Dog's Football Thread Part Six.

Big Threads

Re: Dog's Football Thread Part Six.

Postby Vicky » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:22 am

A poll ahead of the Arsenal v Manchester United game has found that 46% of those asked, think it will be a draw.

If Arsenal win..

It will be their 13th victory on the trot and it would equal their Premier League record, that was set in 2005 during the Henry/Bergkamp era.

There's talk that the Emirates has become the most formidable away ground in the EPL.

Arsenal's defence was build on the principle of dividing the pitch into quarters across the back four without the ball and then into thirds while in possession, when he would only permit one full-back to push forward.

Good idea that.

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:26 pm

Aberdeen-V-Rangers.jpg

As i mentioned earlier..

Rangers are off to the God forsaken place called Aberdeen tomorrow.

It's not actually the Scots who are tight fisted, it's the Aberdonians.

True story..

A man in Aberdeen was walking by the barbers, when he saw this sign..

Haircuts £10 Shaves £3

So he went in and asked the barber to shave his head.

Anyway about the football..

One of the reasons Aberdeen hate Rangers so much is because of the rather pathetic number of times they've won the League Title compared to Rangers.

Aberdeen 4 times

Glasgow Rangers 54 times

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:29 pm

Another annoying habit the teuchters have is they say stupid things like..

"Dae ye Ken whit a mean"

Why can't they say know like everyone else?

Vicky

Postby Dean » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:46 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Dean wrote:England
Belgium
Tunisia

One more to go...

That was a bit early to fall off your chair pissed ....... nevermind, i'll finish up for you - "and it's Panama!"

Yeah, sorry about that...

Great draw for England, shouldn’t have any trouble getting through that group. We would play the teams from Poland’s group should we progress, so it looks promising...
Dean

Postby Lucian » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:48 pm

Hi

we are not really football people but at our son's humble/detached home in the nicer part of sevenoaks we watched man U vs Aresnal, interesting match - we are more of the tennis and f1 armchair pundits

btw, world cup, what are the odds for ital to win the 2018 event??
Lucian

Postby Vicky » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:30 am

I hope I didn't jinx Arsenal with my post yesterday.

It was Man United who ended their last unbeaten run as well.

:Ssad:
Vicky

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:18 am

I suppose I better get it over with. :bawlin:

Once again, Arsenal are the architects of their own demise. Just as in midweek, when a slow and casual start almost saw us come a cropper against Huddersfield, I knew then that if start like that against better teams that will be it. And so it proved.

Instead of getting straight at a United we all knew would sit back and wait for their chance, we pushed the ball languidly around the midfield with a frightening casualness and lack of concentration. Those traits meant that within 11 minutes, we were 2-0 down from Manchester United's only two ventures into our half. Possession is everything, until you lose it - with Arsenal we lose it because we give it away.

At 2-0 down I still believed we could win this, so did the players no doubt because from then on it was Arsenal all the way. On any other day we would have come away at worst with a point, more likely the win but what Arsenal players seem to forget - unlike supporters - fate often conspires against you and yesterday, thats what it did.

Not only were we thwarted by a ten man defence and a keeper in inspired form, it was arms and legs and heads and torso's and posts and crossbars and even ourselves - fate decided that game wasn't going to go our way no matter how hard we tried.

The stats show that rarely if ever would you find a team lose with such impressive figures:

Arsenal - 75% possession - 12 corners - 33 shots - 2 keeper saves
United - 25% possession - 1 corner - 8 shots - 14 keeper saves

Like I've always said, the best stats in the world mean fuck all if you don't win.

We can blame our defence for the errors which led to the goals but I can't fault our effort and determination trying to rectify the situation, again it must be very rare to say your team played brilliantly for 80 minutes but lost a game 1-3.

Once again, Arsenal now have to settle for a challenge on top four and not the title, it's no wonder our supporters get so irate. :shake head:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:48 am

I've yet to see a highlights show, so match reports will have to wait maybe until today's games are over.

What I will do though, because so much happened in our game, is go through some of the more noteworthy events because to give a blow by blow account would take 5 pages.

United's goals were well taken opportunist efforts made after errors from Arsenal's midfield and defence, thats pretty much all you can say about them. Arsenal's goal was a well worked out and finely executed move, catching United's defence completely out, Lacazette from a lovely Ramsey flick down.

Danny Welbeck was fouled in the box by Darmian late in the game, which the ref waved away. Replays showed it should have been given but even if it had, I doubt it would have made any difference at that stage.

The other big moment came when Paul Pogba was sent off for a dreadful stamp on Hector Bellerin's calf just where it meets the knee. It couldn't be argued against though they tried, in my book it's a three match minimum ban.

The problem with that was, far from being a benefit to Arsenal it came within 15 minutes of the end. Play against ten men with a good slice of the game to go, it's no doubt a help - having it come with 15 minutes to go and already losing, it's more often a hinderance because all the opposition do is pack out and stay in the 18 yard box with the remainder of their team, making it almost impossible to break through.

All that said, it must have been a great game to watch from a neutral point of view, for me it was excruiciatingly painful and at the end of the day I would have liked to have caned our team for something substantial, the fact is I can't on this occasion as they were often brilliant in large lumps and suffered some serious spells of bad luck.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby wutang » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:12 am

Dean wrote:Great draw for England, shouldn’t have any trouble getting through that group. We would play the teams from Poland’s group should we progress, so it looks promising...

You would think so but then look at what happened in 2010

USA, Algeria, Slovenia

1-1
0-0
1-0

Inspiring :pmsl:
wutang

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:11 am

I'm afraid I find it very difficult to drum up any enthusiasm about the English national team and certainly the world cup.

Gareth Southgate inspires about as much confidence in me as I would have eating my Sunday roast with a pencil.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Trapper John » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:17 am

Do I need to mention that the main beneficiary of Paul Pogba's sending off yesterday will be Manchester City. :whistle:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Vicky » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:26 am

Some on here were talking double figures.

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:33 am

Man City are just too good for the other teams in the EPL.

What about Nacho Monreal's handball against the Gunners?

Plus all the other dodgy decisions Arsenal have been given?

Do not reply..

My team are playing today and i don't want to hear a load of paranoid shite from someone, who thinks football ends at Carlisle.

:dafinger:
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:34 am

It's like posting with the great unwashed, they're all paranoid as well.

Vicky

Postby Sunny » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:34 am

Trapper John wrote:I
Once again, Arsenal now have to settle for a challenge on top four and not the title, it's no wonder our supporters get so irate. :shake head:

Did you honestly think up until yesterday you were going to win the title??? And you call spurs fans delusional....out of the top 4 you go.... let alone win the title c'mon get a grip TJ! :gigglesnshit:

Serves you right, rushed to have a dig at spurs a few days ago and was all cocky.....well suck it up now... :snooty:

P.s Karma is a bitch!
Sunny

Location: White Hart Lane.. Champions league winners. 2018/2019

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive