Controlling the conversation.

Controlling the conversation.

Postby Maddog » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:41 pm

European policymakers reached a deal early Saturday in Brussels on a sweeping new law to force the world’s largest tech companies to more aggressively police their platforms for illegal content, paving the way for one of the most expansive regulations to date to address a broad range of harms caused by social networks, shopping websites and search engines.

The legislation, called the Digital Services Act, would impose new transparency obligations on the companies, forcing them to provide information to regulators and outside researchers about how algorithms that control what people see on their sites work. It also creates new regulations around how companies target online ads.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... uxbndlbing

When social media platforms can allow for free speech, as long as it's approved free speech. :leer:
Maddog

Re: Controlling the conversation.

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:54 pm

Define free speech.

If someone were to publish claims you eat babies for breakfast would that be acceptable as free speech?
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:01 pm

In the week since the Kremlin blocked Facebook, hundreds of thousands of Russians have sought to circumvent the ban using a virtual private network. A VPN creates an encrypted connection between your device and a remote server, which can be anywhere in the world, so in theory you can access sites blocked in your country.

Nikolay*, a Russian who now lives in the EU, says his friends back home bought a VPN in order to communicate with him and others amid fears that access to the outside world could become limited. “There is a lot of talk that people should get these VPNs as soon as possible,” says Nikolay.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... e-networks

Government has a right to block hateful speech on social media. Amiright comrades?

Is Putin’s Twitter account still up? :leer:
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:29 pm

Can you define free speech.
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:52 pm

Responding to a move to restrict access to its service in the country, Twitter this week launched a new privacy-protected version of its site so Russians could more easily access it.

Wait. So a government is trying to control what people can say on social media, and Twitter is circumventing that control?

I guess Twitter is pro hate speech now.

Imagine how bad it would be with Elon in charge.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:16 pm

Still no definition of free speech?
Cactus Jack

Postby drum » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:55 am

Cactus Jack wrote:Still no definition of free speech?

I don't think there is a real definition of free speech, you're free to say what you want, we all are but your free words might not be acceptable to others. Joining social media platforms, your free speech is as free as the guidelines allow you to be or until they deem your free speech unacceptable.

Acceptable words are always changing, just go about your life and don't be a cunt about it really is the correct answer :mrgreen:
drum

Postby Holly » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:09 am

drum wrote:

I don't think there is a real definition of free speech, you're free to say what you want, we all are but your free words might not be acceptable to others. Joining social media platforms, your free speech is as free as the guidelines allow you to be or until they deem your free speech unacceptable.

Acceptable words are always changing, just go about your life and don't be a cunt about it really is the correct answer :mrgreen:

Actually, that makes a lot of sense...Don't be a cunt! That's all that's required.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby LordRaven » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:32 am

Angela Rayner being compared to Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct has stirred up a Hornets nest.
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Grafenwalder » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:10 pm

LordRaven wrote:

Angela Rayner being compared to Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct has stirred up a Hornets nest.

Tory MP Caroline Nokes on LBC

Grafenwalder

Postby Maddog » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:50 pm

Holly wrote:
drum wrote:

Actually, that makes a lot of sense...Don't be a cunt! That's all that's required.

What if it's the Chinese government's idea of being a cunt?

Speech shouldn't be limited until you are inciting violence.

Obviously social media platforms can be more stringent.

And I, and many others can support people who want to make these platforms more open.

It's why I support what Elon is doing.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:42 pm

Maddog supports illegal stock price manipulation.

Good to know.
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:44 pm

:wubwub:
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:15 pm

drum wrote:

I ask because the RWNJs seem to think 'free speech' means being allowed to say what they want - whether true or untrue - with no pushback or consequences whatsoever.

RWNJs have access to an entire mediasphere, one where alternative opinions are ignored and 'alternative facts' presented, and don't seem to like being called liars when they are lying.
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:08 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:Tory MP Caroline Nokes on LBC

I reckon that it's Nads, have you seen the way that she looks at him?

I can imagine her all tired and emotional, waving a bottle of MD 50-50 around and screaming: 'SLUT! FUCKING SLUT! I give that man my everything and what do I get? HIM having a glance at that SLUT'S vulva every fucking chance that he gets!' In a Norma Desmond'y type of way :yikes: :doomed:

But that's just my imagination. It could be Chope considering his opposition to the upskirting law but will we ever know?
Stooo
Site Admin

Next

Return to World News