Time Machine

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Time Machine

Postby Frank39 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:44 pm

Idly web surfing last night, I came across an American Forum where someone had posted;
If you somehow came into possession of a Time Machine, what would you do?
Unsurprisingly quite a lot of posters said they'd go back and strangle Hitler at birth, slightly less, (as far as I read), wanted to do the same to Mohammed.
Some felt that way about Adam and Eve, some about Jesus Christ.
Some Southerners, still smarting about losing the Civil War I guess, wanted to go back to the third day at Gettysburg, and make Pickett's charge a success, smash the Yankees, then move on to Washington D.C. and shorten the war.
Anyone have any ideas of their own?
Personally I thought that I might go back to the fateful evening last century, when I walked into The Swan, (now closed), at Bricklayers Arms, SE London, got struck by un coup de foudre, and fell bang in love with a beautiful girl.
This time I'd do an about turn and head for The Pagoda, Tower Bridge Road, then maybe I'd still be married to my first wife, avoiding years of self inflicted anguish in trying to make it up to her and my sons.
The romance of the century came to nothing by the way, and after a few years in the wilderness, I had the good fortune to meet my second, and last, please God, wife.
Frank39

Re: Time Machine

Postby Random » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:55 pm

Frank39 wrote:Idly web surfing last night, I came across an American Forum where someone had posted;
Unsurprisingly quite a lot of posters said they'd go back and strangle Hitler at birth, slightly less, (as far as I read), wanted to do the same to Mohammed.
Some Southerners, still smarting about losing the Civil War I guess, wanted to go back to the third day at Gettysburg, and make Pickett's charge a success, smash the Yankees, then move on to Washington D.C. and shorten the war.
Personally I thought that I might go back to the fateful evening last century, when I walked into The Swan, (now closed), at Bricklayers Arms, SE London, got struck by un coup de foudre, and fell bang in love with a beautiful girl.
This time I'd do an about turn and head for The Pagoda, Tower Bridge Road, then maybe I'd still be married to my first wife, avoiding years of self inflicted anguish in trying to make it up to her and my sons.
The romance of the century came to nothing by the way, and after a few years in the wilderness, I had the good fortune to meet my second, and last, please God, wife.

Don't ever regret falling in love, even if it stung.

I'd go back to the building of the pyrimids, and other temples. And as I have a time machine I could then decide what to do after that.
Random

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:29 pm

I would travel back in time and made sure Slavery never started.

Postby Keyser » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:22 pm

I would go back as a young child to 1982 - and change absolutely everything that stemmed from there.

Otherwise there are far too many things to name so just a few examples.

Various periods in prehistory especially the age of the non-avian dinosaurs, how the Great Pyramid was really constructed and find out just who the Whitechapel Murderer was (probably a pathetic nonentity). :thumbsup:
Keyser

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:39 pm

The day before religion gained mass addiction and then be able to somehow turn this mass hysteria into something a bit more positive

Postby Stooo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:17 pm

I'm a bit conflicted. The likelihood that my kids wouldn't exist as they are sort of restricts me basically from the point that I was born.

I think I'll pass... :ooer:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:35 pm

Stooo wrote:I'm a bit conflicted. The likelihood that my kids wouldn't exist as they are sort of restricts me basically from the point that I was born.

That's the thing, you can only change things to a point mentally, as none off us can preclude our children from our 'if only's'

Postby Frank39 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:15 am

Random wrote:
Frank39 wrote:Idly web surfing last night, I came across an American Forum where someone had posted;

I get where you're coming from, better to have loved and lost etc., and it took years and years for her memory to gradually fade from my brain, although truth be told, it still lingers a tad as you can see.
If I could have located the cretin who first said, "time heals all wounds", I'd have somehow got my hands on a 9mm handgun, and tracked him/her down around the world, and emptied the clip into them.
:grrrrr:
Frank39

Postby Trapper John » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:37 am

Frank39 wrote:
Random wrote:

I get where you're coming from, better to have loved and lost etc., and it took years and years for her memory to gradually fade from my brain, although truth be told, it still lingers a tad as you can see.
If I could have located the cretin who first said, "time heals all wounds", I'd have somehow got my hands on a 9mm handgun, and tracked him/her down around the world, and emptied the clip into them.

While you're there at the Bricklayers arms Frank - stick up a sign that says - Please don't rename the road behind it after a south African terrorist who the Ultra liberal left will be turning into a saint, sometime in the near future. :thumbsup:
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Stooo » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:19 pm

Guest wrote:
Stooo wrote:I'm a bit conflicted. The likelihood that my kids wouldn't exist as they are sort of restricts me basically from the point that I was born.

That's the thing, you can only change things to a point mentally, as none off us can preclude our children from our 'if only's'

Tie that into the grandfather paradox and you've really fucked things up :ooer:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:29 pm

Stooo wrote:
Guest wrote:

Probably best you don't do any travelling, time or any otherwise

Postby Stooo » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:33 pm

Guest wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Guest wrote:

I do around 200 miles a day. Probably best that you shut the fuck up.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:49 pm

Stooo wrote:
Guest wrote:

Touchy little flower aren't ya

Postby Stooo » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:58 pm

Guest wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Guest wrote:

Touchy little flower aren't ya

It's my shame...
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Frank39 » Sun May 01, 2016 7:02 pm

Trapper John wrote:
Frank39 wrote:
Random wrote:

While you're there at the Bricklayers arms Frank - stick up a sign that says - Please don't rename the road behind it after a south African terrorist who the Ultra liberal left will be turning into a saint, sometime in the near future. :thumbsup:

On the not unreasonable assumption that you're talking about the road that runs from Pages Walk to the Old Kent Road Tesco, by Dunton Road; Mandela Way, then I may be a little early with my time machine.
My best estimate is that it got its name sometime between the late eighties and 1992, my (mis)adventures occurred in the seventies, a thousand pardons, my Arsenal friend.
Frank39

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug