Brexit Shortages On Food Packaging now unavoidable

Re: Brexit Shortages On Food Packaging now unavoidable

Postby Grafenwalder » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:58 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:It's the ultimate Scrooge. You'd complain about the power needed to send an electronic card. :roll:

Why are you bullying me? I choose not to add to environmental problems by not buying and sending Christmas cards. It's not up to you to criticise my lifestyle and try to bully me into doing it. I've noticed that the remoaners on this forum do like to bully others who don't see things their way.

You go ahead and spend all your time and money buying cards and presents for people who might not even want them. Go and stuff your face with prepacked mince pies all you like. Send all your packaging to landfill. Just don't tell me how to live my life.

Bullying????!!! :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:

Yes, you are. You think you're so great don't you? You think you're always right and that you can sit in judgement of others.

Kettle calling teapot there methinks :laughing:
Grafenwalder

Postby Raggamuffin » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:04 pm

Grafenwalder wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Grafenwalder wrote:It's the ultimate Scrooge. You'd complain about the power needed to send an electronic card. :roll:

Why are you bullying me? I choose not to add to environmental problems by not buying and sending Christmas cards. It's not up to you to criticise my lifestyle and try to bully me into doing it. I've noticed that the remoaners on this forum do like to bully others who don't see things their way.

You go ahead and spend all your time and money buying cards and presents for people who might not even want them. Go and stuff your face with prepacked mince pies all you like. Send all your packaging to landfill. Just don't tell me how to live my life.

Bullying????!!! :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:

Yes, you are. You think you're so great don't you? You think you're always right and that you can sit in judgement of others.

Kettle calling teapot there methinks :laughing:

You go off and have a laugh with your mate about how I want little children to drown. It's all you're good for - encouraging morons like him and his lies.
Raggamuffin

Postby Grafenwalder » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:14 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:You go off and have a laugh with your mate about how I want little children to drown. It's all you're good for - encouraging morons like him and his lies.

Stop pestering, i'm busy making landfill. Ah talking of pollution, have you packed in that filthy fag habit yet or are you still polluting the planet? :eyebrow:
Grafenwalder

Postby drum » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:15 am

I don't do cards either, or Christmas as a rule. Not even a string of tinsel. get it all to fuck :mrgreen:
drum

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:37 am

drum wrote:I don't do cards either, or Christmas as a rule. Not even a string of tinsel. get it all to fuck :mrgreen:

That makes you a law abiding citizen - the celebration of Christmas was outlawed in the UK in 1647 and that law has never been repealed.
Cactus Jack

Postby drum » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:03 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
drum wrote:I don't do cards either, or Christmas as a rule. Not even a string of tinsel. get it all to fuck :mrgreen:

That makes you a law abiding citizen - the celebration of Christmas was outlawed in the UK in 1647 and that law has never been repealed.

oaft!! I never knew that either. Seriously though, once my youngest got to 16 I stopped it all, I have never been a fan of Christmas, I see it for what it is, one bid fraud.
drum

Postby Raggamuffin » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:08 am

Be careful - you'll be accused of wanting small children to drown.
Raggamuffin

Postby Raggamuffin » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:09 am

Grafenwalder wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:You go off and have a laugh with your mate about how I want little children to drown. It's all you're good for - encouraging morons like him and his lies.

Stop pestering, i'm busy making landfill. Ah talking of pollution, have you packed in that filthy fag habit yet or are you still polluting the planet? :eyebrow:

You're the one polluting the planet with the bile that comes out of your mouth.
Raggamuffin

Postby drum » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:52 am

drum

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:23 am

But we have a deal - Boris told us so and Boris doesn't lie.

Postby Stooo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:16 pm

I do cards, got to think about the share price. I got a whole eighteen quid in my divvie this year :whistle:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:21 pm

Guest wrote:

But we have a deal - Boris told us so and Boris doesn't lie.

Over the years since Brexit was first talked of, its proponents have developed numerous convoluted and often contradictory myths. Nowhere is this more so than over the Irish border, starting with the pre-referendum denial by Boris Johnson and others that Brexit would even have an impact on the border. Subsequently, again with much convolution, Brexiters proposed various largely imaginary and certainly unrealistic ‘solutions’ to the problem they didn’t actually believe existed. These myths have subsequently been augmented by others relating to the Northern Ireland Protocol (NIP) that Johnson and his chief negotiator, David Frost, agreed.

Because they so frequently recur – recent examples include Nick Timothy (£) and Bernard Jenkin – I often want to make reference to them in blog posts. But because they are so convoluted and difficult to unpack doing so would make what are already long posts unbearably so.

So I have collected together the main lines, and some commentary upon them, here so as to be able to simply link to it in future posts. Because they are so numerous and have so many sub-themes this is a work in progress which I will add to, including adding links to provide evidence. I’ve divided them into beliefs about the past and beliefs about the present/ future, but the two are clearly inter-linked.

Perhaps the most fundamental critique that applies to the entire idea of completely re-negotiating the NIP is that all of the reasons now given to justify doing so were concealed from the public in the crucial 2019 General Election, when Johnson promised that he had an unequivocally excellent and ‘oven-ready deal’ which would ‘get Brexit done’.

https://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.co ... -lies.html

Yeah about that...
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby drum » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:30 pm

Stooo wrote:

I do cards, got to think about the share price. I got a whole eighteen quid in my divvie this year :whistle:

I only do cards for those who send me, like you did last year, so you got one back. :mrgreen: Holly will get one this year too as that's already been prearranged. I'll have to send one of my sisters a nice card, she's been super nice all this year after over 10 yrs of us not speaking. Was cheaper before :again?: :pmsl:
drum

Postby Stooo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:37 pm

drum wrote:
Stooo wrote:

I only do cards for those who send me, like you did last year, so you got one back. :mrgreen: Holly will get one this year too as that's already been prearranged. I'll have to send one of my sisters a nice card, she's been super nice all this year after over 10 yrs of us not speaking. Was cheaper before :again?: :pmsl:

I get a few sheets of 1st class from work at Christmas but I don't send many letters or cards. I save one in a flimsy for passing on later, keep one for myself and donate the rest, they're literally legal tender :mrgreen:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Red Okktober » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:40 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
https://www.politicshome.com/news/artic ... hgv-crisis

It is now too late to avert temporary shortages of cardboard and aluminium cans this autumn, a leading figure in the packaging industry has warned.

Dick Searle, chief executive of The Packaging Federation said the “government should have reacted” a long time ago over the lack of HGV drivers, and that the labour shortage is now likely to impact collection patterns of raw and recycled materials needed for the production of cardboard.

The shortage of aluminium cans is down to the general “green” switch from plastic to aluminium for drinks packaging, which means there has been huge surge demand at a time when there is no “wriggle room” to increase capacity at the four primary can making firms.

Searle insisted that possible shortages of these types of packaging would be temporary, and urged shoppers to “behave themselves” to avoid stockpiling. He suggested they should instead get used to a limited range on the shelves.

"Now it is too late so we just have to manage what we've got, and manage it effectively,” he told PoliticsHome.

Cactus - if you're going to start threads blaming everything on Brexit, in this case a shortage of packaging - it's probably best to link to an article that actually agrees with you.

Your link above clearly says that the shortage of drinks cans is down to a 'green' switch. It doesn't mention Brexit.

So how about cardboard? This is what GWP have to say about it. GWP are an award winning UK based company that designs and manufactures packaging;

UK cardboard shortages – what is really causing the current situation?

https://www.gwp.co.uk/guides/uk-cardboard-shortages/

For one, the Confederation of Paper Industries (CPI) indicates demand for cardboard boxes from online retailers was five years ahead of where it had expected it to be before the pandemic.

Arguably the biggest reason for shortages is due to hugely increased demand. In fact, in some quarters cardboard is being referred to now as “beige gold”.

Whilst the shift to online shopping resulted in a steady growth in demand for corrugated ecommerce packaging over the last 4 – 5 years, the coronavirus pandemic accelerated this massively. To put this in context, Royal Mail have estimated that there were around 200 million extra parcels through their own and other courier networks in 2020.

The other factor here is that whereas items sent to retail outlets would require one large box – for example 20 units shipped in one outer pack – when ordered online each of these individual items will have their own cardboard shipping box.

The Coronavirus pandemic has affected demand in a number of other ways too. For example, many businesses that would never traditionally sell online – such as breweries, bakeries, fresh fruit and veg producers etc. – have been forced to pivot online. With traditional physical markets, restaurants and cafes closing, the only option for many of these businesses was to start offering subscription or takeaway services.

Large companies such as Amazon – who have been reported to profit particularly well from the switch to ecommerce – are also being blamed for buying up large amounts of corrugated packaging. With their huge buying power, it could be argued it is highly likely that packaging suppliers have ensured that Amazon have received what smaller business would call “more than their fair share”.

GWP say that Brexit is only a 'minor issue' in the packaging shortage.

Hmm, who to believe - a leading packaging manufacturer or cactus? Tough call, but I think GWP just edges it.
Red Okktober

PreviousNext

Return to UK News