ALIEN EARTH with a RED SUN discovered

UFOs, new tech, it all goes in here. Have you tried switching it off and back on ?

ALIEN EARTH with a RED SUN discovered

Postby LordRaven » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:05 pm

ALIEN EARTH with a RED SUN discovered 470 light-years away
'These are the planets we're looking for' - SETI boffin

The discovery of new planets likely to be able to support life along Earthly lines has been announced, with one of the most promising candidates for alien or human habitability located just 470 light-years away.

The new exoplanets have been discovered by analysis of data from the Kepler space telescope, and bear the tags Kepler-438b and Kepler-442b. Another six Earthlike worlds have also been identified, but these two are considered to be the most promising - and Kepler-438b the best of the lot. The new research was announced yesterday.

Both worlds orbit red dwarf stars, smaller and less hot than our Sun. Kepler-438b has a 35-Earth-day year: Kepler-442b's year is 112 days long. With a diameter just 12 percent bigger than Earth, Kepler-438b has a 70-percent chance of being rocky, according to the team's calculations. Kepler-442b is about one-third larger than Earth, but still has a 60-percent chance of being rocky.

Kepler-438b gets about 40 per cent more heat from its red sun than Earth does from Sol. It is thought that there's roughly a 70 per cent chance that liquid water can exist on its surface, which is generally thought to be the basic requirement for the appearance of life along Earthly lines: or for a planet to be potentially habitable for humans, assuming a biosphere either local or imported to provide atmospheric oxygen. Kepler-438b lies just 470 light-years away from our solar system.

Kepler-442b, with about two-thirds as much light as Earth, is reckoned to have a 97 per cent chance that water could exist on its surface - if it has one. It's a good bit further off, at 1,100 light-years.

By comparison to these two planets, Venus here in our solar system gets twice as much solar radiation as Earth and is much too hot for liquid water: the new exoplanets are considerably more Earthlike than our neighbour.

"We don't know for sure whether any of the planets in our sample are truly habitable," explains David Kipping, astroboffin (and sometime exomoonologist). "All we can say is that they're promising candidates."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/01/07 ... ears_away/

Krypton had a Red Sun, perhaps Superman lives there? :smilin:
LordRaven
Twat.

Re: ALIEN EARTH with a RED SUN discovered

Postby 3rdLeg » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:34 pm

And look what happened to that sun eh? They should of listned to Jor-El :trollface:

I am suprised Keitho hasn't been calculating how many years to get to these places... But.. if you had a wormhole, you know, a wormhole that is a valid solution/Theory in general relativity then one could get there in no time and find out if it is habitable or not.

Now wouldn't that be something eh... :thumbsup:
3rdLeg

Postby KeithTas » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:47 am

3rdLeg wrote:And look what happened to that sun eh? They should of listned to Jor-El :trollface:

I am suprised Keitho hasn't been calculating how many years to get to these places... But.. if you had a wormhole, you know, a wormhole that is a valid solution/Theory in general relativity then one could get there in no time and find out if it is habitable or not.

Easy to calculate Leggo, 470 years travelling at light speed, 940 years travelling at half the speed of light, 1880 years travelling at a quarter light speed or for fucks sake 2 seconds by wormhole (in your dreams).
KeithTas

Postby Trapper John » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:13 am

It's called Japan - and I think we've known about it for some time. Image
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby 3rdLeg » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:34 pm

KeithTas wrote:
3rdLeg wrote:And look what happened to that sun eh? They should of listned to Jor-El :trollface:

Easy to calculate Leggo, 470 years travelling at light speed, 940 years travelling at half the speed of light, 1880 years travelling at a quarter light speed or for fucks sake 2 seconds by wormhole (in your dreams).

Gidday Keitho, still ignoring theoretical physics i see.... Must hurt knowing that it is theoretically possible...... :thumbsup:

Must also hurt thinking we are the dumbest in the known and unknown universe.... Only Man, in this whole universe knows all there is to know about physics, according to Kietho, It is 120% impossible for any living being that has ever lived in the Universe to know more than we do now.
3rdLeg

Postby 3rdLeg » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:42 pm

Trapper John wrote:It's called Japan - and I think we've known about it for some time. Image

And Trapz would welcome any alien race providing they were of the so called "Nordic" race, all others should be put in quarantine just in case...... :doomed:
3rdLeg

Postby LordRaven » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:35 pm

3rdLeg wrote:
KeithTas wrote:

Gidday Keitho, still ignoring theoretical physics i see.... Must hurt knowing that it is theoretically possible...... :thumbsup:

Must also hurt thinking we are the dumbest in the known and unknown universe.... Only Man, in this whole universe knows all there is to know about physics, according to Kietho, It is 120% impossible for any living being that has ever lived in the Universe to know more than we do now.

Interstellar gave a great depiction of what can happen
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:08 am

3rdLeg wrote:
Trapper John wrote:It's called Japan - and I think we've known about it for some time. Image

And Trapz would welcome any alien race providing they were of the so called "Nordic" race, all others should be put in quarantine just in case...... :doomed:

The blue eyes race that originated from the Black Sea. Very English. :whistle:

Postby 3rdLeg » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:52 pm

KeithTas wrote:

Valid in theoretical physics...
Pleanty of Hawkins tubes out there... :thumbsup:

I do hope you have some kleenex while you were working that out... :hand:
3rdLeg

Postby LordRaven » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:07 pm

3rdLeg wrote:
KeithTas wrote:

Hawking is an amazing human being :thumbsup:
What a brain? What a mind? What an achiever?
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby 3rdLeg » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:38 am

LordRaven wrote:
3rdLeg wrote:
KeithTas wrote:

Hawking is an amazing human being :thumbsup:
What a brain? What a mind? What an achiever?

:thumbsup:
3rdLeg

Return to Science And Technology