Kitten Thread

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Kitten Thread

Postby Snuffleupagus » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:55 am

This'll be good, on later this week:

Exposed: the secret life of your pet cat

WHEN it comes to the world of cats, TS Eliot was right. The inscrutable creatures of the night really are likely to have three different names.

An audacious experiment to discover what felines get up to on their nocturnal adventures has discovered they are as fickle, fussy and finicky as the great poet wrote.

Far from being loyal and devoted pets, your average moggie seems quite happy to share affections with other owners if there is tastier food or more cuddles on offer.

Using the latest satellite technology and miniature “cat cam” cameras attached to collars, researchers have been able to build up the most comprehensive insight into their midnight activities.

The outcome is revealed in this week’s edition of BBC2 science programme Horizon and follows the movements of 50 pets living in the Surrey village of Shamley Green, supposedly the place with the greatest number of pet cats in the country.

Producers tracked the animals as they roamed, squabbled, hunted and did what comes naturally around the village while its human inhabitants slept, and were left amazed at their readiness to visit other homes.

Professor Alan Wilson of the Royal Veterinary College, an expert on Africa’s big cats and who has recently been studying cheetahs, turned his attentions to domestic pets after realising science knows more about lions and tigers than the average domesticated moggie. Besides fitting a GPS tracker to plot the cats’ movements, he also had to adapt the collar cameras so they would switch on when the animals were not asleep, otherwise there would have been endless hours of static film.

When the footage was finally reviewed, the results were highly illuminating and proved long-held beliefs that cats are so cunning and disloyal they are not averse to make nightly visits to other homes to feed.

“We had so much footage from cats going through other people’s cat flaps that, in the end, we had to adapt the GPS system,” Professor Wilson told the Radio Times. “We can’t show the interiors of people’s houses, especially when they did not even know how many cats were in their house.

The researchers Dr John Bradshaw, Dr Sarah Ellis and Professor Alan Wilson

We had so much footage from cats going through other people’s cat flaps that, in the end, we had to adapt the GPS system
Professor Wilson told Radio Times
“They sleep a lot, but they also make friendship groups. We found that they almost come out in a rota. If there is a cat out and about whom they don’t get on with, they stay in until that cat goes back home.

....The Secret World Of The Cat is on BBC2 at 9pm this Thursday.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/406148 ... ur-pet-cat

:cat:
Snuffleupagus

Postby Stooo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:17 pm

The cat’s meow is her way of communicating with people. Cats meow for many reasons—to say hello, to ask for things, and to tell us when something’s wrong. Meowing is an interesting vocalization in that adult cats don’t actually meow at each other, just at people. Kittens meow to let their mother know they’re cold or hungry, but once they get a bit older, cats no longer meow to other cats. But they continue to meow to people throughout their lives, probably because meowing gets people to do what they want. Cats also yowl—a sound similar to the meow but more drawn out and melodic. Unlike meowing, adult cats do yowl at one another, specifically during breeding season.

http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/virtual-p ... nd-yowling

The more you know...
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Kat » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:37 pm

ive got the cat programme set in reminder to tape on catch up
Kat

Postby Stooo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:20 pm

Kat wrote:ive got the cat programme set in reminder to tape on catch up

I'll try to watch it in the next couple of days.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Snuffleupagus » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:28 pm

Stooo wrote:

It's not on until Thursday. :laughing:
Snuffleupagus

Postby Stooo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:29 pm

Snuffleupagus wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Well shit. Best I read the whole thread in future :mrgreen:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Snuffleupagus » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:37 pm

Stooo wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Well shit. Best I read the whole thread in future :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:
Snuffleupagus

Postby justpoppedin » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:42 pm

Watched it, fascinating it was, especially the nory one who kept coming through a neighbours cat flap, eating the food for her cat, then going back out. :smilin:
justpoppedin

Postby Snuffleupagus » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:49 pm

justpoppedin wrote:Watched it, fascinating it was, especially the nory one who kept coming through a neighbours cat flap, eating the food for her cat, then going back out. :smilin:

Oooh, I'd forgotten about it 'cause I was out last night, but I've got it recorded to watch sometime, soon as I get chance. :cat:
Snuffleupagus

Postby justpoppedin » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:52 pm

Have not had a cat since childhood,, grandparents had one, would like one ,but my daughter and grandson has asthma, so might make them poorly, pity ,love a cat of our own, but don't like the neighbours cats plopping in my garden...selfish I know.
:smilin: Both sons have cats, in their lives. :smilin:
justpoppedin

Postby Vicky » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:12 am

justpoppedin wrote:Watched it, fascinating it was, especially the nory one who kept coming through a neighbours cat flap, eating the food for her cat, then going back out. :smilin:

That reminds me of the wee cat that lives beside my Aunt. He strolls in now and again, eats some of her cats food then wanders out again. :laughing:

Vicky

Postby trini » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:22 am

Victoria wrote:

That reminds me of the wee cat that lives beside my Aunt. He strolls in now and again, eats some of her cats food then wanders out again. :laughing:

It took MB a few days a few days of milk and tuna to come in. Now he won't leave.

I can leave the doors open.

Nadda gonna happen.
trini

Postby Snuffleupagus » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:56 pm

My boy clawed my hand last night, right at the base of my little finger.

Today my knuckle has come out in a bruise, and it's been quite stiff and sore. :ooer:

Bless him. :laughing:
Snuffleupagus

Postby Stooo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:03 am

Snuffleupagus wrote:My boy clawed my hand last night, right at the base of my little finger.

Today my knuckle has come out in a bruise, and it's been quite stiff and sore. :ooer:

My life is filled with scars :shake head:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Snuffleupagus » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:24 am

Stooo wrote:
Snuffleupagus wrote:My boy clawed my hand last night, right at the base of my little finger.

My life is filled with scars :shake head:

Both my mogs are from rescue centres, younger girl I got as a kitten, she's 16 months now, and very playful - and far too clever, gets up to all sorts of tricks and antics. Older boy was a year old when I got him a few years ago, think he'd been mistreated, so he understandably has a bit of "cattitude" at times, much calmer and cuddlier now though than when I first got him. :ooer:

Even just playing with kittens though - as you know - they scratch sometimes without you even noticing until red marks appear the next day.

Sweeties :wubwub:
Snuffleupagus

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug