Random Stuff # 30

Big Threads

Re: Random Stuff # 30

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:29 pm

George wrote:My little pup has arrived, he had 3 days being transported across Europe. It was a bit too much for him, he was petrified and shaken and very thin, spent the first few days hiding and running away from us but he is coming round and being the playful pup that he should be. Mind you it’s like having a new baby as he does keep us up at night. He is so cute

Congratulations, he's a beauty :wubwub:

Our pup kept us up at night to start with, but it does get less and less. Nowadays he's more likely to only wake us up if he's jumping up onto the bed to cuddle up. :wubwub:

Postby guest » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:49 pm

George wrote:My little pup has arrived, he had 3 days being transported across Europe. It was a bit too much for him, he was petrified and shaken and very thin, spent the first few days hiding and running away from us but he is coming round and being the playful pup that he should be. Mind you it’s like having a new baby as he does keep us up at night. He is so cute

Oh what a beautiful little pup!

Can I ask what's the story behind him coming over here?

Postby George » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:57 pm

guest wrote:

Oh what a beautiful little pup!

Can I ask what's the story behind him coming over here?

I was looking for a rescue dog and I saw another one I liked but on checking he had already gone. It was only then that I realised that the charity worked with a charities in Romania to rescue street dogs or abandoned pups. They then drive them from Romania dropping them of on the way throughout Europe and the UK. They are chipped and immunisations up to date. They also neuter the older dogs but my one is too young at 4 months.
George

Postby Stooo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:12 pm

Guest wrote:

That's the Belkits Manta, yes?
Hobbycraft's your best bet if you have one locally, Stooo.
I'd suggest using Tamiya paints because they're the best as far as quality goes - easy to apply and usually accurate.
Humbrol are inconsistent in quality - the paint often has a bad habit of separating from the carrier and doesn't always adhere well.
Revell have an annoying tendency to tell you to mix 3 or 4 different colours to make the one you want, which is a bit of a rip-off as they often carry the paint you want, it's just under a different name. (they also require a lot thinning before use)

For glues I'd go for this for general assembly

And for more precise areas this

Both are available in Hobbycraft.
Tube glue is best avoided because it tends to string and smear the parts, especially the clear ones (voice of experience speaking here :brickwall: )

Here's an in-the-box review

phpBB [video]

Hope that helps and isn't a case of teaching your granny to sook eggs. :cuppaT:

Cheers! :more beer:

There's a local hobby shop that does trad games, I'm going to hit them up for supplies :thumbsup:

I've got a big photo of my Manta on a SS back in the day and I'm going to try to replicate it. I was dead glad to find that there was an option for oblong headlights as well as a grill rather than the light pod, I need to move the front blinkers to under the bumper though.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Red Okktober » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:19 pm

Stooo wrote:
Guest wrote:

I'd suggest using Tamiya paints because they're the best as far as quality goes - easy to apply and usually accurate.
Humbrol are inconsistent in quality - the paint often has a bad habit of separating from the carrier and doesn't always adhere well.
Revell have an annoying tendency to tell you to mix 3 or 4 different colours to make the one you want, which is a bit of a rip-off as they often carry the paint you want, it's just under a different name. (they also require a lot thinning before use)

Tube glue is best avoided because it tends to string and smear the parts, especially the clear ones (voice of experience speaking here :brickwall: )

phpBB [video]

There's a local hobby shop that does trad games, I'm going to hit them up for supplies :thumbsup:

I've got a big photo of my Manta on a SS back in the day and I'm going to try to replicate it. I was dead glad to find that there was an option for oblong headlights as well as a grill rather than the light pod, I need to move the front blinkers to under the bumper though.

Stooo, did you ever do the horror character Airfix kits? They used to come with little glass phials of paint - you were supposed to paint the parts first before assembling, but we were too impatient and did it the other way around. Frankenstein, Wolfman, Dracula etc.

The car in the video above looks tiny compared to the box it comes in. Look at 11.30
Red Okktober

Postby Stooo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:35 pm

Red Okktober wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Guest wrote:

phpBB [video]

Stooo, did you ever do the horror character Airfix kits? They used to come with little glass phials of paint - you were supposed to paint the parts first before assembling, but we were too impatient and did it the other way around. Frankenstein, Wolfman, Dracula etc.

The car in the video above looks tiny compared to the box it comes in. Look at 11.30

I didn't, it was mainly aircraft for me but some of my mates were well into monsters; didn't some of them have glowing paint?

Yeah. I'm going to have to cram a lot of detail into it. Dead happy that I can make it RHD :thumbsup:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Red Okktober » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:00 pm

Stooo wrote:I didn't, it was mainly aircraft for me but some of my mates were well into monsters; didn't some of them have glowing paint?

Yeah. I'm going to have to cram a lot of detail into it. Dead happy that I can make it RHD :thumbsup:

I can't recall glowing paint for the Airfix models - They were mainly dark colours apart from some vivid reds and purples for the cape linings.

The only glowing monsters I can remember were the toys you used to get free in cereal packets.
Red Okktober

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:00 pm

Last of our wedding presents arrived this afternoon, gorgeous paintings, now to decide where to hang them :wubbers:

Postby Stooo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:20 pm

Red Okktober wrote:
Stooo wrote:I didn't, it was mainly aircraft for me but some of my mates were well into monsters; didn't some of them have glowing paint?

I can't recall glowing paint for the Airfix models - They were mainly dark colours apart from some vivid reds and purples for the cape linings.

The only glowing monsters I can remember were the toys you used to get free in cereal packets.

I looked it up, some of them had radiation baked into the plastic to make them glow.

I suffered a lot from the night terrors as a kid, monsters in the bedroom wouldn't have helped.... :shame:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:47 pm

Red Okktober wrote:

I can't remember Airfix doing Horror characters, at least not their own moulds. Are you maybe thinking of Aurora's "Glow in the Dark" kits from the late 60s and early 70s?

https://aminoapps.com/c/horror/page/blo ... YWB57VV0go

http://collectingclassicmonsters.com/ca ... odel-kits/

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aurora- ... r--1116842

Airfix did make a range of Historical Figures in 1/12 scale like this, but they're long out of production and worth a few bob if you have an unbuilt kit. They just used standard Airfix enamels, no glowing or fluorescent paint.

http://www.vintage-airfix.com/figures/1 ... 64_68.html

If you're interested in the development of kits I really recommend this site. which gives the production history of a kit - it's particularly useful for checking if something advertised as NEW actually is, or if it's really some 50 year old mould in a different box, from a different manufacturer. It's amazing just how many old kits are repackaged like that. :shake head: It's an easy site to find yourself engrossed in. :smilin:
https://www.scalemates.com/

Postby Red Okktober » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:00 pm

Guest wrote:I can't remember Airfix doing Horror characters, at least not their own moulds. Are you maybe thinking of Aurora's "Glow in the Dark" kits from the late 60s and early 70s?

https://aminoapps.com/c/horror/page/blo ... YWB57VV0go

http://collectingclassicmonsters.com/ca ... odel-kits/

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aurora- ... r--1116842

Airfix did make a range of Historical Figures in 1/12 scale like this, but they're long out of production and worth a few bob if you have an unbuilt kit. They just used standard Airfix enamels, no glowing or fluorescent paint.

http://www.vintage-airfix.com/figures/1 ... 64_68.html

If you're interested in the development of kits I really recommend this site. which gives the production history of a kit - it's particularly useful for checking if something advertised as NEW actually is, or if it's really some 50 year old mould in a different box, from a different manufacturer. It's amazing just how many old kits are repackaged like that. :shake head: It's an easy site to find yourself engrossed in. :smilin:
https://www.scalemates.com/

You could well be right guest - I'm probably using Aiirfix as a generic term for model kits. Although I still can't recall any of them glowing in the dark though.
Red Okktober

Postby Bessie » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:38 pm

I love his little spotty belly! What's his name?
Bessie

Postby Gabby » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:39 pm

My brother had some airfix models.... I pulled the wings off when he pulled my dolls legs off.... happy days! :laughing:
Gabby

Postby Gabby » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:43 pm

Beautiful :wubbers:.... lucky pup! :thumbsup:
Gabby

Postby Red Okktober » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:57 pm

Gabby wrote:My brother had some airfix models.... I pulled the wings off when he pulled my dolls legs off.... happy days! :laughing:

Seems like a fair trade!
Red Okktober

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive