The Execution Of Gary Glitter

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

The Execution Of Gary Glitter

Postby Stooo » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:59 pm

Did anyone else watch this docu-drama tonight? A powerful film with a strong message, do we really want revenge killings in a civilised society?
Stooo
Site Admin

Re: The Execution Of Gary Glitter

Postby Rollup. » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:57 pm

I watched it ...very well done.
Will he sue ...can he sue?
Rollup.

Postby kitty » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:38 am

I thought it wouldnt work as a idea, but it was excellent. Thought provoking stuff.
kitty

Postby Stooo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:12 am

Using media personalities such as Miranda Sawyer, Garry Bushell and Ann Widdecombe added to the reality of the program and Hilton McRae was an excellent choice to play Glitter.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby charlie » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:36 am

I didn't watch it, but it sounds as if was in extremely bad taste. Whatever he has done, we don't have the death penalty in this country, so to use someone famous (or infamous) to get viewing figures is disgusting IMO.
charlie

Postby Stooo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:41 am

Fenella wrote:I didn't watch it, but it sounds as if was in extremely bad taste. Whatever he has done, we don't have the death penalty in this country, so to use someone famous (or infamous) to get viewing figures is disgusting IMO.

I understand that Gadd was contacted for approval of the programme. Watch it here:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the- ... od#3008769
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby charlie » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:43 am

Stooo wrote:
Fenella wrote:I didn't watch it, but it sounds as if was in extremely bad taste. Whatever he has done, we don't have the death penalty in this country, so to use someone famous (or infamous) to get viewing figures is disgusting IMO.

I understand that Gadd was contacted for approval of the programme. Watch it here:

Even so, it's still in bad taste. I presume they used a real person who was well known and who is reviled to get their point across, but to me it smacks of shameless money making. What was the point of it? To pursuade the public that we should have capital punishment here?
charlie

Postby Stooo » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:49 am

Fenella wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Even so, it's still in bad taste. I presume they used a real person who was well known and who is reviled to get their point across, but to me it smacks of shameless money making. What was the point of it? To pursuade the public that we should have capital punishment here?

I doubt the political ethos of Channel 4 would support the death penalty. I suppose the point was to educate people ignorant of the execution process and to try to get them to empathise in some way with the condemned person, the use of Gadd was undoubtedly to sensationalise and promote it. I wonder what the response would have been if they had used Huntley instead?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:52 am

Stooo wrote:

Free publicity for him.

Postby Rollup. » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:32 pm

It was meant to be thought provoking and it was.
It was meant to get people thinking and talking ...it has.
Good taste and bad taste is meaningless in the context of the programme outraged of suburbia ....
Rollup.

Postby Claire » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:08 pm

I'm going to watch that at the weekend. Thanks for posting the link Stooo. :thumbsup:
Claire

Postby captains log » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:23 pm

bit silly really :roll: glitter served his time in an english prison and in a vietnamese one :twisted: if in a parallel universe we sentence people to death on unreliable evidence collected in another country,for whatever crime,we may as well throw a rope over a lampost and string the fuckers up :thud:
captains log

Postby Old Plank » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:53 pm

captains log wrote:bit silly really :roll: glitter served his time in an english prison and in a vietnamese one :twisted: if in a parallel universe we sentence people to death on unreliable evidence collected in another country,for whatever crime,we may as well throw a rope over a lampost and string the fuckers up :thud:

All the kids had a choice all they had to do was say NO :pmsl:
Old Plank

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug