Brexit Satire

Big Threads

Re: Brexit Satire

Postby jra » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:50 am

LordRaven wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
jra wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
Cannydc wrote:Actually, Berlin Wall isn't such a bad analogy - the purpose would be to completely shut down all those little 'crossing points' that could never be guarded 24/7, in order to minimise smuggling, illegal immigration, crime etc. How you do that without a border wall, guards (yes, armed - watch the terror attacks begin again as promised) and watchtowers, searchlights and dogs ? Only thing missing is mines, really.

No thanks, that was just plain crazy and we do not want a return to that cross border insanity.

While we're at it, we might as well rebuild Hadrian's Wall if Scotland goes independent.

You'll need at least a couple of holes throught it for the WCML and ECML trains. Maybe that can be done with a set of automatic gates. :roll:

Trains ran between East and West Berlin. I know, I travelled on them. And yes, if Scotland goes indi, we will need a hard border there too to keep out the usual suspects. Isn't Brexit a breeze ?

Total and utter madness, why oh why did people not be made aware of the the likely problems Brexit would bring.

Not all people are stupid. I didn't need to be told about the border implications of Brexit say between NI/ROI and England/Scotland (if going independent. I knew from day one. As the ROI hasn't signed the Schengen Agreement (both the UK and ROI have opt out), we don't need border controls between NI/ROI even if the UK leaves the EU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_ ... pation.svg
jra

Postby McAz » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:51 am

Without a customs union there needs to be a border.
McAz

Postby jra » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:52 am

McAz wrote:
There was certainly a military train between East and West - and Canny was in the military.

Not the same as a normal passenger train.
jra

Postby McAz » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:53 am

jra wrote:
McAz wrote:
There was certainly a military train between East and West - and Canny was in the military.

So what - still a train. Besides, Canny has said there were others.
McAz

Postby jra » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:55 am

McAz wrote:Without a customs union there needs to be a border.

The UK and the ROI already have special arrangements when it comes to travel.
jra

Postby LordRaven » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:56 am

Cannydc wrote:There are 1,000 Russian WW2 troops buried under each grave.

Soviet or solely Russians?

That aside it must have been fascinating to visit East Berlin, I never had the opportunity myself and the only place I lived in Germany was Munster, whilst travelling around the country a lot for differing reasons.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby McAz » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:57 am

jra wrote:

So what? :scratch:
McAz

Postby LordRaven » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:57 am

jra wrote:

Which is why ROI are not in Schengen agreement
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby jra » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:18 pm

McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:

I stand corrected, but they were very strictly controlled. Not exactly freedom of movement.

As far as I can tell the overground lines were closed, but some underground lines were still open, but gate controlled and heavily guarded.
jra

Postby McAz » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:19 pm

jra wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:

I stand corrected, but they were very strictly controlled. Not exactly freedom of movement.

As far as I can tell the overground lines were closed, but some underground lines were still open, but gate controlled and heavily guarded.

I didn't know that. Thanks.
McAz

Postby LordRaven » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:44 pm

jra wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:

It's probably best we ask Canny as he has hands on knowledge having ridden on the trains that crossed east/west.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Cannydc » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:45 pm

jra wrote:
McAz wrote:

They certainly WERE normal passenger trains - they stopped at the border and were searched (dogs) while docs were checked. Then, into the West...

Check out the map of Berlin u bahn, subway, tube or underground, a transit system serving the city of Berlin (Germany) with urban, suburban & commuter trains. Note, this was in use prior to German unification, many stations were in East Berlin, and there were designated E - W crossing points.

https://berlinmap360.com/berlin-metro-map#.W9xF9dX7TIU
Cannydc

Postby Cannydc » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:51 pm

LordRaven wrote:

That aside it must have been fascinating to visit East Berlin, I never had the opportunity myself and the only place I lived in Germany was Munster, whilst travelling around the country a lot for differing reasons.

Soviets, I think.

I was on my Cpl's Course at RAF Gatow. A brilliant week, and the nights out were legendary.

I took film exactly like this at the German War Memorial, sadly it's on Super 8 film...

Cannydc

Postby LordRaven » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:51 pm

Cannydc wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:

They certainly WERE normal passenger trains - they stopped at the border and were searched (dogs) while docs were checked. Then, into the West...

Check out the map of Berlin u bahn, subway, tube or underground, a transit system serving the city of Berlin (Germany) with urban, suburban & commuter trains. Note, this was in use prior to German unification, many stations were in East Berlin, and there were designated E - W crossing points.

https://berlinmap360.com/berlin-metro-map#.W9xF9dX7TIU

Henry Beck style.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby LordRaven » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:00 pm

Cannydc wrote:
LordRaven wrote:

Soviets, I think.

I was on my Cpl's Course at RAF Gatow. A brilliant week, and the nights out were legendary.

I took film exactly like this at the German War Memorial, sadly it's on Super 8 film...

I am envious, I do wish I had had the opportunity to visit divided Berlin during the cold war, it must have been some experience.

I would have loved to see changing Guard at Spandau and the Soviet War Memorials and cemeteries too, plus check out nightlife both sides of the wall.

In the video they seem to be using the earlier SKS rifle rather than the AK47, and I am presuming it is because it lends itself much better to drill given the 30 round banana mag of the latter would not allow the same rifle drills.

Excuse my interest but being ex Guards drill was a very big thing.
LordRaven
Twat.

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive