well.

:stocking:
Vicks

Postby Vicks » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:47 pm

Canucklehead wrote:I don’t know if it’s a common phrase here, but I have seen people use/say full-fat Coke when referring to regular Coke. :gigglesnshit: No version of Coke has fat that I’m aware of. Lots of sugar though.

I always say the "Fat Irn Bru" because the sugar free one is rotten.
Vicks

Postby Drunk Dalek » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:19 pm

I wish it would stop fucking raining :again?:
Drunk Dalek

Postby Stooo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:29 pm

Canucklehead wrote:I don’t know if it’s a common phrase here, but I have seen people use/say full-fat Coke when referring to regular Coke. :gigglesnshit: No version of Coke has fat that I’m aware of. Lots of sugar though.

It's just slang, full fat means none of that diet rubbish :mrgreen:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:30 pm

Drunk Dalek wrote:I wish it would stop fucking raining :again?:

Not being fucking cold would be nice as well.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Vicks » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:27 pm

The Scottish weather is a very strange thing..

In the "Summer" it would have frozen the arse of you, but we're in the last few days of November and i feel sick with the heat.

Vicks

Postby Fletch » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:08 pm

North Korea Fires Ballistic Missile Which Lands In Japan's Economic Zone
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-11-2 ... ic-missile

:doomed:
Fletch

Postby Vicks » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:02 am

46C0EAB100000578-0-image-a-7_1511862563109.jpg
46C0EB0100000578-0-image-a-9_1511862830511.jpg
Vicks

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:42 pm

In Scotland fizzy drinks are known as 'ginger' They will say "Get me a bottle of ginger please" And you have to figure out what type they want be it coke, irn bru, lemonade or any other type of fizz including that revolting blue stuff!

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive