Windows 10

UFOs, new tech, it all goes in here. Have you tried switching it off and back on ?

Re: Windows 10

Postby rollup » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:43 am

The only thing I use Windows for is to run Acid pro 6.
I think I'll disconnect it from the line cos 10 probably won't run it.
https://www.reverbnation.com/jackbackband
https://soundcloud.com/jacksbackband
User avatar
rollup
 
Posts: 16661
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:14 pm
Location: Wales and 49.0000° N, 6.0000° E

Re: Windows 10

Postby Si_Crewe » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:19 pm

Can't say I'm that fussed TBH.

Colour me shallow but I only tend to update my OS either when some must-have app' appears for it or when I get bored of my current OS.
Currently using W8.1 x64 with Classic Shell and I'm quite content with it.

Gotta say, I've still got a couple of laptops which originally came with XP installed and, barring a hiccup with Vista, they've all run just as well under each new MS OS which suggests MS have been making an effort to optimise their code so it's nice to hear that W10 is supposed to be even quicker than W8.
I'm sure I'll update eventually but I'm happy at the moment and, given that my main PC is a self-built one, it probably won't hurt to leave it for a few months so that outfits like Asus and nVidia can sort out all their W10 drivers for the bits in my PC.

Kind of interesting the way MS are pushing the whole "free upgrade" thing.
I guess they realised that they created something of a monster with XP and had people continue to be happy with it for over a decade so they're trying to find ways to avoid that happening again.
User avatar
Si_Crewe
 
Posts: 4499
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Windows 10

Postby Stooo » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:37 pm

Si_Crewe wrote:Can't say I'm that fussed TBH.

Colour me shallow but I only tend to update my OS either when some must-have app' appears for it or when I get bored of my current OS.
Currently using W8.1 x64 with Classic Shell and I'm quite content with it.

Gotta say, I've still got a couple of laptops which originally came with XP installed and, barring a hiccup with Vista, they've all run just as well under each new MS OS which suggests MS have been making an effort to optimise their code so it's nice to hear that W10 is supposed to be even quicker than W8.
I'm sure I'll update eventually but I'm happy at the moment and, given that my main PC is a self-built one, it probably won't hurt to leave it for a few months so that outfits like Asus and nVidia can sort out all their W10 drivers for the bits in my PC.

Kind of interesting the way MS are pushing the whole "free upgrade" thing.
I guess they realised that they created something of a monster with XP and had people continue to be happy with it for over a decade so they're trying to find ways to avoid that happening again.


I dunno, 99% of MS's income is from enterprise. By simply issuing compulsory service packs and upgrades for free to home consumers it ensures that the software is familiar to the same people who go to work and use the same stuff (that's been paid for) without retraining and bollocks like that. When PCs break (usually within the ten year service limit of the software) the customer upgrades to the latest Dell or HP which will have the goodies to last for the next projected six years or so. As I've said before, touch, and verbal input are here to stay, dial in what ever Hololens brings to the market and it all looks quite exciting.

Sadly home built battle stations are an increasingly shrinking market, one day they will be considered the equivalent of the train spotting community.
User avatar
Stooo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 75854
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: Eveywhere, like shit in a field.

Re: Windows 10

Postby Si_Crewe » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:43 pm

Stooo wrote:I dunno, 99% of MS's income is from enterprise. By simply issuing compulsory service packs and upgrades for free to home consumers it ensures that the software is familiar to the same people who go to work and use the same stuff (that's been paid for) without retraining and bollocks like that. When PCs break (usually within the ten year service limit of the software) the customer upgrades to the latest Dell or HP which will have the goodies to last for the next projected six years or so. As I've said before, touch, and verbal input are here to stay, dial in what ever Hololens brings to the market and it all looks quite exciting.


True enough.

I always kinda got the feeling that MS's main motivation for W10 was to create a platform capable of incorporating a bunch of new stuff that W7 and W8 couldn't handle.
With that mindset, I guess you can see why they'd be willing to give away W10 for free because, in the long-run, it gets everybody onto the "same page".

I bet that the people at MS (and everywhere else) are secretly rather jealous of the way Apple usually manages to persuade/force it's user-base to upgrade to the latest OS and, thus, means they only have a small variety of things to support at any given time.
Compared to that, it must be a right PITA for MS to have to keep supporting up to half a dozen OS's at any given time.

Kinda funny; one of the main features of W10 seems to be the incorporation of Cortana.
Was listening to a techie podcast the other day where some guy was saying his kids are quite happy to wrestle with Siri or OK Google for 5 minutes, using voice commands, to get something done rather than just typing something into google or manually setting an alarm on their phone etc.

Seems like voice commands are still a bit of a novelty at the moment (albeit, a quite impressive one) but the only way this stuff gains traction is through use.
In another few years, we'll probably all be routinely using voice-activated satnavs and asking our cars how much fuel we have left and to find us a suitable petrol station and plot a route to it etc.
User avatar
Si_Crewe
 
Posts: 4499
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Windows 10

Postby Si_Crewe » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:02 pm

Whoops. Too late to edit....

Meant to say, as well, I'm really put off W10, at the moment, by the idea of installing it "over the top" of W7 or W8.

Half the joy of a new OS is formatting your HDD, getting rid of all the shite and getting that warm-fuzzy feeling from a PC that boots up in about 20 seconds because there's no junk on it.

No idea if there's an OEM version of W10 available yet but I won't be installing W10 until there's a method of doing a fully clean install of it.
User avatar
Si_Crewe
 
Posts: 4499
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Windows 10

Postby Stooo » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:12 pm

Si_Crewe wrote:
Stooo wrote:I dunno, 99% of MS's income is from enterprise. By simply issuing compulsory service packs and upgrades for free to home consumers it ensures that the software is familiar to the same people who go to work and use the same stuff (that's been paid for) without retraining and bollocks like that. When PCs break (usually within the ten year service limit of the software) the customer upgrades to the latest Dell or HP which will have the goodies to last for the next projected six years or so. As I've said before, touch, and verbal input are here to stay, dial in what ever Hololens brings to the market and it all looks quite exciting.


True enough.

I always kinda got the feeling that MS's main motivation for W10 was to create a platform capable of incorporating a bunch of new stuff that W7 and W8 couldn't handle.
With that mindset, I guess you can see why they'd be willing to give away W10 for free because, in the long-run, it gets everybody onto the "same page".

I bet that the people at MS (and everywhere else) are secretly rather jealous of the way Apple usually manages to persuade/force it's user-base to upgrade to the latest OS and, thus, means they only have a small variety of things to support at any given time.
Compared to that, it must be a right PITA for MS to have to keep supporting up to half a dozen OS's at any given time.

Kinda funny; one of the main features of W10 seems to be the incorporation of Cortana.
Was listening to a techie podcast the other day where some guy was saying his kids are quite happy to wrestle with Siri or OK Google for 5 minutes, using voice commands, to get something done rather than just typing something into google or manually setting an alarm on their phone etc.

Seems like voice commands are still a bit of a novelty at the moment (albeit, a quite impressive one) but the only way this stuff gains traction is through use.
In another few years, we'll probably all be routinely using voice-activated satnavs and asking our cars how much fuel we have left and to find us a suitable petrol station and plot a route to it etc.


It's a similar issue to the launch of Vista. I bought a laptop with Vista pre installed and with a gig of RAM installed along with signed drivers, no issues at all because the OS was compatible with the hardware (it now runs as a home print and media server), the bullshit about Vista started when OEMs installed it on unsuitable hardware and it understandably worked like shit. The difference is that >7 software is able to be tactile, just like your smartphone. Press a key on your on screen keyboard and you get a tactile response back.

I use an Android phone at the moment but used W8 on a Nokia a while ago and was not disappointed. I'd happily use it on this phone (there is a ROM) but I haven't got the time to waste.
User avatar
Stooo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 75854
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: Eveywhere, like shit in a field.

Re: Windows 10

Postby Stooo » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:14 pm

Si_Crewe wrote:Whoops. Too late to edit....

Meant to say, as well, I'm really put off W10, at the moment, by the idea of installing it "over the top" of W7 or W8.

Half the joy of a new OS is formatting your HDD, getting rid of all the shite and getting that warm-fuzzy feeling from a PC that boots up in about 20 seconds because there's no junk on it.

No idea if there's an OEM version of W10 available yet but I won't be installing W10 until there's a method of doing a fully clean install of it.


No bloatware, it's a vanilla install for me :dunno:
User avatar
Stooo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 75854
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: Eveywhere, like shit in a field.

Re: Windows 10

Postby Si_Crewe » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:06 pm

Stooo wrote:No bloatware, it's a vanilla install for me :dunno:


It's not really "bloatware" that's the problem.

For me, it's just all the shit that I've installed myself, all the redundant junk I've downloaded, superceded documents and files and the shambles that the registry and Appdata folders probably are under the surface.
Doing a clean install of an OS onto a newly-formatted HDD is a great opportunity to get rid of all the crap.
Not keen on installing W10 over the top of another OS in case it doesn't clean it all up (the registry in particular) properly.

On a more quantifiable level, I've also found that you can sometimes have the driver for something carry on working after an OS update but then, if you do a clean install, it doesn't work.
I'd rather know that all the drivers on a system are MEANT to work with a given OS, out of the gate, rather than being intended to work with a previous OS but continue to scrape along in some legacy manner.

Kinda reminds me, though...
I only decided to upgrade to W8 after a neighbour brought me her new W8 laptop so I could help her make sense of it.
It was a Toshiba and there was a heap of strange shit on it (on the Metro screen, in particular).
When I got a W8 OEM disk, installed it and discovered what a clean version of W8 should look like, I actually felt kinda guilty for leaving all that extra, confusing, shit (which Toshiba obviously decided to bundle) on her laptop.
User avatar
Si_Crewe
 
Posts: 4499
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Windows 10

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:31 am

jus go add/remove and uninstall all the 3rd party software
removing MacAfee is a total must do
:thumbsup:
User avatar
Big Fat Frosty
 
Posts: 15407
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Windows 10

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:06 pm

just updated win 7 to win 10 and its just fantastic so far
fingers crossed
its kinda the best of 7 and 8 together
but deffo much faster than 7
I was worried about only 2 gb ram but its great
like the full screen start menue option too
:thumbsup:
User avatar
Big Fat Frosty
 
Posts: 15407
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Windows 10

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:49 pm

wow
when it was setting up amd vidcard asked to change settings
that never seemed to make any difference to games
when I tried them
fucking does now
the golf is so crisp and clear
wonder if its the updated directplay
might update the win 8 downstairs later
last day today to get it free...
17 hours or so
id say go for it
:thumbsup:
User avatar
Big Fat Frosty
 
Posts: 15407
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Windows 10

Postby Stooo » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:01 pm

Big Fat Frosty wrote:wow
when it was setting up amd vidcard asked to change settings
that never seemed to make any difference to games
when I tried them
fucking does now
the golf is so crisp and clear
wonder if its the updated directplay
might update the win 8 downstairs later
last day today to get it free...
17 hours or so
id say go for it
:thumbsup:


Told ya :wink:
User avatar
Stooo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 75854
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: Eveywhere, like shit in a field.

Re: Windows 10

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:08 pm

Stooo wrote:
Big Fat Frosty wrote:wow
when it was setting up amd vidcard asked to change settings
that never seemed to make any difference to games
when I tried them
fucking does now
the golf is so crisp and clear
wonder if its the updated directplay
might update the win 8 downstairs later
last day today to get it free...
17 hours or so
id say go for it
:thumbsup:


Told ya :wink:

:awesome:
Image
User avatar
Big Fat Frosty
 
Posts: 15407
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Windows 10

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:36 am

spoke too soon
this morning when I tried to read the papers
IE and edge were both crashing
mirror mail argos b n q all media rich sites crash them
when I looked at resources
win 10 was using 1.83 gb of my 2 gb ram
compared win 7 uses .99 gb
so I uninstalled it
which happily was very painless
:cuppaT:
User avatar
Big Fat Frosty
 
Posts: 15407
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Windows 10

Postby Stooo » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:42 pm

Big Fat Frosty wrote:spoke too soon
this morning when I tried to read the papers
IE and edge were both crashing
mirror mail argos b n q all media rich sites crash them
when I looked at resources
win 10 was using 1.83 gb of my 2 gb ram
compared win 7 uses .99 gb
so I uninstalled it
which happily was very painless
:cuppaT:


I've got three gb of RAM on my bloody phone, buy some more you tight twat. I rarely use Edge and stick to browsers that I can mess around with until they work how I want them to.
User avatar
Stooo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 75854
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: Eveywhere, like shit in a field.

PreviousNext

Return to Science And Technology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest