Luck - Fate - there for the grace of God. What is it?

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Luck - Fate - there for the grace of God. What is it?

Postby Trapper John » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:04 am

My daughter was telling me Saturday about a friend of hers from school days, a lovely girl who suffered from Cystic Fibrosis, I met her a couple of times, years ago.

She read on facebook that she'd died last week, just 25 years old, the poor girl had succumbed to the illness or something associated with it. Her mother had also died when the girl was just 14 years old, I can't imagine how the father must feel now.

It made me think because it has always seemed to me that some people, families etc., appear to have far worse 'bad luck' than others, almost cursed with it, whilst others have very little go wrong in their lives.

I've known people who have lost many loved ones, sometimes in the most distressing of circumstances and it happens almost like clockwork, one dreadful event after another.

Yet where I'm concerned, very little has happened. I have a Father of 91 years, a Mother of 87 years, three brothers, two in their 50's one in his 60's, all of us have children, and most of those in turn have children - yet not one of us, through all those generations has had any life threatening illnesses or diseases or deaths - for which I'm eternally grateful.

Is there such a thing as fate? - are we destined to walk a path already mapped out? - is it luck or just genetics? ...... I just know that some people have life much harder than others ..... I just wonder why?
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Re: Luck - Fate - there for the grace of God. What is it?

Postby Vicky » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:07 am

TJ, i'm going to move this thread into the Snug.
Vicky

Postby Dean » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:08 am

For every TJ there is a Lexi. You're Bruce Willis to her Samuel L in the film Unbreakable
Dean

Postby Raggamuffin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:08 am

Cystic fibrosis is a genetic, inherited disorder - not much to do with luck really. It's caused by a recessive gene so I suppose there's some bad luck involved.
Raggamuffin

Postby Trapper John » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:33 am

Raggamuffin wrote:Cystic fibrosis is a genetic, inherited disorder - not much to do with luck really. It's caused by a recessive gene so I suppose there's some bad luck involved.

Thanks for the medical lesson - I was only using her case to ponder a greater question as to why some people appear to have tragedy follow them around and others don't.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Raggamuffin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:38 am

Trapper John wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Cystic fibrosis is a genetic, inherited disorder - not much to do with luck really. It's caused by a recessive gene so I suppose there's some bad luck involved.

Thanks for the medical lesson - I was only using her case to ponder a greater question as to why some people appear to have tragedy follow them around and others don't.

Well that's what happens with hereditary conditions.
Raggamuffin

Postby Sundaze » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:47 pm

Trapper John wrote:

Luck of the draw?
Sundaze

Postby Trapper John » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:59 pm

Sundaze wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

Luck of the draw?

Well I guess so, but continually? ...... you'd think they'd get some breaks. :dunno: ....I mean there are some real proper misery magnets out there.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Postby Whisper » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:48 pm

It is surely just a matter of sad coincidences. When I heard the news this morning that one in two of us will get cancer in our lifetimes I thought that could mean half of my family.
Whisper

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug