What's A Good Breed Of Dog.

Big Threads

Re: What's A Good Breed Of Dog.

Postby 4ever2 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:18 am

NastyNickers wrote:http://imgur.com/m5I90gr

A year since I brought my pupper home! She was the biggest pup I'd ever seen. And now a huge, constantly filthy plonker.

http://imgur.com/yetvzYP

OMG - what is that fluffy bear thing, a chocolate NEWFY {newfoundland}, good grief what's she eat 25#'s of dry food every couple of days??? :yikes: Those caramel eyes ...they do speak volumes!

newfy2.jpg
4ever2

Postby NastyNickers » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:06 am

4ever2 wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:http://imgur.com/m5I90gr

A year since I brought my pupper home! She was the biggest pup I'd ever seen. And now a huge, constantly filthy plonker.

http://imgur.com/yetvzYP

OMG - what is that fluffy bear thing, a chocolate NEWFY {newfoundland}, good grief what's she eat 25#'s of dry food every couple of days??? :yikes: Those caramel eyes ...they do speak volumes!

newfy2.jpg

Yeah she's a brown newf! She eats 1.3kg of raw food a day. Not as expensive to feed as my cat!
She's gorgeous. Although a scruffy bugger. The photo of her older is just wet grass/puddle damage.
NastyNickers

Postby Vicky » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:56 pm

It must cost a fortune to feed them, still there's zero chance of them being burgled.

Vicky

Postby jp761 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:19 pm

Victoria wrote:Image

It must cost a fortune to feed them, still there's zero chance of them being burgled.

Damn better protection than most world leaders. :laughing: I must admit of all dogs Rottweilers i've found to have the most intense presence they know how powerful they are and if you don't let them know whose Boss you could be in trouble quickly! They very easily pick up if someone is showing fear.
jp761

Postby 4ever2 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:39 pm

jp761 wrote:

Damn better protection than most world leaders. :laughing: I must admit of all dogs Rottweilers i've found to have the most intense presence they know how powerful they are and if you don't let them know whose Boss you could be in trouble quickly! They very easily pick up if someone is showing fear.

But in choosing the breed/type to use for our quarter horse 'Anti-Theft Prevention' guard dogs; the ability to train Dobermans and their sharp brains/easier ability to retain the training - I preferred the Dobie Breed over the Duffus slower to train and goofy loveable power house Rotty.
While their size is the majority of their bluff - their ability to remember what side of the property line they are responsible for is always a WORK IN PROGRESS ...Dobies remember - Rotty's keep needing refresher courses. They prefer human attention - even if it's from the people coming to rob you blind :wubbers: :gigglesnshit:
4ever2

Postby Vicky » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:56 pm

jp761 wrote:

Friends of my parents had an American Pit-Bull Terrier.

They had Zac a few years before the Dangerous Dogs Act was brought in and Zac had to be neutered, tattooed and muzzled in public.

I used to take him out for a walk when we visited and people would actually cross the road to avoid walking past him.

Funny thing was, he was one of the friendliest dogs i've ever met.

:wubbers:
Vicky

Postby jp761 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:12 pm

4ever2 wrote:
jp761 wrote:

But in choosing the breed/type to use for our quarter horse 'Anti-Theft Prevention' guard dogs; the ability to train Dobermans and their sharp brains/easier ability to retain the training - I preferred the Dobie Breed over the Duffus slower to train and goofy loveable power house Rotty.
While their size is the majority of their bluff - their ability to remember what side of the property line they are responsible for is always a WORK IN PROGRESS ...Dobies remember - Rotty's keep needing refresher courses. They prefer human attention - even if it's from the people coming to rob you blind :wubbers: :gigglesnshit:
You're right, but personally I haven't had much contact with Dobermans. The German Shepherd are popular guard dogs over here in the UK and Rottweilers are generally preferred over here to Dobermans. Not sure why though.
jp761

Postby jp761 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:20 pm

Victoria wrote:
jp761 wrote:

They had Zac a few years before the Dangerous Dogs Act was brought in and Zac had to be neutered, tattooed and muzzled in public.

I used to take him out for a walk when we visited and people would actually cross the road to avoid walking past him.

Funny thing was, he was one of the friendliest dogs i've ever met.

The fear partly comes from preconceptions about certain breeds.

And of course dogs are individuals too some dogs just 'appear' more menacing than others even if this appearance may not actually be true.
jp761

Postby 4ever2 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:48 pm

jp761 wrote:
Funny thing was, he was one of the friendliest dogs i've ever met. :wubbers:

I'll stick my neck out on this 'Pit Bull' ban issue and categorically state; it isn't the breed but the owners fault pure & simple!
Take any breed dog and allow them to run willy-nilly without proper socialization & training and they will be aggressive ...the worst type of dogs to bite the utility meter reader/postman/delivery driver are those tiny ankle biters that just sneak up on you and nail your ankles and the owner is standing there admonishing them "now - now, naughty darling you made that human BLEED, shame on you!"
And those millions of bites rarely get: a.) reported b.) courting fines c.) media print
But you let some 'FUCK-WIT' lame/lazy Staffordshire Owner let their dog(s) unattended and untrained to run amok and the entire breed gets a BLACK EYE and social fear because they are irresponsible pet owner(s)!
I've spent far too many rescue runs finding unfortunate fighting rings in rural KS locations that have housed 'fighting operations' and dying/abused/dogs that just wouldn't fight back but ended up being used as the 'training toy' for the other aggressive ones! Horror stories and images that are just far too many and far too hard to forget.
I've worked with many a local city council trying to re-write their Animal Control ordinance to NOT BE so exclusive and more pro-active towards all Responsible ownership; putting the responsibility back upon the owner and NOT BANNING a breed of dog - ie Pit-Bull/Staffordshire. By making a guideline for insurance liability policy of $50,000 per vicious dog breed per dog that the owner has on their property and limitations to total number of dogs per household to 4. Unless they are operating a rescue kennel or a breeder kennel then they have to apply for special permit for that as well.

jp761 wrote:
You're right, but personally I haven't had much contact with Dobermans. The German Shepherd are popular guard dogs over here in the UK and Rottweilers are generally preferred over here to Dobermans. Not sure why though.

Just my POV, but I think far too many people think that they have to 'snip & clip' those Doby ears instead of leaving them ole' natural and often people that breed & sell for profit will apply pressure upon the puppy buyer to 'snip & clip' those Doby ears so they remain the dog standard.
I'll dock a tail {they just have far too many injuries - as with the Dane's, that it's just easier on the puppy to do it when they are little} but no - I never 'Snipped & Clipped' those lovely natural ears. But Doby's don't do well in frigid weather where the German Shepard/Belgian Malinois are far more suited for the extreme weather conditions that our law enforcement & troops/search & rescue situations are often put in.
4ever2

Postby jp761 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:25 pm

http://primitivedogs.com/wp-content/upl ... -smell.jpg Who doesn't love a Siberian Husky. :laughing:
jp761

Postby guest » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:40 pm

My ex has six Rottweilers and lives in a bus with them in Cornwall. The bus is fenced off and has a patch of land around it which is the fenced off bit. He does woodwork for a living to feed them all.

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:43 pm

jp761 wrote:http://primitivedogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Husky-hates-dog-shampoo-smell.jpg Who doesn't love a Siberian Husky. :laughing:

That's a nice looking animal. He / she looks like it's thinking hard about something, probably wondering what the camera is.

Postby jp761 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:49 pm

Guest wrote:
jp761 wrote:http://primitivedogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Husky-hates-dog-shampoo-smell.jpg Who doesn't love a Siberian Husky. :laughing:

That's a nice looking animal. He / she looks like it's thinking hard about something, probably wondering what the camera is.
:laughing: Here's something the Canadian Eskimo Dog AKA the Canadian Husky taking on a Polar Bear. And these dogs cost an insane amount of money.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/11/ ... 190205.jpg
jp761

Postby Vicky » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:45 am

Vicky

Postby 4ever2 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:22 pm

RUMOR HAS IT ~~~
NEW YORK – Just one year after coming so close, one year after she was favored to win, Rumor returned, and captured the highest honor in her sport. The German shepherd won Best in Show at the 141st Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden, one year after falling short to CJ, a German shorthaired pointer, in the same competition.
Rumor (GCH CH Lockenhaus' Rumor Has It V Kenlyn) is a five-and-a-half year old female, hailing from Edgerton, Wis., at Kenlyn Kennels, co-owned by Pamela McElheney and Kent Boyles, who is a breeder, owner, and handler.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/20 ... /97921424/

I've always loved this breed, and often wished I had the room to foster/rescue large breed dogs; I'd be handling Boxers & German Shepard's. But this was fantastic IMO
4ever2

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive