Learning about animals

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Learning about animals

Postby Major » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:38 pm

This is a very nice thread stop trying to upset it.
User avatar
Major
 
Posts: 2157
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:08 am

Re: Learning about animals

Postby McAz » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:39 pm

Markey mark wrote:It’s remarkably how swifts , swallows will fly from Africa to nest here in the summer , and the young birds fly all the way back to Africa, and amazing still they ares come back to the same nesting spot where they were born the following year


It is yes, from memory they use a sense called magnetoreception.
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 26927
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:57 am

Re: Learning about animals

Postby McAz » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:40 pm

Major wrote:This is a very nice thread stop trying to upset it.

I'm trying to discuss animals - desist from your trolling, starbold.
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 26927
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:57 am

Re: Learning about animals

Postby Markey mark » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:24 pm

McAz wrote:
Major wrote:This is a very nice thread stop trying to upset it.

I'm trying to discuss animals - desist from your trolling, starbold.




I haven’t seen a red squirrel for years , are there many in your area , are they in danger against the grey squirrel.
They tried to reintroduce the red squirrel down Regent’s Park , but the programme didn’t work because of the grey squirrels. Shame
User avatar
Markey mark
 
Posts: 1086
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:46 pm

Re: Learning about animals

Postby McAz » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:31 pm

Markey mark wrote:
McAz wrote:
Major wrote:This is a very nice thread stop trying to upset it.

I'm trying to discuss animals - desist from your trolling, starbold.




I haven’t seen a red squirrel for years , are there many in your area , are they in danger against the grey squirrel.
They tried to reintroduce the red squirrel down Regent’s Park , but the programme didn’t work because of the grey squirrels. Shame


Most of England's red squirrels live in Cumbria - and their numbers were increasing slightly until a virus hit in 2017.

You don't seem them very often - but you do see them. There are about 20,000 afaik.
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 26927
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:57 am

Re: Learning about animals

Postby Bella » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:36 pm

McAz wrote:
Markey mark wrote:
McAz wrote:
Major wrote:This is a very nice thread stop trying to upset it.

I'm trying to discuss animals - desist from your trolling, starbold.




I haven’t seen a red squirrel for years , are there many in your area , are they in danger against the grey squirrel.
They tried to reintroduce the red squirrel down Regent’s Park , but the programme didn’t work because of the grey squirrels. Shame


Most of England's red squirrels live in Cumbria - and their numbers were increasing slightly until a virus hit in 2017.

You don't seem them very often - but you do see them. There are about 20,000 afaik.


The only place I've seen them was up at Selside, feeding outside a friends window.
User avatar
Bella
 
Posts: 6182
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:04 pm

Re: Learning about animals

Postby McAz » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:42 pm

Bella wrote:
McAz wrote:
Markey mark wrote:
McAz wrote:
Major wrote:This is a very nice thread stop trying to upset it.

I'm trying to discuss animals - desist from your trolling, starbold.




I haven’t seen a red squirrel for years , are there many in your area , are they in danger against the grey squirrel.
They tried to reintroduce the red squirrel down Regent’s Park , but the programme didn’t work because of the grey squirrels. Shame


Most of England's red squirrels live in Cumbria - and their numbers were increasing slightly until a virus hit in 2017.

You don't seem them very often - but you do see them. There are about 20,000 afaik.


The only place I've seen them was up at Selside, feeding outside a friends window.


You see them in these areas mainly.

Image
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 26927
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:57 am

Re: Learning about animals

Postby Trapper John » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:33 am

I think I saw a programme once where they had re-introduced Red Squirrels on an island somewhere in the Solent I think. :dunno:

They had already externinated all the grey squirrels and were hoping to protect the red population with a view to extending the project to other areas.

Don't know if it was successful or not.
User avatar
Trapper John
Gunner.
 
Posts: 34634
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: The Emirates Stadium, Islington, London N5

Re: Learning about animals

Postby McAz » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:02 pm

Trapper John wrote:I think I saw a programme once where they had re-introduced Red Squirrels on an island somewhere in the Solent I think. :dunno:

They had already externinated all the grey squirrels and were hoping to protect the red population with a view to extending the project to other areas.

Don't know if it was successful or not.

I don't know about the Solent one but there have been many reintroduction schemes. The most recent successful one is in the north-west of Scotland where their numbers are said to be naturally expanding.
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 26927
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:57 am

Re: Learning about animals

Postby Snookerballs » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:04 pm

Here on the Isle of Wight, Red Squirrel is native to the Island the Solent is a natural barrier, especially in the more rural areas they become very tame running around in the Gardens.

Image

http://www.isleofwight.co.uk/red-squirrels-isle-wight/
User avatar
Snookerballs
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:26 pm

Re: Learning about animals

Postby jp761 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:11 pm

Snookerballs wrote:Here on the Isle of Wight, Red Squirrel is native to the Island the Solent is a natural barrier, especially in the more rural areas they become very tame running around in the Gardens.

Image

http://www.isleofwight.co.uk/red-squirrels-isle-wight/
Never mind the Red Squirrel, I'm jealous, I love the Isle of Wight. :mrgreen:
User avatar
jp761
 
Posts: 7604
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:01 pm

Re: Learning about animals

Postby Major » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:36 pm

2 wobbins in my back garden now, I went to take photo and they buggud orf.
User avatar
Major
 
Posts: 2157
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:08 am

Re: Learning about animals

Postby McAz » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:40 pm

Major wrote:2 wobbins in my back garden now, I went to take photo and they buggud orf.

That's a shame, starbold, you rarely see two robins together.
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 26927
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:57 am

Re: Learning about animals

Postby Major » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:49 pm

McAz wrote:
Major wrote:2 wobbins in my back garden now, I went to take photo and they buggud orf.

That's a shame, starbold, you rarely see two robins together.


Stop baiting me McAz and please use my proper forum name which is Major.
User avatar
Major
 
Posts: 2157
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:08 am

Re: Learning about animals

Postby McAz » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:51 pm

Major wrote:
McAz wrote:
Major wrote:2 wobbins in my back garden now, I went to take photo and they buggud orf.

That's a shame, starbold, you rarely see two robins together.


Stop baiting me McAz and please use my proper forum name which is Major.

I've never seen two robins together, starbold, hence my comment.

And I do use your proper forum name when I address you by name, no need to troll.
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 26927
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:57 am

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests