burials

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

burials

Postby Markey mark » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:15 pm

Last couple of weeks been working in a Jewish cemetery , week Friday just gone , they buried some that died Friday morning 8am , by 12 noon the family had buried her , she must of had a long illness and didn't need a post mortem , with the very religious Jews this is common as it's part of their religion I was told , been thinking about when I buried my dad it taken nearly two weeks , the wait knowing he was in a freezer etc wasn't nice , the wait to bury him seem like a life time , any deaths of love ones isn't easy , but think the Jewish way is a good way , as soon your dead , bury them the same day if no post mortem is needed ,
Markey mark

Re: burials

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:21 pm

yea my mom and dad both waited 3 weeks
i cremated my mom on xmas eve 2012
but it was ok
it was like she planned it
my mom was like that
she always had an answer for everything
even if i knew it was utter bullshit
i could prove wrong
she belived in god and the ressurection
i wouldnt deny her or anyone ther beliefs
i just dont want government having anything to do with it
:thumbsup:
Big Fat Frosty

Postby Bella » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:25 pm

Markey mark wrote:Last couple of weeks been working in a Jewish cemetery , week Friday just gone , they buried some that died Friday morning 8am , by 12 noon the family had buried her , she must of had a long illness and didn't need a post mortem , with the very religious Jews this is common as it's part of their religion I was told , been thinking about when I buried my dad it taken nearly two weeks , the wait knowing he was in a freezer etc wasn't nice , the wait to bury him seem like a life time , any deaths of love ones isn't easy , but think the Jewish way is a good way , as soon your dead , bury them the same day if no post mortem is needed ,

I agree it's good get it all over as fast as possible. Don't most people use a chapel of rest though rather than a hospital freezer?
Bella

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:29 pm

Bella wrote:
Markey mark wrote:Last couple of weeks been working in a Jewish cemetery , week Friday just gone , they buried some that died Friday morning 8am , by 12 noon the family had buried her , she must of had a long illness and didn't need a post mortem , with the very religious Jews this is common as it's part of their religion I was told , been thinking about when I buried my dad it taken nearly two weeks , the wait knowing he was in a freezer etc wasn't nice , the wait to bury him seem like a life time , any deaths of love ones isn't easy , but think the Jewish way is a good way , as soon your dead , bury them the same day if no post mortem is needed ,

I agree it's good get it all over as fast as possible. Don't most people use a chapel of rest though rather than a hospital freezer?

no
the crematoriams get backed up in winter
3 weeks in a chapel of rest would get very fucked up
Big Fat Frosty

Postby Bella » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:45 pm

Big Fat Frosty wrote:
Bella wrote:

no

O.K, I'm not wanting to think about it too much at the moment.

I find the "Chapel of rest" a bit tacky though with the fake flowers etc but they made my Dad and Bro look O.K and it helps to see someone dead so you don't think it's all a nightmare you'll wake up from. I never got to see my Mum though, post mortem etc.
Bella

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:49 pm

for the best
last time i saw my mom she was still my mom
full of herself like it was just a little setback
still in control
im glad of that
Big Fat Frosty

Postby Stooo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:59 pm

Muslims do the same, it's a Semitic tradition that exists because of the obvious health risks that happen when you allow deceased people to hang around too long in hot climates before being buried. The ban on pork in both religions is due to similar ancient health and safety rules, pork flesh is similar to human and it goes off in the same way.

I have never arranged or conducted a funeral of either faith but some taboos are still in people's minds. I was making arrangements for a Catholic gentleman with his daughter and son-in-law and they were sure that he had to be buried as soon as possible according to his faith. I explained during the discussion that cremation was now an official option for Catholics and there is no strict time limit, the funeral was held two weeks later and concluded in a cremation.

Personally I have always informed clients that a bit longer is often better, it gives time for chapel visits of the deceased, travel plans for distant relatives and plenty of time to sort out the reams of paperwork that are necessary for every funeral, three weeks is the time that I would advise especially if there is a religious service before the disposal because of Clergy and venue and also to perhaps get local organisations involved with the funeral such as the British Legion who may want to have standard bearers present at the final appearance of an old colleague.

When I was arranging my dad's funeral we agreed on three weeks after his passing because of his standing in the local community. Some people are of the attitude of getting it all over as soon as possible and forgetting about it, in my personal view this is an error. You will remember the day and not just because of the horrible circumstances involved in it's origin. Having people able to pay tribute or make eulogys can provide great comfort to the bereaved and assists with the grief process. I was a very honoured son who marched his dad to and back from the church in front of the hearse and then to the crematorium and although a day of sadness, it was also a day of wonderful tributes and old stories of a man who touched the hearts of many people. I will never forget it, nor do I ever want to.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Bella » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:01 pm

Big Fat Frosty wrote:for the best
last time i saw my mom she was still my mom
full of herself like it was just a little setback
still in control
im glad of that

My Dad was 90 when he passed with his cap on etc and we drank whisky to toast him, him being very scottish, it felt like a normal passing.

My Mum and Bro died in more tragic circumstances though. Not easy to deal with.
Bella

Postby Stooo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:01 pm

Bella wrote:

Use of freezing facilities are not common, a chilled environment is generally fine for up to a month.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:04 pm

Big Fat Frosty wrote:
Bella wrote:

no

There is no backup at anytime, cremations are carried out on the day of the service.

Deceased people are moved to the chapel of rest for viewing and moved back to environmentally controlled conditions straight after a visit.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Bella » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:09 pm

Stooo wrote:
Big Fat Frosty wrote:
Bella wrote:

no

There is no backup at anytime, cremations are carried out on the day of the service.

Deceased people are moved to the chapel of rest for viewing and moved back to environmentally controlled conditions straight after a visit.

So they are only in that room for a viewing and then moved back to a fridge. I never thought too much about it

Fuck, I wish I'd never logged on tonight, nightmares ahead....
Bella

Postby Stooo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:13 pm

Bella wrote:
Big Fat Frosty wrote:
Bella wrote:

no

O.K, I'm not wanting to think about it too much at the moment.

I find the "Chapel of rest" a bit tacky though with the fake flowers etc but they made my Dad and Bro look O.K and it helps to see someone dead so you don't think it's all a nightmare you'll wake up from. I never got to see my Mum though, post mortem etc.

I often took bereaved people into the chapel of rest, one lady broke down when she saw her mum and told me that her mum had suffered with arthritis for many years and was in constant pain. She was crying because she looked peaceful and had been rested with her hands looking relaxed and not clawed into themselves.

I totally endorse visiting your loved ones when they have passed, they are beyond the pain and bullshit now and even a short visit confirms that and helps you move on.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:18 pm

Bella wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Big Fat Frosty wrote:
Bella wrote:

no

So they are only in that room for a viewing and then moved back to a fridge. I never thought too much about it

Fuck, I wish I'd never logged on tonight, nightmares ahead....

It's all done with the utmost respect, the deceased is a person and is treated like one. A lift up some stairs? 'A little bump Mr ****** '

Calling the environmentally controlled area a fridge would be disrespectful to it's purpose.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Bella » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:24 pm

Stooo wrote:It's all done with the utmost respect, the deceased is a person and is treated like one. A lift up some stairs? 'A little bump Mr ****** '

Calling the environmentally controlled area a fridge would be disrespectful to it's purpose.

How do they dress a person ready to view, Stoo, I've been wondering although not dared to look it up.
Bella

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:30 pm

i got a shock at my moms funeral
it was packed out standing at the back
i didnt know hardly any of them
she worked in the local shop
and they all turned out
customers n wotnot
was really nice
Big Fat Frosty