Elon Musk is buying Twitter again - for now

Re: Elon Musk is buying Twitter again - for now

Postby Stooo » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:22 pm

Here’s how Elon Musk became the first person ever to lose $200 billion
Elon Musk became the world’s richest person when his wealth reached $340 billion on November 4, 2021. He lost the title early this month to French fashion and cosmetics magnate Bernard Arnault.

https://indianexpress.com/article/busin ... n-8353789/

Avoidably losing $200Bn is not the act of a rational person.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:54 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-63912116

One of the bits of fall out from Elon's decision to sack cleaners because they could be replaced with robots is that he hasn't actually replaced them with robots. Reports from the San Franciso offices confirm what you might think about an office that isn't being cleaned by people or robots, the office just isn't being cleaned.

Employees are complaining about the terrible smell, because the building is filled with rotting rubbish, and they confirm they're having to bring in their own toilet paper from home.

I've worked in offices where the cleaners have gone on strike and not being billionaire genius visionaries those in charge broke the office down into sections and organised a cleaning rota to at least ensure that the office was a fit environment to work in. I guess they were too woke to consider drafting in non-existent robots and letting the office descend into squalor.
Cactus Jack

Postby Jason » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:20 pm

Looks like Elon has ordered the Twitter API to be shut down as most, if not all, third party Twitter clients stopped working last night.

Tweetdeck is working but Twitter own that anyway.

I suspect he’s done it just to see what happens - no plan or forward thinking, just “see what happens”.

If he thinks it’ll mean increased ad revenue for Twitter then he’s likely to just kill it altogether.
Jason

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:49 pm

Jason wrote:Looks like Elon has ordered the Twitter API to be shut down as most, if not all, third party Twitter clients stopped working last night.

I suspect he’s done it just to see what happens - no plan or forward thinking, just “see what happens”.

If he thinks it’ll mean increased ad revenue for Twitter then he’s likely to just kill it altogether.

I go in a different direction, mainly because I was expecting a breakdown like this when all the routine maintenance work stopped a few weeks ago, but your explanation is equally plausible.
Cactus Jack

Postby Jason » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:04 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Jason wrote:Looks like Elon has ordered the Twitter API to be shut down as most, if not all, third party Twitter clients stopped working last night.

I go in a different direction, mainly because I was expecting a breakdown like this when all the routine maintenance work stopped a few weeks ago, but your explanation is equally plausible.

I did read one comment earlier claiming to have heard from someone at Twitter that the API stopping working was "entirely intentional" but I suppose you have to take that with a pinch of salt.

I suppose Elon being Elon, it's not entirely out of the question to think he's likely only recently found out about third party apps and how they don't show adverts so he's decided on a whim to shut them down.

If he kills all third party apps then I suspect Mastodon will have a few thousand more joining up over the coming weeks.
Jason

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:05 am

I think both Twitter and Facebook are becoming increasingly irrelevant either way.

When was the last time you saw an ad on either Facebook or Twitter and thought 'Oh I must buy that'?
Let me click on this link to who knows where and give someone I don't know permission to take all my personal data from my Twitter/Facebook account and share it with whoever the fuck they want?'

If one good thing came out of the Brexit referendum and election of Donald Trump it was the exposure of just how much data was being put out there by social media users and just how easy it was to use that data to manipulate them using it,

At it's most relevant Twitter was only the fifth most used social media platform and when I last heard it's way down at 15th - just barely above reddit.

Pretty soon this Forum will have more users, and I'm not expecting stoo to get a few million more members
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:07 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:I think both Twitter and Facebook are becoming increasingly irrelevant either way.

When was the last time you saw an ad on either Facebook or Twitter and thought 'Oh I must buy that'?
Let me click on this link to who knows where and give someone I don't know permission to take all my personal data from my Twitter/Facebook account and share it with whoever the fuck they want?'

If one good thing came out of the Brexit referendum and election of Donald Trump it was the exposure of just how much data was being put out there by social media users and just how easy it was to use that data to manipulate them using it,

At it's most relevant Twitter was only the fifth most used social media platform and when I last heard it's way down at 15th - just barely above reddit.

Pretty soon this Forum will have more users, and I'm not expecting stoo to get a few million more members

Twitter ads are a nightmare on mobile. I have thick skin on my fingertips due to the cardboard that I handle all day absorbing the natural oil from my skin (yes I do use hand cream) and the amount of miss touches that I get on mobile is insane, these will obviously register as interest which drives even more ads :brickwall:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Jason » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:22 pm

Stooo wrote:Twitter ads are a nightmare on mobile

https://stacksocial.com/sales/adguard-p ... bscription

Worth every penny. The free version works well enough as well.
Jason

Postby Stooo » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:31 pm

Jason wrote:

Cheers ears :thumbsup:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Holly » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:34 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:I think both Twitter and Facebook are becoming increasingly irrelevant either way.

Doesn't that work with all adds online no matter which platform you're using?
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:14 pm

Holly wrote:

No but it all gets a bit technical and boring beyond that word.

Some companies, and some platforms, and some countries have rules that restrict what data that can be collected, shared and used. There are different interpretations about the level and specificity of consent required to have your personal data shared.

I'll give credit to this forum because it doesn't have ads and it doesn't collect personal data - stoo says he operates the forum at a small profit, and more power to him, but I have no idea how. And while we're in that space all due gratitude to the moderators like yourself who (I understand) work unpaid to keep this place running.
Cactus Jack

Postby Holly » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:05 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Holly wrote:

No but it all gets a bit technical and boring beyond that word.

Some companies, and some platforms, and some countries have rules that restrict what data that can be collected, shared and used. There are different interpretations about the level and specificity of consent required to have your personal data shared.

I'll give credit to this forum because it doesn't have ads and it doesn't collect personal data - stoo says he operates the forum at a small profit, and more power to him, but I have no idea how. And while we're in that space all due gratitude to the moderators like yourself who (I understand) work unpaid to keep this place running.

Awww, thank you CJ :more beer:
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:09 pm

The Taliban are now a verified account on Twitter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-64294613

Because they're into free speech.
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:29 pm

Jason wrote:

Sadly it doesn't work, Musk stopped access to the API from third parties and gutted @TwitterSupport, the only chance you have to resolve issues is to contact Spacex and hope that someone gives a shit :dunno:

Tweetdeck is working for now but I kept getting random requests from the Twitter app all day to confirm posts that I had made days ago that have replies and likes :dunno:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Jason » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:59 pm

Stooo wrote:
Jason wrote:

Sadly it doesn't work, Musk stopped access to the API from third parties and gutted @TwitterSupport, the only chance you have to resolve issues is to contact Spacex and hope that someone gives a shit :dunno:

Tweetdeck is working for now but I kept getting random requests from the Twitter app all day to confirm posts that I had made days ago that have replies and likes :dunno:

Interesting. I've got AdGuard installed on my iPhone and I don't see a single ad in safari on Twitter.com.

The official Twitter app, of course, is a different thing entirely.

Fenix is one of the few third party iOS apps still working that's ad-free, so I'm using that but I'm not sure if the Android version works.
Jason

PreviousNext

Return to World News