UK General Election, July 4th

Re: UK General Election, July 4th

Postby Maddog » Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:26 am

Cactus Jack wrote:Any comment on the actual topic?

There you are. I've criticised you so you can feel like a victim. You're back in your happy place.

I'm impressed with your elections and how there seems to be no drama.

Folks show up on election day, show an ID, vote, the ballots are counted and you go to bed knowing the results.
Maddog

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:11 am

Maddog wrote:

There you are. I've criticised you so you can feel like a victim. You're back in your happy place.

Folks show up on election day, show an ID, vote, the ballots are counted and you go to bed knowing the results.

The UK operates under a parliamentary system, meaning we elect a legislature that then chooses a Prime Minister, effectively a Chief Executive akin to your President. In theory, the Prime Minister could be anyone, but typically it is the leader of the party with the majority of seats.

The Prime Minister has the power to call an election at any time, which generally helps to avoid what is referred to as 'gridlock', although this is not always the case.

Postby Maddog » Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:01 pm

Guest wrote:
Maddog wrote:

The UK operates under a parliamentary system, meaning we elect a legislature that then chooses a Prime Minister, effectively a Chief Executive akin to your President. In theory, the Prime Minister could be anyone, but typically it is the leader of the party with the majority of seats.

The Prime Minister has the power to call an election at any time, which generally helps to avoid what is referred to as 'gridlock', although this is not always the case.

I understand how your system works.

I just don't see a bunch of people challenging the results because they believe there was fraud or some other malfeasance.

The losers may not be happy. They may think the people are stupid. But they don't challenge the vote, or claim that people couldn't vote.

While I don't want the Parliamentary system, I do like a system where members of the party choose their candidate as opposed to a primary..

That's how we used to do the two major parties here.

Libertarians still do it that way.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:55 pm

Maddog wrote:I understand how your system works.

I just don't see a bunch of people challenging the results because they believe there was fraud or some other malfeasance.

The losers may not be happy. They may think the people are stupid. But they don't challenge the vote, or claim that people couldn't vote.

While I don't want the Parliamentary system, I do like a system where members of the party choose their candidate as opposed to a primary..

That's how we used to do the two major parties here.

Libertarians still do it that way.

I think we're better off because we're just one nation with one set of laws governing elections.

The idea of fifty one different sets of rules seems completely bonkers to me and for Federal Elections there should be one non-partisan, independent Elections Commission that oversees everything - which is effectively what we and most other countries have.

As for the other thing - your system of primaries does look a bit silly and the way your elections are set up it means most of your politicians spend 75% of their time fundraising.

But there we are, in very different democracies but still - for now in your case - able to replace one government with another without needing to break out the rocket launchers and AR-15s.
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:44 pm

Maddog wrote:

The drama is getting them out for your candidate. I'm only just now starting to get used to a normal timeline that doesn't involve knocking on doors or posting stuff in my spare time. I enjoy my politics and I pay to be a member of my party and work for nothing to get the message out, and I'm happy with that.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:34 pm

Stooo wrote:
Maddog wrote:

The drama is getting them out for your candidate. I'm only just now starting to get used to a normal timeline that doesn't involve knocking on doors or posting stuff in my spare time. I enjoy my politics and I pay to be a member of my party and work for nothing to get the message out, and I'm happy with that.

You don't buy them pizza and bus them to the voting center?

Hell, we don't even have to do that anymore. If you were here, you could knock on their door with a ballot and help them fill it out right there.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:05 pm

In the UK we have polling stations very close to where people live.

I can easily walk from my home to three different polling stations with 40 minutes, possibly 4 but the last one I might have to walk a bit more briskly for a few minutes.

Voting by post isn't that difficult either.

And of course the ballot to elect Liz Truss Prime Minister was internal to Conservative Party and was conducted online.

Participation in democracy is something that should be encouraged.
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:35 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:In the UK we have polling stations very close to where people live.

I can easily walk from my home to three different polling stations with 40 minutes, possibly 4 but the last one I might have to walk a bit more briskly for a few minutes.

And of course the ballot to elect Liz Truss Prime Minister was internal to Conservative Party and was conducted online.

I can stand in my front yard and hit 3 polling places by swinging one dead cat..
Maddog

Postby Stooo » Fri Jul 12, 2024 8:11 pm

Maddog wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Hell, we don't even have to do that anymore. If you were here, you could knock on their door with a ballot and help them fill it out right there.

We drive people to the polls if they are unable to get there otherwise as a courtesy, campaigning is not allowed on election day due to a process known as purdah, so there's no merch or talk of the election and the radio stations have to stay quiet as well. This time I think that we bussed in three older people in the whole constituency (that we fucking blitzed! :yess: ).

Tell me more about the pizza... :drool:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:09 pm

Stooo wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Maddog wrote:

We drive people to the polls if they are unable to get there otherwise as a courtesy, campaigning is not allowed on election day due to a process known as purdah, so there's no merch or talk of the election and the radio stations have to stay quiet as well. This time I think that we bussed in three older people in the whole constituency (that we fucking blitzed! :yess: ).

We feed people to vote over here, assuming you haven't sat down with them and helped them fill out their ballot in their living room.
Maddog

Postby Stooo » Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:20 pm

Maddog wrote:
Stooo wrote:We drive people to the polls if they are unable to get there otherwise as a courtesy, campaigning is not allowed on election day due to a process known as purdah, so there's no merch or talk of the election and the radio stations have to stay quiet as well. This time I think that we bussed in three older people in the whole constituency (that we fucking blitzed! :yess: ).

We feed people to vote over here, assuming you haven't sat down with them and helped them fill out their ballot in their living room.

So the stuff about denying water was a lie despite the vids? OK :thumbsup:

We just drive a couple of old biddies to the polling station, again, we are not allowed to influence their vote and don't.

We don't get pizza for this so can you provide details :choc:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Maddog » Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:30 pm

Stooo wrote:
Maddog wrote:
Stooo wrote:We drive people to the polls if they are unable to get there otherwise as a courtesy, campaigning is not allowed on election day due to a process known as purdah, so there's no merch or talk of the election and the radio stations have to stay quiet as well. This time I think that we bussed in three older people in the whole constituency (that we fucking blitzed! :yess: ).

So the stuff about denying water was a lie despite the vids? OK :thumbsup:

We just drive a couple of old biddies to the polling station, again, we are not allowed to influence their vote and don't.

We don't get pizza for this so can you provide details :choc:

There's a lot of bullshit out there when it comes to out elections.

That's why I said yours are run better and there's last chance that people won't respect the process, regardless of the outcome.

I've never drank water nor felt the need to have water during a process that takes me 5 minutes..

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/08/business ... index.html
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Jul 13, 2024 2:19 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:In the UK we have polling stations very close to where people live.

I can stand in my front yard and hit 3 polling places by swinging one dead cat..

You're lucky.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... res-voting

The cat not so much. Are you sure it was dead before you started swinging it?
Cactus Jack

Postby Maddog » Sat Jul 13, 2024 4:10 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Maddog wrote:

You're lucky.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... res-voting

The cat not so much. Are you sure it was dead before you started swinging it?

With mail in voting and early voting going on for 3 weeks, there are not nearly as many people voting on election day, nor the need for as many polling stations.

It's so fucking easy, even you could figure it out.
Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Sat Jul 13, 2024 5:30 pm

So easy and yet all the measure to make it more difficult seem to disproportionately affect the poorest and most vulnerable.

Funny that.

It's almost as if the entire American revolution wasn't so much a one off effort to overthrow tyranny as the start of an ongoing attempt to perpetuate it.
Cactus Jack

PreviousNext

Return to UK News