DS and DTV - Part 86

Big Threads

Re: DS and DTV - Part 85

Postby Odessa Steps » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:33 pm

wizzywick wrote:
Odessa Steps wrote:
wizzywick wrote:
Yes I did, it must have been your youthful style of posting. I now realise you are actually a left wing soothsayer living in a magic shack in the middle of an enchanted forest.

Indeed... and from my crystal ball i can see you are a grumpy old geezer who works for a child hating Eastern European principality who catches your prey in big nets and disguises his cage and horses as an ice cream salesman.

Close! But no coconut.

It's not a principality?
Odessa Steps

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:36 pm

wizzywick wrote:
Guest wrote:Wizzywick do you feel liberated now you away from digital spy forums? It can become all consuming.
But do you think you are at risk of replacing Digital spys all consumingness with that of other forums?

Just wanted to also say that I know some admirable young people heavily involved in the Duke of Edinburgh awards scheme and some who charity fundraise and check on elderly neighbours. So less generalisation please.

I have already said I was wrong to generalise. Did you miss that post? As for your first point, yes, and the second part of your first point, no.

Why is posting a lot on digital spy all consuming but posting a lot on a variety of other forums isn't?

Postby Odessa Steps » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:37 pm

wizzywick wrote:
In my view though, I think we will, as a society, start alienating and causing frictions unintentionally by continuing to fight for the equalities that are, by law, already there. .

Society will never be truly equal until we don't need law to make it so.
Odessa Steps

Postby wizzywick » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:47 pm

You cannot claim to be for equality whilst ignoring the inequality shown to some sections of society. Gay men and women still suffer prejudice. Black and Asian people are still racially abused (on the flip side to that is the need to acknowledge the misogyny in the Asian community, and also the treatment of disadvantaged white girls).

There are still issues and whilst those issues exist there’s something to fight for. We cannot just accept that some people are racist cunts, if we accept them we allow them, and we should never allow anyone to be abused for whatever reason.

Yes, I do not disagree with you, but you are being a bit naive. Not in a nasty way. I meant that as a compliment because you nothing but well intentioned. But how are you going to eradicate racism? How are you going to create a world without bigotry? You have seen these past few years how an agenda to push away those whose views are deemed unacceptable by some are leading to surges of populist movements and leaders, like Farage, like Trump.

I think what you want is what we all want, but we have to be careful as a society to avoid going too far, because you end up with Trump or Boris Johnson. If someone is a racist cunt, call them a racist cunt. But it might be worthy to hear their reasoning first because that way we get an understanding of why different people think different things. But, on the flip side, by being intolerant of anothers viewpoint is a form of intolerance is it not? And yes, there are many issues that need addressing and many issues where equality needs to have a level playing field. But it isn't going to be sorted quickly. So much change has occurred for the good over the past 30 or 40 years. But it occurred slowly and progressively as people became more educated and given a greater understanding of things. In another 20 years things will be even more greatly improved. But we have to be careful not to light a fuse and piss the majority off because by doing that it could put equality back a whole decade, and no one wants that to happen.
wizzywick

Postby wizzywick » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:47 pm

And with that post, I'm off. Thanks for the company and debate.
wizzywick

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:54 pm

Odessa Steps wrote:
wizzywick wrote:
Odessa Steps wrote:
wizzywick wrote:
Happy Mothers Day wrote:I'm with the young people, a generation with huge potential, just not with the hypocritical fuckwit hive mind on DS politics.

OK, you have inspired me to see things from a different perspective. There are many young people who the twats I describe and most of them dwell on DS. But then there are the great many young people who want to focus on their future and do well by themselves and for their families. I was wrong to generalise.

Hmmm... when you joined up here you still thought I was 20 year old student... just saying.

Yes I did, it must have been your youthful style of posting. I now realise you are actually a left wing soothsayer living in a magic shack in the middle of an enchanted forest.

Indeed... and from my crystal ball i can see you are a grumpy old geezer who works for a child hating Eastern European principality who catches your prey in big nets and disguises his cage and horses as an ice cream salesman.

And I can see a man in his late 30s who still lives at home and has his mum do his washing and cooking while he pretends to be someone important on the internet....

Postby Odessa Steps » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:54 pm

wizzywick wrote: But, on the flip side, by being intolerant of anothers viewpoint is a form of intolerance is it not? .

If someone's view is an intolerant one, homophobia, racism and all the other bigotries out there it is not intolerance to stand up to it... there is no equating the two stances.
Odessa Steps

Postby NastyNickers » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:20 pm

wizzywick wrote:
You cannot claim to be for equality whilst ignoring the inequality shown to some sections of society. Gay men and women still suffer prejudice. Black and Asian people are still racially abused (on the flip side to that is the need to acknowledge the misogyny in the Asian community, and also the treatment of disadvantaged white girls).

There are still issues and whilst those issues exist there’s something to fight for. We cannot just accept that some people are racist cunts, if we accept them we allow them, and we should never allow anyone to be abused for whatever reason.

Yes, I do not disagree with you, but you are being a bit naive. Not in a nasty way. I meant that as a compliment because you nothing but well intentioned. But how are you going to eradicate racism? How are you going to create a world without bigotry? You have seen these past few years how an agenda to push away those whose views are deemed unacceptable by some are leading to surges of populist movements and leaders, like Farage, like Trump.

I think what you want is what we all want, but we have to be careful as a society to avoid going too far, because you end up with Trump or Boris Johnson. If someone is a racist cunt, call them a racist cunt. But it might be worthy to hear their reasoning first because that way we get an understanding of why different people think different things. But, on the flip side, by being intolerant of anothers viewpoint is a form of intolerance is it not? And yes, there are many issues that need addressing and many issues where equality needs to have a level playing field. But it isn't going to be sorted quickly. So much change has occurred for the good over the past 30 or 40 years. But it occurred slowly and progressively as people became more educated and given a greater understanding of things. In another 20 years things will be even more greatly improved. But we have to be careful not to light a fuse and piss the majority off because by doing that it could put equality back a whole decade, and no one wants that to happen.

I don’t think we can create a world without bigatory or racism. But I’d rather live in a place where they aren’t tolerated. Why should we tolerate something that is harmful? I’m not suggesting we burn all the racists and bigots at the stake, but I also don’t believe we should allow them to spread their hate to show how tolerant and great we are.

I don’t think that change is going to be quick, either. In fact, I think the majority of the great leaps have already been done. Women getting the vote, the end of slavery, equal rights, being gay not being illegal, gay marriage. The rest is mostly little and it’s about changing attitudes over generations.
NastyNickers

Postby Text » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Nice Guesty wrote:
jra wrote:
Guest wrote:Puzz has much more going for him than jra. I don't want Puzz to end up an old man living in shared accommodation, no car, single, having to pay for sex and become paranoid.

Been ages since I posted in this thread but that post really caught my eye.
You don't really need a car in London, unless the circs are exceptional.
Got many relatives living there and they're all thinking of giving up their motors as the traffic is a nightmare.
Public transport in the capital city is readily available and relatively cheap with their oyster cards & whatnots.
Last edited by Text on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Text

Postby wizzywick » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:28 pm

NastyNickers wrote:
wizzywick wrote:

I don’t think we can create a world without bigatory or racism. But I’d rather live in a place where they aren’t tolerated. Why should we tolerate something that is harmful? I’m not suggesting we burn all the racists and bigots at the stake, but I also don’t believe we should allow them to spread their hate to show how tolerant and great we are.

I don’t think that change is going to be quick, either. In fact, I think the majority of the great leaps have already been done. Women getting the vote, the end of slavery, equal rights, being gay not being illegal, gay marriage. The rest is mostly little and it’s about changing attitudes over generations.

Thank you for responding to my posts in such an eloquent manner. I really enjoyed debating with you. I don't disagree with you at all, but perhaps we just have slightly different ways of addressing it. Maybe it's my slightly older mindset! Who knows. Anyway, maybe if you're up for it, we could continue the debate on the Current Affiars/News section as I genuinely do find your thoughts insightful. But for today, I'm off to watch a bit telly.
wizzywick

Postby wizzywick » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Odessa Steps wrote:
wizzywick wrote: But, on the flip side, by being intolerant of anothers viewpoint is a form of intolerance is it not? .

If someone's view is an intolerant one, homophobia, racism and all the other bigotries out there it is not intolerance to stand up to it... there is no equating the two stances.

Yes, you're not wrong, but you slightly miss my point. It is intolerant not to tolerate a person for having a views. But you do not have to tolerate the views held. That's what I meant.
wizzywick

Postby Goodwife » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Guest wrote:eyebrow why have you got your tongue so firmly up Wizzy's arse now Odie? have you sold out on your morals because you're worried the mass alerting they are doing on DS might result in your account being banned?

There is a truce in place guesty
Goodwife

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:31 pm

Guest wrote:eyebrow why have you got your tongue so firmly up Wizzy's arse now Odie? have you sold out on your morals because you're worried the mass alerting they are doing on DS might result in your account being banned?

Sadly it seems so.

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:45 pm

Guest wrote:

Sadly it seems so.

"Sold out on your morals" :hap: :flog:
Such ruffled feathers but don't worry it won't stop YOU posting abysmal shit here or on DS. This is just crap chat and fun online for most.

Postby Odessa Steps » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:56 pm

It's not likely nah... go report me if you have 5 mins... it's your big chance!!!! Try to get me banned on the back of this.... I dare you :dafinger:

But... I'll just point out

1/ Not shouting at a banned DS member for one Sunday afternoon will have no positive effect at DS whatsoever.
2/ I've not been involved in any mass alerting. There are no PMs, no pattern of alerting as evidence... nothing at all... so my conscience is clear.
3/ I do have a stack of evidence of being the victim of mass alerting...

I'd say I'm pretty safe thanks :smilin:

Oh... and you're a cunt fuckface.
Last edited by Odessa Steps on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Odessa Steps

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive