Speeding

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Speeding

Postby Foxy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:39 am

I've got to go on a Speed Awareness course next week as I got caught doing 38 mph in a 30 mpg area. Fair cop, I shouldn't have been doing it but asking around, it seems loads of people are getting them at the moment. Are the police short of funds?
Foxy

Re: Speeding

Postby Trapper John » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:45 am

Foxy wrote:I've got to go on a Speed Awareness course next week as I got caught doing 38 mph in a 30 mpg area. Fair cop, I shouldn't have been doing it but asking around, it seems loads of people are getting them at the moment. Are the police short of funds?

In short, yes ...... since the government stopped funding the upkeep of speed cameras, they have to make it up elsewhere, so there's been a huge increase in police speed traps.

How much is yours costing? ....... when I got done about 10 years ago in the Limehouse Link it was a fairly new option, it cost me £90.00 and half a day of my time, a bargain considering the fine would have been £60.00 and three points on my licence.

BTW, you only get offered the speed awareness course if you haven't committed a speeding offence in the previous three years.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Vicky » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:29 am

I swear some people get their driving licence by mail order.

There's far too many nutcases on the road and the moron that came round a corner this morning in the pishing rain, like a bat out of hell and nearly ran into the side of me!!

Shouldn't be allowed a scooter, never mind anything else.
Vicky

Postby Foxy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:24 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Foxy wrote:I've got to go on a Speed Awareness course next week as I got caught doing 38 mph in a 30 mpg area. Fair cop, I shouldn't have been doing it but asking around, it seems loads of people are getting them at the moment. Are the police short of funds?

In short, yes ...... since the government stopped funding the upkeep of speed cameras, they have to make it up elsewhere, so there's been a huge increase in police speed traps.

How much is yours costing? ....... when I got done about 10 years ago in the Limehouse Link it was a fairly new option, it cost me £90.00 and half a day of my time, a bargain considering the fine would have been £60.00 and three points on my licence.

BTW, you only get offered the speed awareness course if you haven't committed a speeding offence in the previous three years.

My course is also costing £90 for 1/2 day, but the alternative would have been £100 + 3 points, so cheaper for me plus no points. Had I been going faster I wouldn't have had the option of doing the course. No idea if I have to inform my insurance company but I'll ask next week, unless anyone here knows ???
Foxy

Postby Trapper John » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:32 pm

Foxy wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

My course is also costing £90 for 1/2 day, but the alternative would have been £100 + 3 points, so cheaper for me plus no points. Had I been going faster I wouldn't have had the option of doing the course. No idea if I have to inform my insurance company but I'll ask next week, unless anyone here knows ???

No you don't - you won't have your licence endorsed so no record will be appear at DVLA so there is nothing to inform them of.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Foxy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:50 pm

That's good news. I didn't really want to. Any excuse to part you from your money is their motto :roll:
Foxy

Postby Stooo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:39 pm

Foxy wrote:
Trapper John wrote:

I did one in the summer, 35 in a 30. Cost £80 for the course compared to £100 fine and points and I found it informative and helpful. Some insurance companies will load you for attending and some will give you a discount but you are under no obligation to inform them if you don't wish to.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Foxy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:21 pm

Thanks, although it didn't occur to me that they might see it as an advantage. Perhaps I'd better read the small print on my policy.
Foxy

Postby Stooo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:32 pm

Foxy wrote:Thanks, although it didn't occur to me that they might see it as an advantage. Perhaps I'd better read the small print on my policy.

Just talk to the instructors on the day, they really are very helpful.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:36 pm

Foxy wrote:Thanks, although it didn't occur to me that they might see it as an advantage. Perhaps I'd better read the small print on my policy.

It's really simple. All you have to do is not go above the speed limit. After all if you are driving in a built up area, all you are doing is driving in a relatively responsible way

Postby Stooo » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:47 pm

Guest wrote:

It's really simple. All you have to do is not go above the speed limit. After all if you are driving in a built up area, all you are doing is driving in a relatively responsible way

That's kind of the point , genius... :again?:

The majority of the people in the course that I was on were around my age, complacency sets in and a reality check is better than a road death. It's a 50/50 chance at 35.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:51 pm

Stooo wrote:
Guest wrote:

The majority of the people in the course that I was on were around my age, complacency sets in and a reality check is better than a road death. It's a 50/50 chance at 35.

Well plug face, no need to be so rude. I think we agreed that all you needed to do was to slow down, and then there would be no charges

Postby Stooo » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:08 am

Guest wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Guest wrote:

Well plug face, no need to be so rude. I think we agreed that all you needed to do was to slow down, and then there would be no charges

You missed my point about complacency :shoot:

Plug face, WTF? :yikes:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:28 am

Stooo wrote:
Guest wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Guest wrote:

Driving in a reasonable fashion is really not very hard. If you choose to be complacent, then you are choosing to be a complete dick head. Clearly any moron between here and I want to shove my head in an electrical cheese grater can see that.

Postby Stooo » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:42 am

Guest wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Guest wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Guest wrote:

Driving in a reasonable fashion is really not very hard. If you choose to be complacent, then you are choosing to be a complete dick head. Clearly any moron between here and I want to shove my head in an electrical cheese grater can see that.

Sorry? :dunno:
Stooo
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug