Learning about animals

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Learning about animals

Postby Major » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:38 pm

trinity wrote:666 damn your shoulder must have been black and blue :shock: . I usually get aroung 10 geese, quail or pheasents a year, plus the odd deer.

Na, shoulder was used to it.
My mate Mick, shoots 10,000 woodies per year.
I gave him my old Marlin 3 shot bolt action goose gun 2 years ago , he had 3 down with 3 successive shots.

Do you bleed, skin, gut and joint your own deer, Trinity?

It is not much use shooting more than 1 unless you can eat it all or freeze it, just a waste.
Major
Twat.

Postby trini » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:43 pm

I just b leed them I have my butcher do the rest Major, half goes to the local food bank and half in my freezer. Where I live we can shoot upto 5 deer per year.
trini

Postby curious » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:52 pm

5-deer a year! not much sport in shooting the wee bambi now is there? do they get to shoot back, I thought not ;)
curious

Postby Major » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:16 pm

trinity wrote:I just b leed them I have my butcher do the rest Major, half goes to the local food bank and half in my freezer. Where I live we can shoot upto 5 deer per year.

A very good idea to share, Trinity, I hate wastage of food.
Major
Twat.

Postby Major » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:16 pm

http://www.badger-killers.co.uk/about_badgers.html

There are several badger setts close by me.
Major
Twat.

Postby Major » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:28 pm

Whales On Heat.

Worth a watch.
Marvelous photography.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_ne ... 318182.stm
Major
Twat.

Postby trini » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:05 pm

The Arabian Horse
d05a20a66c827d7c.jpg
d05a20a66c827d7c.jpg (19.87 KiB) Viewed 1782 times

From the ancient deserts of the Middle East evolved the oldest known breed of riding horse, the Arabian. The Arabians' incredible energy, intelligence and gentle disposition allow riders to excel in most equine sports and activities. Today, Arabian horses spend as much time on the trail as they do at horse shows and other competitive events.
For thousands of years, Arabians lived among the desert tribes of the Arabian peninsula, bred by the Bedouins as war mounts for long treks and quick forays into enemy camps. In these harsh desert conditions evolved the Arabian with its large lung capacity and incredible endurance.

Historical figures like Genghis Khan, Napoleon, Alexander The Great and George Washington rode Arabians. Even today, one finds descendants from the earliest Arabian horses of antiquity. Then, a man's wealth was measured in his holdings of these fine animals. Given that the Arabian was the original source of quality and speed, and remains foremost in the fields of endurance and soundness, he still either directly or indirectly contributed to the formation of virtually all the modern breeds of horses.

Somewhere in the inhospitable deserts of the Middle East, centuries ago, a breed of horse came into being that would influence the equine world beyond all imagination. In the sweet grass oasis along the Euphrates and Tigris Rivers in the countries that are now known as Syria, Iraq, and Iran, and in other parts of the Arabia peninsula, this hearty horse developed and would soon be known as the Arabian horse. The severe climate required the nomads to share food and water, and sometimes even their tents with their horses. As a result, Arabians developed a close affinity to man and a high intelligence.

Over the centuries, the Bedouin tribes zealously maintained the purity of the breed. Because of their limited resources, breeding practices were extremely selective. Such practices, which eventually helped the Arabian become a prized possession throughout the world, have led to the beautiful athletic breed we know today, which is marked by a distinctive dished profile; large, lustrous, wide-set eyes on a broad forehead; small, curved ears; and large, efficient nostrils.
Historically the Arabian has maintained a reputation as the horse of beauty, intelligence, courage, endurance, and romance. Because he was bred and reared in close contact with man from the earliest records, and existing in mutual inter-dependence, he developed an unequaled ability to bond with humans. Indeed, his intelligence has been celebrated in thousands of anecdotes. He is gentle, affectionate, and familiar, almost to the point of being troublesome. Foals, for example, have no fear of man, and are usually indifferent to sudden noises. The Arabian gentleness and tractability, while originally the effect of education, is now inherited, and is observed in foals bred in a foreign environment.

When imported to England, the Arabian became the progenitor of the Thoroughbred. In Russia, the blood of the Arabian horse contributed largely to the development of the Orloff Trotter. In France, the animal helped make the famous Percheron. And in America, again it was the Arabian horse which became the progenitor of the Morgan and through the English Thoroughbred, to make the Trotter.

Even today the purebred Arabian is virtually the same as that ridden in ancient Arabia. Arabians now display their athletic talents in a variety of disciplines from English to Western, with the Arabian positioned as the undisputed champion of endurance events.

3cea5df03fca76c2.jpg
3cea5df03fca76c2.jpg (24.35 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
trini

Postby Major » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:24 pm

Hya Trinity. These Arabian Horses are magnificent creatures.
A good read.
Major
Twat.

Postby Major » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:29 pm

German Short Haired Pointers.

O boy these are wonderful dogs to have at your side when you are a walking gun.
My friend and his wife have bred them for years, the prizes they have won would fill a football stadium.

http://www.champdogs.co.uk/guide/german ... inter.html
Major
Twat.

Postby trini » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:36 pm

Hi Major I've used shorthairs for duck, smart animal, great looking. The AV on jezza is Trinity, she's half Arabian and half Thoroughbred and all nutjob
trini

Postby Major » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:01 pm

The majestic colourful pheasant of which many thousands are bread to be shot and eaten every year.

Pheasant Facts

Pheasant In CRPPheasant facts from Ultimatepheasanthunting.com.

* Roosters will range in weight from 3.5 to 4 lbs (1.6 to 1.8 kg)
* Hens will range in weight from 2 to 2.5 lbs (.9 to 1.1 kg)
* The insulating effect of habitat moderates windchills, thus providing a warmer and less energy-demanding microclimate for pheasants (and other wildlife)
* Birds, like dogs and cows, do not sweat to air-condition their body, they must pant (rapid inhaling and exhaling) to remove excess body heat
* Through most of the growing season, pheasants can survive on the moisture they consume in insects and the morning dew on vegetation
* Male pheasants are called 'Roosters' or 'Cocks' and females are called 'Hens'
* A typical rooster accumulates a harem of three to seven hens
* After hatching, pheasant chicks immediately begin growing flight feathers, and are capable of short flights at 2 weeks
* Pheasants do not migrate, they stay relatively local all year long
* On flat ground, a ringneck pheasant can run at speeds of 8-10mph
* Pheasants can fly up to 48mph
* During egg laying, the hen seeks out calcium and protein. Her diet will contain 10 times more calcium than the rooster's diet
* The average length of a hen is about 20" (50.8 cm) where the average length of a rooster is approximately 36" (91.4 cm)
* Pheasants main predators include: Fox, Raccoon and Skunk (as chicks) and Man, Fox, Hawks and Owls
* Pheasants, a native to China, were brought across the Pacific in 1881 by Judge Owen Nickerson Denny in an inital batch of 30 (with 26 surviving the journey)
* Pheasants eat berries, seeds, young shoots and insects and prefer open country with brushy cover
* Through most of the growing season, pheasants can survive on the moisture they consume in insects and the morning dew on vegetation
* During the summer, insects comprise considerably more of the chick's diet and weed seeds more of the adult's diet
* Hens will make from one to four attempts at nesting during the spring nesting season
* Pheasants are in the Phasianidae family and are cousins of Quail and Partridge
* The spring ratio of hens to roosters is usually about 3:1
* 30% annual survival rate and only 2-3% of population lives to age 3, whether they're hunted or not
* Pheasants, a native to China, were brought across the Pacific in 1881 by Judge Owen Nickerson Denny in an inital batch of 30 (with 26 surviving the journey)
Major
Twat.

Postby Shine » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:42 pm

Major Starbold wrote:Image

The majestic colourful pheasant of which many thousands are bread to be shot and eaten every year.

Pheasant Facts

* The insulating effect of habitat moderates windchills, thus providing a warmer and less energy-demanding microclimate for pheasants (and other wildlife)
* Birds, like dogs and cows, do not sweat to air-condition their body, they must pant (rapid inhaling and exhaling) to remove excess body heat
* After hatching, pheasant chicks immediately begin growing flight feathers, and are capable of short flights at 2 weeks
* During egg laying, the hen seeks out calcium and protein. Her diet will contain 10 times more calcium than the rooster's diet
* The average length of a hen is about 20" (50.8 cm) where the average length of a rooster is approximately 36" (91.4 cm)
* Pheasants main predators include: Fox, Raccoon and Skunk (as chicks) and Man, Fox, Hawks and Owls
* Pheasants eat berries, seeds, young shoots and insects and prefer open country with brushy cover
* During the summer, insects comprise considerably more of the chick's diet and weed seeds more of the adult's diet
* Hens will make from one to four attempts at nesting during the spring nesting season
* Pheasants are in the Phasianidae family and are cousins of Quail and Partridge
* 30% annual survival rate and only 2-3% of population lives to age 3, whether they're hunted or not

The pheasant, Major is a magnificent bird, but slow too.
Shine

Postby Shine » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:43 pm

Shine

Postby Major » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:28 pm

Shine wrote:
Major Starbold wrote:Image

Pheasant Facts

The pheasant, Major is a magnificent bird, but slow too.

Good evening Shine, how are thee?

You are right, pheasants are slow. BUT, when a gamekeeper lays out his gun stands he makes it awkward, difficult for too many easy birds to be killed, although that is the name of the game.
'testing shots', is that which it is called .
For example he can stand a gun under a very high tree which the beaters will drive the birds over, thus making a testing shot.
He can locate a gun between a very narrow gap of trees where you have very little time to see the birds and to get your gun up, thus compensating for the slow pheasant. and making another testing shot.
Stands will be placed at the side of woods, way out, so when birds do reach you they have gained height and hard to hit.
The pheasant which glides at you is a awkward bugga to kill just like those going away from you.
All in all the gamekeeper stem the easy shots.
The last estate I shot over bread 30 pure white pheasants for ornamental purposes only, they were of very poor quality to eat, thin, scraggy.
All stands are numbered and you must stay on designated stand until the whistle blows to move on or you will not be invited back.
All low birds must not be shot at for safety reasons.
Blotting your copybook ona invited shoot is suicide, you get blackballed.
Major
Twat.

Postby Major » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:36 am

I am sitting here now looking out onto my rain soaked patio watching about 8 Blue Tits feeding on my nutz. They are like lightening, swooping in, taking a a nut back to a tree and placing it on a branch fork to peck at, how the nutz do not roll off the branch I will never know.

We have always had bird boxes, tables, feeduz, the kidsz loved them.

http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/terms.htm

Have a nice read, guyz.
Major
Twat.

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug