Dog's Football Thread Part Six.

Big Threads

Re: Dog's Football Thread Part Six.

Postby Trapper John » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:41 am

Dean wrote:I suppose the other home nations could have a tournament this summer while the mighty England are at the World Cup. They all have a bit of free time...

True dat ......... do ya think Scotland would be able suffer the embarrassment of coming third though?
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Dean » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:44 am

Trapper John wrote:
Dean wrote:I suppose the other home nations could have a tournament this summer while the mighty England are at the World Cup. They all have a bit of free time...

True dat ......... do ya think Scotland would be able suffer the embarrassment of coming third though?

I think they’re used to embarrassment by now...
Dean

Postby Trapper John » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:54 am

Dean wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

I think they’re used to embarrassment by now...

Aye but even the most downtrodden must have a breaking point. I mean when a nation's only meaningful victory against a traditional foe is Bannockburn circa 1314 - that threshold has got to be crossed sooner than later.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Vicky » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:53 pm

Racist and Xenophobic, Trapper John.

How nice.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:55 pm

Sunny has the right idea, given this thread a body swerve most of the week.

:hand:
Vicky

Postby Trapper John » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:09 pm

Vicks wrote:Racist and Xenophobic, Trapper John.

How nice.

Thats rich coming from Miss Sectarian 1995 :smilin:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Red Okktober » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:53 pm

Trapper John wrote:Just on this VAR thing, not sure when the ref asks for assistance? ....is he constantly asking for it or is the Video ref giving him a constant rundown of the game? ........ or as it appeared last night, Antonio Conte was asking for it to be reviewed?

Conte was clearly seen motioning to 4th official John Moss that he thought the Welbeck/Fabregas incident was a penalty. Moss appeared to then speak on his microphone to the ref, who then stopped the game when the ball went out of play to ask for VAR.

Like I said, the game had moved on for at least 30 seconds if not more, so are they going to call the game back every time a manager isn't happy with a decision? .... that will be bollocks if they do.

I'm all for technology in football, but the problem with waiting for a decision is what happens to any major incidents during the wait. say in that 30 seconds Arsenal went up the other end and scored? Or a player got red carded, or there was another penalty incident that required looking at? Would all those things be nullified if the original penalty was given? :dunno:
Red Okktober

Postby Trapper John » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:58 pm

Red Okktober wrote:
Trapper John wrote:Just on this VAR thing, not sure when the ref asks for assistance? ....is he constantly asking for it or is the Video ref giving him a constant rundown of the game? ........ or as it appeared last night, Antonio Conte was asking for it to be reviewed?

Conte was clearly seen motioning to 4th official John Moss that he thought the Welbeck/Fabregas incident was a penalty. Moss appeared to then speak on his microphone to the ref, who then stopped the game when the ball went out of play to ask for VAR.

Like I said, the game had moved on for at least 30 seconds if not more, so are they going to call the game back every time a manager isn't happy with a decision? .... that will be bollocks if they do.

I'm all for technology in football, but the problem with waiting for a decision is what happens to any major incidents during the wait. say in that 30 seconds Arsenal went up the other end and scored? Or a player got red carded, or there was another penalty incident that required looking at? Would all those things be nullified if the original penalty was given? :dunno:

Yep exactly, that was my thinking too. Henry also made a pertinent point. He said that Chelsea had to wait to take that corner whilst the refs were consulting, they had us under the cosh and very likely lost an advantage by given us time to regroup and catch a breath.

Even worse, it could have been our corner under the same circumstances.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Dean » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:08 pm

At my daughters match this past Saturday, she was playing in a local derby with a bit of needle concerning ex players and parents, I won’t go into details. Anyway, with 20 minutes to go we were 3-0 up and they had no chances of any note, so it was only going to be how many we scored. Their manager decided to utilise the rolling sub rule every 2 minutes to kill our momentum and keep the score down to a respectable level.

It wasn’t against the rules but it killed the game as a spectacle. It’s how I imagine VAR would be in pro football. Especially if a manger has any say in getting reviews. 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go, let’s review every decision possible to kill momentum. I’m not a fan...
Dean

Postby Trapper John » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Dean wrote:At my daughters match this past Saturday, she was playing in a local derby with a bit of needle concerning ex players and parents, I won’t go into details. Anyway, with 20 minutes to go we were 3-0 up and they had no chances of any note, so it was only going to be how many we scored. Their manager decided to utilise the rolling sub rule every 2 minutes to kill our momentum and keep the score down to a respectable level.

It wasn’t against the rules but it killed the game as a spectacle. It’s how I imagine VAR would be in pro football. Especially if a manger has any say in getting reviews. 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go, let’s review every decision possible to kill momentum. I’m not a fan...

Thats what I'm hoping doesn't happen. When they were talking about it originally they were saying that maybe a manager would get 1 call each half but I don't think thats gonna happen.

It looks as if it's gonna be just the refs decision whether to review an incident but that will probably be just as bad becasue they are going to be intimidated by both players and managers, they already are now without VAR. :shake head:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Dean » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:22 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Dean wrote:At my daughters match this past Saturday, she was playing in a local derby with a bit of needle concerning ex players and parents, I won’t go into details. Anyway, with 20 minutes to go we were 3-0 up and they had no chances of any note, so it was only going to be how many we scored. Their manager decided to utilise the rolling sub rule every 2 minutes to kill our momentum and keep the score down to a respectable level.

Thats what I'm hoping doesn't happen. When they were talking about it originally they were saying that maybe a manager would get 1 call each half but I don't think thats gonna happen.

It looks as if it's gonna be just the refs decision whether to review an incident but that will probably be just as bad becasue they are going to be intimidated by both players and managers, they already are now without VAR. :shake head:

You can imagine every manager jumping up and down on the sidelines every time a decision goes against them, getting in the 4th officials face. The red might feel under pressure from the crowd if they feel something should be reviewed that isn’t.

There’s certainly a few bugs to iron out...
Dean

Postby Trapper John » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:02 pm

The Guardian sports room are reporting that Manchester United have approached Arsenal with an offer of £25million for Alexis Sanchez, thats £5million more than the £20million City have been reported to have offered earlier this week and which Arsenal have not yet replied to.

The reports are also saying that United have offered Sanchez better personal terms than City have, which are reported to be around £250,000pw.

United have also offered Arsenal the first chance to buy Henrikh Mkhitaryan who has been out of favour recently with Jose Mourinho. So who knows what is going to happen in the next few days?

I didn't hold much store in these reports because of this continual mention of what Manchester City are said to be offering Sanchez. Sanchez is free to talk to foreign clubs this window, but not Premier league ones until the summer, so how could they know? but of course Sanchez almost went to City in the summer so that's what they are working on.

I don't know if Henrikh Mkhitaryan is suitable for us, he seems a bit lightweight for my liking but Wenger never worries about that. He may be an option if Wenger's preferred target, 20 year old Brazilian forward Malcolm currently at Bordeaux comes to nothing as it seems there are some ownership issues here.

The stumbling block for a Henrikh Mkhitaryan deal would be the players wages, reported to be £200,000 pw which is more than either Sanchez or Ozil currently get.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:22 pm

Real Madrid are parting company with manager Zinedine Zidane at the end of the season after a poor defence of their La Liga title.

The club are making overtures to the German national team manager Joachim Low. Low has a contract with the German FA until 2020 and if Real Madrid want him they will likely have to pay the German FA significant compensation for his signature.

Madrid President Florentino Perez doesn't see that as the major obstacle but sees rather more difficulty in getting Low to walk away from one of the most promising generations of young players in German footballing history.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Vicky » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:28 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Vicks wrote:Racist and Xenophobic, Trapper John.

How nice.

Thats rich coming from Miss Sectarian 1995 :smilin:

Look you!!

I make no secret of the fact that I hate Celtic but that doesn't equal hating Catholics.

Are you aware that Protestants also support Celtic?

No I don't imagine you are.

Now seeing as hating your rivals in frowned upon, don't say another word about Spurs.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:30 pm

Oh and don't try and push me out this thread.

I kept it going for a year on my own, when you and yer buddies were nowhere to be seen.

:dafinger:
Vicky

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive