Signs of Advanced Alien life in Our Galaxy?

UFOs, new tech, it all goes in here. Have you tried switching it off and back on ?

Signs of Advanced Alien life in Our Galaxy?

Postby Trapper John » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:26 am

Scientists at SETI and other organisations have become intrigued by what they term as the 'Strangest Star' in our galaxy.

They have been studying this particular Sun for over four years, since it was picked out of the 150,000 other stars studied by the Keplar telescope, as a Sun of special interest by several groups of separate scientists.

It appears this Sun has some huge objects orbiting it and it definitely isn't just planets. Many suggestions have been made but none are fool-proof explanations, so some at SETI are saying that although the last thing they think about is alien life, this could be one time where they might have to.

The suggestion is that the objects could be what many have hypothesised in the past, massive mega structures in space like say, giant arrays of solar power collectors which they believe advanced civilisations would erect in space to give them unlimited power.

It has now become such a contentious issue amongst astronomers that several scientists are now working with SETI and are proposing to direct a large radio telescope at the Star to see if they can detect radio waves of a 'technological nature' - if they do then they will ask for the VLA (Very Large Array) radio telescope in New Mexico to be pointed at it for a far more detailed investigation.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: Signs of Advanced Alien life in Our Galaxy?

Postby Stooo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:26 pm

Those images are 1,500 years old, they're probably already here.

Bloody immigrants... :woteva:

It's all bollocks anyway:

By considering the observational constraints on dust clumps orbiting a normal main-sequence star, we conclude that the scenario most consistent with the data in hand is the passage of a family of exocomet fragments, all of which are associated with a single previous breakup event. We discuss the necessity of future observations to help interpret the system.

Observations of KIC 8462852 should continue to aid in unraveling its mysteries. First and foremost, long-term photometric monitoring is imperative in order to catch future dipping events. It would be helpful to know whether observations reveal no further dips, or continued dips. If the dips continue, are they periodic? Do they change in size or shape? On one hand, the more dips the more problematic from the lack of IR emission perspective. Likewise, in the comet scenario there could be no further dips; the longer the dips persist in the light curve, the further around the orbit the fragments would have to have spread.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1509.03622v1
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby 3rdLeg » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:52 pm

Stooo wrote:Those images are 1,500 years old, they're probably already here.

By considering the observational constraints on dust clumps orbiting a normal main-sequence star, we conclude that the scenario most consistent with the data in hand is the passage of a family of exocomet fragments, all of which are associated with a single previous breakup event. We discuss the necessity of future observations to help interpret the system.

Observations of KIC 8462852 should continue to aid in unraveling its mysteries. First and foremost, long-term photometric monitoring is imperative in order to catch future dipping events. It would be helpful to know whether observations reveal no further dips, or continued dips. If the dips continue, are they periodic? Do they change in size or shape? On one hand, the more dips the more problematic from the lack of IR emission perspective. Likewise, in the comet scenario there could be no further dips; the longer the dips persist in the light curve, the further around the orbit the fragments would have to have spread.

Not bollox, there are 2 scenarios, 1 comets, makes it more convienient and 2 artificial structure. Occums is not always correct Stooo.... :thumbsup:

I admit, i hope it is scenario Nr 2 but understand Nr1 is more paletable for the masses.
Last edited by 3rdLeg on Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3rdLeg

Postby 3rdLeg » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:56 pm

Trapper John wrote:Scientists at SETI and other organisations have become intrigued by what they term as the 'Strangest Star' in our galaxy.

They have been studying this particular Sun for over four years, since it was picked out of the 150,000 other stars studied by the Keplar telescope, as a Sun of special interest by several groups of separate scientists.

It appears this Sun has some huge objects orbiting it and it definitely isn't just planets. Many suggestions have been made but none are fool-proof explanations, so some at SETI are saying that although the last thing they think about is alien life, this could be one time where they might have to. :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:

The suggestion is that the objects could be what many have hypothesised in the past, massive mega structures in space like say, giant arrays of solar power collectors which they believe advanced civilisations would erect in space to give them unlimited power.

It has now become such a contentious issue amongst astronomers that several scientists are now working with SETI and are proposing to direct a large radio telescope at the Star to see if they can detect radio waves of a 'technological nature' - if they do then they will ask for the VLA (Very Large Array) radio telescope in New Mexico to be pointed at it for a far more detailed investigation.

Let me get this straight, SETI stands for "Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence" And we have this quote from SETI....

so some at SETI are saying that although the last thing they think about is alien life

No fucking wonder we ain't heard anything because SETI don't have "looking" high up on the list.... :thumbsup:

Goodonya SETI, getting your prio's in perspective.... :trollface:
3rdLeg

Postby 3rdLeg » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:58 pm

That is what i have been saying all along... Glad you agree Stooo :thumbsup:
3rdLeg

Postby Stooo » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:43 pm

3rdLeg wrote:

It's a long way away and not very clear, gravity will have altered the image in the 1,500 light year journey in any case.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:29 pm

the milky way is 13 billion years old
they are either here already
or never will be and it is up to us
to do this thang
:awesome:
Big Fat Frosty

Postby Trapper John » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:23 am

3rdLeg wrote:
Trapper John wrote:Scientists at SETI and other organisations have become intrigued by what they term as the 'Strangest Star' in our galaxy.

It appears this Sun has some huge objects orbiting it and it definitely isn't just planets. Many suggestions have been made but none are fool-proof explanations, so some at SETI are saying that although the last thing they think about is alien life, this could be one time where they might have to. :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:

Let me get this straight, SETI stands for "Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence" And we have this quote from SETI....

so some at SETI are saying that although the last thing they think about is alien life

No fucking wonder we ain't heard anything because SETI don't have "looking" high up on the list.... :thumbsup:

I know what SETI stands for - do you know what SATI stands for?

I try to condense an OP into a few paragraphs giving a broad outline, rather than just post a link which usually contains pages and pages of stuff people won't read. If people are interested they'll look for more themselves. :thumbsup:

This wasn't discovered by SETI, it was noticed by various astronomers and groups, SETI came later to the party. What I believe I'd said was 'THEY' as in the astronomical scientific community, and as in 'THEY' might have to think outside the box on this one.

If I'd have meant SETI I'd have said 'WE' wouldn't I? ....... still never waste a good trolling opportunity, eh. :roll:

BTW ..... SATI stands for the Search for Australian Tiny Intelligences - you must be very familiar with them?
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby 3rdLeg » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:43 pm

Trapper John wrote:
3rdLeg wrote:

I know what SETI stands for - do you know what SATI stands for?

I try to condense an OP into a few paragraphs giving a broad outline, rather than just post a link which usually contains pages and pages of stuff people won't read. If people are interested they'll look for more themselves. :thumbsup: I did... :thumbsup:

This wasn't discovered by SETI, it was noticed by various astronomers and groups, SETI came later to the party. What I believe I'd said was 'THEY' as in the astronomical scientific community, and as in 'THEY' might have to think outside the box on this one.

If I'd have meant SETI I'd have said 'WE' wouldn't I? ....... still never waste a good trolling opportunity, eh. :roll:

BTW ..... SATI stands for the Search for Australian Tiny Intelligences - you must be very familiar with them?

You truely are a thick racist cunt, You were no doubt drunk at the time of your response so all is forgiven.

Now, let me clear a few things up for you...

WE as in the forum population, can see a quote from you supposedly from SETI claiming pretty much that interest in Alien intelligence was not high on the agenda.

knowhere in my post did i claim it was SETI's discovery you dill... try reading, it does help actually.

SATI? Yeah, I am familiar with them, they have made contact, unfortunately, they are still looking in your area, could be another decade before they can publish any ground breaking paper of a possible breakthrough........

fucking twat...
3rdLeg

Postby 3rdLeg » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:46 pm

Stooo wrote:
3rdLeg wrote:

It's a long way away and not very clear, gravity will have altered the image in the 1,500 light year journey in any case.

Like i said, glad you agree... :trollface:
3rdLeg

Postby LordRaven » Sun May 22, 2016 10:41 am

Dyson spheres would be massive
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby The Sarge » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:58 am

The fact that aliens have never visited the Earth is proof positive that intelligent life does exist out there. :more beer:
The Sarge

Postby luddite » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:04 pm

The Sarge wrote:The fact that aliens have never visited the Earth is proof positive that intelligent life does exist out there. :more beer:

Incorrect I'm afraid, a negative cannot be proven. :woteva:
luddite

Postby LordRaven » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:20 pm

The Sarge wrote:The fact that aliens have never visited the Earth is proof positive that intelligent life does exist out there. :more beer:

Never say never
LordRaven
Twat.

Next

Return to Science And Technology