Elon Musk is buying Twitter again - for now

Re: Elon Musk is buying Twitter again - for now

Postby Stooo » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:09 pm

Jason wrote:A lot of people seem to be migrating to Mastodon but then I've been seeing a lot of people who also find the way it's run a bit confusing as well. If someone could come up with a simple Twitter-esque replacement then it could seriously catch on I think.

Full of world leaders, politicians, journalists and film stars that you can simply converse with? Twitter was unique in it's reach and it's destruction makes me ponder.

Musk’s Twitter Buy Makes No Sense – Unless It’s Part of Something Bigger
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Jason » Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:39 am

Stooo wrote:
Jason wrote:A lot of people seem to be migrating to Mastodon but then I've been seeing a lot of people who also find the way it's run a bit confusing as well. If someone could come up with a simple Twitter-esque replacement then it could seriously catch on I think.

Full of world leaders, politicians, journalists and film stars that you can simply converse with? Twitter was unique in it's reach and it's destruction makes me ponder.

Musk’s Twitter Buy Makes No Sense – Unless It’s Part of Something Bigger

Cheers for that, I'll give it a read.

It's happened ..

Apparently he's already said he won't come back, but that might not last. But then if he does, it'll be interesting to see who actually stands by their principles and quits the platform.
Jason

Postby Cactus Jack » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:37 pm

At the moment's it's in Trump's best interests not to go on Twitter.

Partly because he owns a rival to Twitter, but that's not a slam dunk because Mark Zuckerburg did have a Twitter account, but also because he would be subject to the whims of Elon Musk. By posting on this own platform, which seems to exist solely for the purpose of having people kiss his ass, Trump can already guarantee his every brain fart will be headline news in the right wing media so Twitter has no upside for him.
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:36 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:At the moment's it's in Trump's best interests not to go on Twitter.

Partly because he owns a rival to Twitter, but that's not a slam dunk because Mark Zuckerburg did have a Twitter account, but also because he would be subject to the whims of Elon Musk. By posting on this own platform, which seems to exist solely for the purpose of having people kiss his ass, Trump can already guarantee his every brain fart will be headline news in the right wing media so Twitter has no upside for him.

He is also constrained by the fact that he has to post the same thing on TS six hours before he does on Twitter which means utter destruction because forewarned is forearmed.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:47 pm

Jason wrote:
Apparently he's already said he won't come back, but that might not last. But then if he does, it'll be interesting to see who actually stands by their principles and quits the platform.

I'm down 20 followers in a day and I'm pretty careful in who I follow, I'm still not ready to jump mainly because I can't be arsed.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Red Okktober » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:57 pm

Stooo wrote:

How many world leaders have you been talking with recently?

I hope you shared your razor sharp political mind with them and advised accordingly.
Red Okktober

Postby Stooo » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:29 am

Red Okktober wrote:
Stooo wrote:

How many world leaders have you been talking with recently?

I hope you shared your razor sharp political mind with them and advised accordingly.

It's the fact that you can.

If it's any help I've been blocked by people that you would consider political heroes, those that try to promote free speech and anti-cancel culture somewhat ironically. I understand that Lawrence Fox, one of your blowhards has been hit hard in the financial kidneys today due to him running his stupid mouth off again, how awful. The one that makes me sad is Joon Mummary, she blocked me after her industry (fishing) was hung out to dry after the vote despite it being a major topic for vote leave, I'd dearly love to chat with her about how Grimsby has just been shut down as a fishing port but alas :shame:

Anyway what the fuck are you on about?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Red Okktober » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:20 am

Stooo wrote:Anyway what the fuck are you on about?

You claimed that you can 'simply converse' with world leaders on twitter.

So have you recently had online conversations with the likes of Sunak, Biden, Macron, Putin, or Kim Jong-un?

If yes what did you talk about?
Red Okktober

Postby Jason » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:37 am

Apparently Musk borrowed $30bn to facilitate his purchase of Twitter and agreed to pay $1bn a year in interest alone.

Considering the platform is likely worth a fraction of that now, I think he's basically stuck with it.
Jason

Postby Stooo » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:58 pm

Red Okktober wrote:

So have you recently had online conversations with the likes of Sunak, Biden, Macron, Putin, or Kim Jong-un?

If you don't know what you're talking about it's best to shut up, you obviously have no idea as to how the platform works.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:11 pm

Red Okktober wrote:

Kind of with Red on this one. Twitter may give the illusion of direct access but it's vastly unlikely that Trump manages to have any one on ones with his 5 million MAGA hats on Truth Social let alone with his 80 million Twitter followers back in the day. It's possible we may get to interact with a few loons but those engagements will be few an far between

It will be interesting to see if Trump does go back to Twitter because he literally has 10 billion reason not to.

There is a SPAC - a SPecial Acquisitions Company - that for weird and wonderful reasons will 'merge' with Trump's Truth Social and give Donald Trump somewhere in vicinity of $10 billion, if all goes well and Donald sticks to some rules that include not posting on other social media sites - within certain conditions, he can fundraise and campaign on other sites but has to put anything on Truth Social first and exclusively for six hours.

Now if we assume Donald is able to stick to those rules for the first few times there's no doubt that someone on Twitter will be ready with a bitch slap response to Donald's 'Truths' when they appear on Twitter and I can't imagine the thin skinned man-baby resisting the urge to fire back. Trump's best move is therefore to stay off Twitter for the duration.
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:15 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Red Okktober wrote:

Kind of with Red on this one. Twitter may give the illusion of direct access but it's vastly unlikely that Trump manages to have any one on ones with his 5 million MAGA hats on Truth Social let alone with his 80 million Twitter followers back in the day. It's possible we may get to interact with a few loons but those engagements will be few an far between

It will be interesting to see if Trump does go back to Twitter because he literally has 10 billion reason not to.

There is a SPAC - a SPecial Acquisitions Company - that for weird and wonderful reasons will 'merge' with Trump's Truth Social and give Donald Trump somewhere in vicinity of $10 billion, if all goes well and Donald sticks to some rules that include not posting on other social media sites - within certain conditions, he can fundraise and campaign on other sites but has to put anything on Truth Social first and exclusively for six hours.

Now if we assume Donald is able to stick to those rules for the first few times there's no doubt that someone on Twitter will be ready with a bitch slap response to Donald's 'Truths' when they appear on Twitter and I can't imagine the thin skinned man-baby resisting the urge to fire back. Trump's best move is therefore to stay off Twitter for the duration.

Maybe not direct interaction but use of the like button proves that your opinion has at least been considered.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:35 pm

:more beer:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Jason » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:39 pm

Mastodon is the way .. even I got caught up in the exodus .. lol
Jason