Dog's Football Thread Part Six.

Big Threads

Re: Dog's Football Thread Part Six.

Postby Trapper John » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:29 pm

wutang wrote:
Trapper John wrote:That doesn't quite seem right though, if that was the case they wouldn't have sold 50,000 tickets.

How many of those are mandatory via the season ticket?

Its not like we havent seen Arsenal announce sell-outs before while clearly seeing whole sections of the ground empty

Yeah that was my first thought but only certain season tickets cover all cup games as well as Premier League, I don't know whether these Europa leagues games are included in the season ticket.

Nevertheless there is a thriving business in 'non required' season ticket sales through official and unofficial channels, so I do think a lot didn't venture out because of the weather and the warnings. I reckon it was a bit of everything combined, it certainly wasn't an orchestrated stay away.

He's also right when he said about other clubs in both the Euro competitions having poor crowds in the latter stages, I saw some where the crowds were almost non existent and anyone farting would be picked up in the commentary box.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Vicky » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:37 pm

skysports-jose-mourinho-pep-guardiola_4001247.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42285648

Good article about the Manchester Derby.

:header:
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:44 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/top-50-football-derbies-world-11313880

An article about the top ten football derbies.

Rangers and Celtic came 3rd with River Plate and Boca Juniors in 1st place.

The only English derby mentioned that was Liverpool/Man Utd in 8th place.

Vicky

Postby Trapper John » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:16 pm

I had a nice surprise. I thought that as Sky were showing both the Manchester and Scouser derbies that I'd be on stream hunt again, with Arsenal going to Southampton for the midday kick off on Sunday.

However BT has come to my rescue and they are covering the game. I am surprised by that but I'm not complaining.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Vicky » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:30 pm

Trapper John wrote:I had a nice surprise. I thought that as Sky were showing both the Manchester and Scouser derbies that I'd be on stream hunt again, with Arsenal going to Southampton for the midday kick off on Sunday.

However BT has come to my rescue and they are covering the game. I am surprised by that but I'm not complaining.

That's a first.

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:27 am

Another win for Rangers yesterday against Ross County, moves Glasgow's finest back into 2nd place.

The Gers have a far better goal difference than Aberdeen.

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:32 am

There's a few games on today..

Man Utd v Man City.

(I think it's a disgrace that a team who've played so well, have to put up with talk of bribery etc)

The big one for me..

Hibs v Celtic

I really, really, really, hope Hibs win today!!!

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:52 am

Southampton play Arsenal today at St Mary's.

Arsenal have already beaten Southampton twice this season, but Southampton have never lost three times at home to the same club in a calendar year.

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:02 am

Wuts lads game against Notts County finished 1-1 yesterday.

Vicky

Postby Sunny » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:28 am

Fantastic win for spurs yesterday, they were sizzling beating Stoke 5-1.....and spurs broke a record yesterday by being the only team to beat a team 4 times in a row with 4 or more goals. COYS! :smilin:
Sunny

Location: White Hart Lane.. Champions league winners. 2018/2019

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:33 am

Summary of Saturday's Premier league games sees what will probably be the most surprising result of the weekend.

A Low on confidence West Ham entertained last season's champions Chelsea in a game no-one assumed would be anything other than a victory for Conte's team. Not so, David Moyes is making slow but genuine progress since taking over as manager and this game was proof of that. A well taken goal by Arnautovic, his first for the Hammers after 6 minutes put Chelsea in disarray. A West Ham side that just a few weeks ago, wouldn't have been able to hold on to that, they did as Moyes defensive know how gave them a well deserved 1-0 victory and 3 valuable points.

Another new face in a hotseat is Roy Hodgson who since taking over at Crystal Palace has seen his side play extremely well in many games yet fail to come away with anything, due to a myriad unfortunate turns of fate. Yesterday's game was another to add to the list as Bournemouth visited Selhurst Park and took a 1-0 lead after 10 minutes through Jermain Defoe. The goal shouldn't have stood as an obvious foul was commited before Defoe netted, which neither the ref or linesmen appeared to see. A penalty gave Palace the equaliser 4 minutes before half time and 3 minutes later the lead as Scott Dann converted. It looked as if Palace would go in as half time leaders but a wonder/ lucky goal from Defoe levelled it at 2-2 in 3 minutes of added first half time.

Palace continued to batter Bournemouth's goal but with little luck and so it remained until into the 3rd minute of added time at the end of the game, Zaha was brought down in the Bournemouth box. The second penalty of the game was awarded but instead of the scorer of the first taking it, Christian Benteke, the Premier league's least confident striker insisted on taking it, much to the disgust of many of his team mates. It was poorly taken and saved leaving the final score at 2-2 and once again Palace ruing their misfortunes.

In the other games, Spurs welcomed a Stoke side who after a bright start to the season have been on a slide since their whooping by Man City. Nevertheless it took an own goal by Stoke's Ryan Shawcross to break the ice halfway through the first half. It remained that way until early in the second half, as Spurs starting the sharper of the two teams, scored 3 goals in 12 minutes to put the result beyond doubt. A fifth goal came 15 minutes from time before Shawcross made up for his unfortunate own goal by adding a consolation 10 minutes from time. The game ended 5-1 to Spurs.

Yesterday's early game featured Newcastle against visitors Leicester a close game with perhaps the geordies having the best of it for the most part. Rafa Benitez side also hasn't had much fortune of late and again it wasn't going to shine on them. After taking the lead they found themselves behind from goals by Mahrez and Gray by 60 minutes. Dwight Gale levelled at 2-2 with 15 minutes to go and it looked like a share of the points, though both sides kept pressing. Misfortune once again struck though as a last push from Leicester brought about a deflection and an own goal giving Leicester a not particularly deserved 2-3 win. Newcastle will be very disappointed they didn't come away with at least a point, they did deserve that.

This season's newcomers Huddersfield and Brighton came together to see the home side take the honours in commanding fashion with a confident win, Huddersfield 2 Brighton 0.

Sean Dyche's Burnley continue to create news as they tough it out with the big boys at the top of the league. The 1-0 victory against visitors Watford wasn't the whole story though, Watford had the best of the game by far and will curse themselves for not coming away with at least something.

Finally, under pressure manager Paul Clement saw his side Swansea take on WBA and the last of the most recent managerial appointments, Alan Pardew. In an evenly matched game which was perhaps just for the supporters of both clubs, there was little to write home about. The good news for the Welsh side is that they won the game 1-0 and it was scored by 'prodigal son' Wilfried Bony who seems to have finally found his shooting boots by scoring in each of his last two outings. Clement gets a respite from the pressure for at least the rest of the weekend by bagging his first 3 points in 8 games and keeping the Swans off the foot of the table.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:35 am

Sunny wrote:Fantastic win for spurs yesterday, they were sizzling beating Stoke 5-1.....and spurs broke a record yesterday by being the only team to beat a team 4 times in a row with 4 or more goals. COYS! :smilin:

Did you not see the first half?
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:36 am

Vicks wrote:Southampton play Arsenal today at St Mary's.

Arsenal have already beaten Southampton twice this season, but Southampton have never lost three times at home to the same club in a calendar year.

Southampton are another bogey team of ours, especially when they are at home. :ooer:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Sunny » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:39 am

Trapper John wrote:
Sunny wrote:Fantastic win for spurs yesterday, they were sizzling beating Stoke 5-1.....and spurs broke a record yesterday by being the only team to beat a team 4 times in a row with 4 or more goals. COYS! :smilin:

Did you not see the first half?

I did, and Son was amazing, then second half began and it all kicked off and we were on fire....great to see Lamela back and keeping in mind TJ, we have lost Toby for a while now and he is due back to help our defence, and Wanyama due to come back soon....so it can only get better and better now.....I personaly think we should focus on CL now....Man city have it in the bag but cant see spurs not finishing top 4. You have Southampton today hey? Then midweek the hammers who are gonna be very confident after beating the rent boys. :gigglesnshit:

We have Brighton at home on Wednesday so come next weekend we could be back in the top 4. :thumbsup:
Sunny

Location: White Hart Lane.. Champions league winners. 2018/2019

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:46 am

Two little snippets before I watch the game.

Manchester United's supporters in the media never give up, sports reporter for the Mail says that although Paul Pogba's vicious foul on Arsenal's Hector Bellerin deserved a red card, it was Bellerin's fault because he doesn't tackle properly. :gigglesnshit:

This is the outrageous one: An unnamed Premier league player has been banned by a betting company with the rest of the industry warned, because he has gambled away £5.5million in a matter of a couple of months. The player, said to earn £100,000 pw has gambled away an average of £250,000 pw. :shake head:

So with no reputatble betting firm going to touch him with a barge pole, where will he turn next? I hope they have reported him to the FA who will in turn get help for him, probably through the players association, the bloke definitely has a big problem.
Trapper John
Gunner.

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive